Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2014, 09:15 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

I wish I had expressed my thoughts on an Ebola vaccine earlier. I figured the reason there wasn't a lot of research being done on such a vaccine was that the outbreaks in the past had involved small numbers of people. Ebola wasn't really a public health threat until this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 09:31 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
That is a very comprehensive response. There are numerous examples of small markets where governments sponsor or ask companies to develop expensive drugs. Some are reimbursed and some are not. It is seen as a component of corporate responsibility and while I understand the arguments against from the companies point of view, good will towards others is seen as a universal good.

As an example Infliximab was developed by Johnson and Johnson at the request of the Federal Government for Crohns Disease. Not a large market but the suffering it caused was dramatic in young people. So J&J began Centocor which over years developed a medication Remicade which is now a guzillion $ success for many forms of Crohns, arthritis, and spawned the "next" generation of anti TNF medications. So there is potential value in these risks.
There are incentives to develop what are referred to as orphan drugs.

Developing Products for Rare Diseases & Conditions

I still think that Dr. Margaret Chan's use of the word "greedy" was uncalled for.

Old 11-05-2014, 05:50 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are incentives to develop what are referred to as orphan drugs.

Developing Products for Rare Diseases & Conditions

I still think that Dr. Margaret Chan's use of the word "greedy" was uncalled for.
Yes; I understand. However, Dr. Chan is one to speak her mind as we see. Many would agree with her. I posted the article to reflect W.H.O.'s frustration with many opportunities to develop a competent vaccine as early as 10 years ago and to have it ready. I think you'll agree that if Ebola had the track record it does in France or Texas the vaccine would already be delivered and in use today.

This has been a wake up call for the world. The "next" one may not be as localized or as charitable in it's vector or it's transmission.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:14 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quit with the presumption that vaccines are "the way".

Vaccines are afraud with misgivens.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:40 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I wish I had expressed my thoughts on an Ebola vaccine earlier. I figured the reason there wasn't a lot of research being done on such a vaccine was that the outbreaks in the past had involved small numbers of people. Ebola wasn't really a public health threat until this year.
WHO only declared Ebola a emerging international threat in August, less than three months ago.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Quit with the presumption that vaccines are "the way".

Vaccines are afraud with misgivens.
You might have to explain this a little better.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Yes; I understand. However, Dr. Chan is one to speak her mind as we see. Many would agree with her. I posted the article to reflect W.H.O.'s frustration with many opportunities to develop a competent vaccine as early as 10 years ago and to have it ready. I think you'll agree that if Ebola had the track record it does in France or Texas the vaccine would already be delivered and in use today.

This has been a wake up call for the world. The "next" one may not be as localized or as charitable in it's vector or it's transmission.
France? What happened in France?

Old 11-05-2014, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
WHO only declared Ebola a emerging international threat in August, less than three months ago.
Research on ebola has been going on for a long time, but only for military purposes.

Splatter guns.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 11-05-2014 at 09:44 AM..

Old 11-05-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
You might have to explain this a little better.
"Additives" always include costs and sacrifices.

With vaccines, and most other additives, the costs and sacrifices are knowingly hidden, through omission and deflection, unknowns, and "acceptance".

Bruce Lee was pretty much immune to physical assaults, but would not likely have made a winning NASCAR driver. He was very much susceptible and attractive to "rare" assaults.

He died rare naked. (A medical mystery)

Old 11-05-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Research on ebola has been going on for a long time, but only for military purposes.
Almost 40 years.

Kind of hard to get worked up about a vaccine for a virus that previously killed only a small number of people in very remote locations , during the occasional outbreak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies