Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 09:13 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I do.

The pit of hell.
Amen .

Old 10-15-2014, 09:26 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
When I went to school in back in Sweden we learned about it in Junior HS ( 89 - 92 ). We all still about it long before then.
We had to watch documentaries about the concentration camps, Auschwitz and Dachau. They made sure it was hammered in our little heads. lol
I'm actually surprised kids in this country is not introduced to it as The USA played a huge roll in WWII. Do they even learn about WWII I wonder?
I will make sure I teach my son when that time comes.
Don't be misled. The Holocaust still plays a significant role in many middle and high school history curriculums. It is covered in an age appropriate manner in elementary, middle, and high school in our district.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:56 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Most college students are dumber than a bag of hammers. This is the result of the public education system which has been controlled by the left for 50 years.

Why can't parents educate their kids instead of relying on schools to do it for them and then complain about it. We have always tried to educate our kids since they were little. We had discussions on us history, world history, religion, politics, nature, animals and so on. It was always age appropriate on what they could understand at the time. Why in the world are you blaming schools when the parent is their first and on going teacher. There are only so many hours in a school day and these days most of it is focused on math and science. Parents need to step up don't you think.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:03 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
Yes, but then I'm old.

We had to read "The Diary of Anne Frank" in high school and we studied it in history class, and in college I had to watch some films about it for a film class and read a book by Elie Wiesel for a religion class. After I graduated from college, I met quite a few Jewish people so it came up in conversations, and besides that, it comes up all the time in popular culture. (Not to mention, there is an entire Holocaust Museum in Washington DC that has been around for like 20 years now.)

I don't know how anyone who lives in the United States and understands English could not know about the Holocaust.
We learnt about it in high school, we read Diary of Anne Frank, documentaries, wrote essays, visited the Jewish Holocaust Museum, and had talks from survivors.

I can not believe that students today do not know about the Holocaust (I could believe they have no idea about the Armenian Holocaust etc).

Old 10-15-2014, 10:08 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
We learnt about it in high school, we read Diary of Anne Frank, documentaries, wrote essays, visited the Jewish Holocaust Museum, and had talks from survivors.

I can not believe that students today do now know about the Holocaust (I could believe they have no idea about the Armenian Holocaust etc).
It's difficult to believe, because it's not true. American students do learn about the Holocaust, but the P&OC is prone to hyperbole. Just because something is posted on the Internet does not make it accurate.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:12 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I call BS on the OP's entire premise.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's difficult to believe, because it's not true. American students do learn about the Holocaust, but the P&OC is prone to hyperbole. Just because something is posted on the Internet does not make it accurate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I call BS on the OP's entire premise.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:16 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
I dunno guys, there's people out there that think the Titanic was just a movie, or get stuck on escalators. This is entirely possible.

Sad, very sad......but possible.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:20 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I dunno guys, there's people out there that think the Titanic was just a movie, or get stuck on escalators. This is entirely possible.

Sad, very sad......but possible.
It is not possible for schools to teach every single moment in history. There just aren't that many hours in the day to teach it all.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It is not possible for schools to teach every single moment in history. There just aren't that many hours in the day to teach it all.
Well, no. however these are significant events. Hardly "every single moment in history".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies