Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 06:29 PM

45,225 posts, read 26,437,203 times

Advertisements

Looks like some of that printed wealth is coming right back to them
New Record: Federal Tax Revenues Top $3T for 1st Time | CNS News

Quote:
News.com) - Inflation-adjusted federal tax revenues not only hit a record high in fiscal 2014, but marked the first time that tax revenues have ever topped $3 trillion, according to the latest Monthly Treasury Statement. In fiscal year 2014, inflation-adjusted federal tax revenues hit a record $3,020,848,000,000, but the federal government still ran a $483,350,000,000 deficit during that time
but still the crooks outspend it
Quote:
The largest share of the tax revenue so far this year has come from individual income taxes, which totaled $1,394,567,000,000 in fiscal 2014
Hi ho hi ho its off to work we go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 06:31 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Weird huh? as our average income grows, and our gdp grows...more taxes come in. Its almost like taxes are collected at a % of income from a ever increasing GDP...

Very few years ever show a decrease.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:34 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Yet wages are stagnant and the government is broke and always complains that it doesn't have enough money. Sounds like a management problem to me.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Yet wages are stagnant and the government is broke and always complains that it doesn't have enough money. Sounds like a management problem to me.
Actually wages AREN'T stagnent. Median wages are, not average wages. This BTW is a critical fact that many conservatives don't seem to comprehend.

The governments financial situation is improving, and the deficits are below the 40 year average as a % of GDP.

So sure.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

but still the crooks outspend it

Hi ho hi ho its off to work we go!
Why are you surprised?

Congress massively increased taxes beginning on January 1, 2013. Of course they are going to generate more revenue.

I hope you also realize the there is no correlation between what Congress budgets and what projected revenues would be. For Fiscal Year 2014 Congress budgeted $3.7 trillion, even though they knew projected revenues would only be $3 trillion. Then they proceeded to spend $4.4 trillion, adding yet another $1.4 trillion to the National Debt.

When the budget is based upon anything Congress wants, and not tied to projected revenues, then deficits and/or surpluses have no meaning.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Why are you surprised?

Congress massively increased taxes beginning on January 1, 2013. Of course they are going to generate more revenue.

I hope you also realize the there is no correlation between what Congress budgets and what projected revenues would be. For Fiscal Year 2014 Congress budgeted $3.7 trillion, even though they knew projected revenues would only be $3 trillion. Then they proceeded to spend $4.4 trillion, adding yet another $1.4 trillion to the National Debt.

When the budget is based upon anything Congress wants, and not tied to projected revenues, then deficits and/or surpluses have no meaning.
Massively increased taxes? OMG no!

Ohh you mean the one where a family with a 600K income, and 105K in itemized deductions would see a 2% increase? That massive increase?

What about people making less then 200K? you know, the vast majority? oh...not so much?

Apparently me and you have different ideas on what constitutes a massive tax increase...

Old 10-15-2014, 07:30 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Weird huh? as our average income grows, and our gdp grows...more taxes come in. Its almost like taxes are collected at a % of income from a ever increasing GDP...

Very few years ever show a decrease.
Average income grows? Median income is down over 7% since Obama took office. It's down nearly 10% over the last 10 years. We've only had a month or two with income growth, and that is measured in 1/10s of a percent.

Now if you want to Talk about the top 1%... OH BABY!!! Their income has grown nearly 40% in the last decade!

Quote:
Massively increased taxes? OMG no!

Ohh you mean the one where a family with a 600K income, and 105K in itemized deductions would see a 2% increase? That massive increase?

What about people making less then 200K? you know, the vast majority? oh...not so much?

Apparently me and you have different ideas on what constitutes a massive tax increase...
I guess you forgot Obamacare, huh? The average family will spend over $7,000 more per year. THAT is a hefty tax.

Maybe income tax is lower for the average family, but every other tax has gone up.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Average income grows? Median income is down over 7% since Obama took office. It's down nearly 10% over the last 10 years. We've only had a month or two with income growth.

Now if you want to Talk about the top 1%... OH BABY!!! Their income has grown nearly 40% in the last decade!
President Obama took office in the first quarter of 2009, when median household income was $54,797.63. In June it was 53,891. So no, its not down 7%, but it is down. The 7% figure is data from 2013. And its only down about 2% from 10 years ago. You have to avoid cherry picked statistics like that. While I agree with you that its a problem, I don't think cherry picked numbers help.

But yes the 1% has done very well...but really its the .01% that have had mind boggling increases in income.
Quote:
I guess you forgot Obamacare, huh? The average family will spend over $7,000 more per year. THAT is a hefty tax.

Maybe income tax is lower for the average family, but every other tax has gone up.
Please. The average family? OK im probably in the WORST financial situation. I make JUST enough to not get subsidies, and my insurance costs went down last year. That 7K figure is a Republican hit piece that has no relationship to reality.

The "average" family makes 56K ish and qualifies for subsidies.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:43 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times
Quote:
Actually wages AREN'T stagnent. Median wages are, not average wages. This BTW is a critical fact that many conservatives don't seem to comprehend.
No, this is a critical misconception that liberals use to make their math work!

Quote:
President Obama took office in the first quarter of 2009, when median household income was $54,797.63. In June it was 53,891. So no, its not down 7%, but it is down. The 7% figure is data from 2013. And its only down about 2% from 10 years ago. You have to avoid cherry picked statistics like that. While I agree with you that its a problem, I don't think cherry picked numbers help.

But yes the 1% has done very well...but really its the .01% that have had mind boggling increases in income.
OHHHHH, I see that whites are only down $1k

Sucks to be black or Hispanic.

Keep in mind That all income figures are adjusted for inflation, and energy, food, clothes are excluded from inflation based math. THAT is a critical fact that ALL politicians don't want anyone to understand.

Now lets talk about deflating the value of currency by printing trillions of dollars. THAT is also a tax! The dollar has dropped 35% in actual value over the last decade.

http://useconomy.about.com/od/inflat...llar_today.htm

Old 10-15-2014, 07:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

Looks like the Ted Cruz shutdown, did some good.
Imagine the savings if we shut them down for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies