Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Supporting school vouchers has nothing to do with whether or not you believe there is a better solution.
Our country's public school system has been in decline for 50 years, and that's very well-documented. What "magical solution" do you think is going to work better than giving students and their families other options?

And if our country's public school system could be fixed, why have 50 years of variously implemented efforts failed?

Old 10-21-2014, 10:00 AM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yeah, why is it someone else's job? Why do you insist Blacks and Hispanics have to be told what they already know and willingly accept for themselves (inferior public education and therefore continued socioeconomic disadvantage) to convince them to stop voting for their oppressors?

More and more people are getting fed up with the minority "victim" mentality when Blacks and Hispanics KNOW what's being done to them but continue to vote for it anyway.
Until you answer my questions, I'm not answering yours. You once again continue to ignore any links regarding what Republicans could do to get more Black votes, as well as ignoring anything else I've said.

I also notice you ignored another part of my post. You are complaining about Blacks and Hispanics waiting for someone else to tell them what is best for them Yet, you are the one who keeps doing that, so all it shows on your part is hypocrisy. If you are going to complain that Blacks and Hispanics are waiting for someone to tell them what they need to do, then you have no business telling Blacks and Hispanics who they need to vote for, period. It would be best to stay out of it. I'm not looking for any "sympathy" from you or anyone, and neither are Black people. I'm simply tell you what the Republican Party can do if they want Black voters. Listen to Black voters and what they have to say. But no, you are ignoring what I'm saying because it isn't pertinent to your argument.

Until you actually discuss the links I posted and talk about that, as well as other things I've said, rather than ignoring them, I have nothing more to say to you on this matter.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Until you answer my questions, I'm not answering yours.
Your questions make no sense. Blacks and Hispanics ALREADY KNOW they're getting screwed educationally and are therefore kept socioeconomically oppressed. No one needs to tell them that. They ALREADY KNOW, hence the 2/3 Black and Hispanic adults' support of school vouchers.

They KNOW the oppression will continue if they vote for Dems, but they do so anyway. They are VOTING FOR their own oppression. That's why more and more people are getting fed up with their whiney complaints about how bad they have it.

Good grief, man. If Blacks and Hispanics want their opportunities to improve, THEY NEED TO STOP VOTING FOR THEIR OPPRESSORS. Pretty simple concept...

Old 10-21-2014, 10:31 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Our country's public school system has been in decline for 50 years, and that's very well-documented. What "magical solution" do you think is going to work better than giving students and their families other options?

And if our country's public school system could be fixed, why have 50 years of variously implemented efforts failed?
unless you are saying all public schools have failed, then its obvious they can be fixed. The the question is how.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
unless you are saying all public schools have failed
What would you call these results?:
Quote:
"Conventional wisdom is that top U.S. students fare well compared to their peers across the globe. According to this line of reasoning, the US doesn’t make it on the list of the top 25 countries in math (or top 15 in reading) because America has higher poverty and racial diversity than other countries do, which drags down the national average.

Wrong.

The latest 2012 PISA test results, released Dec. 3, 2013, show that the U.S. lags among 65 countries (or sub country entities) even after adjusting for poverty. Top U.S. students are falling behind even average students in Asia. I emphasize Asia because Asian countries (or sub entities) now dominate the top 10 in all subjects: math, reading and science."
Top US students fare poorly in international PISA test scores, Shanghai tops the world, Finland slips | Education By The Numbers

And then, there's this, confirming that the problem originated 50 years ago, and Ed Schools, Teachers' Unions, and public schools themselves have failed to address the known problem:
Quote:
"While students in the bottom quartile have shown slow but steady improvement since the 1960s, average test scores have nonetheless gone down, primarily because of the performance of those in the top quartile. This "highest cohort of achievers," Rudman writes, has shown "the greatest declines across a variety of subjects as well as across age-level groups." Analysts have also found "a substantial drop among those children in the middle range of achievement," he continues, "but less loss and some modest gains at the lower levels." In other words, our brightest youngsters, those most likely to be headed for selective colleges, have suffered the most dramatic setbacks over the past two decades--a fact with grave implications for our ability to compete with other nations in the future. If this is true--and abundant evidence exists to suggest that it is--then we indeed have a second major crisis in our education system.

... The contrast was stark: schools that had "severely declining test scores" had "moved determinedly toward heterogeneous grouping" (that is, mixed students of differing ability levels in the same classes), while the "schools who have maintained good SAT scores" tended "to prefer homogeneous grouping."

If attaining educational excellence is this simple, why have these high-quality schools become so rare? The answer lies in the cultural ferment of the 1960s.

THE INCUBUS OF THE SIXTIES

In every conceivable fashion the reigning ethos of those times was hostile to excellence in education. Individual achievement fell under intense suspicion, as did attempts to maintain standards. Discriminating among students on the basis of ability or performance was branded "elitist."
The Other Crisis in American Education - 91.11

Old 10-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Oh yeah, and by the 8th grade, our country's public schools only educate 1/3 of our country's public school students to basic grade-level proficiency. Only 1/3. That's not even half.

Reading: 34%
Math: 34%
NAEP - Mathematics and Reading 2013
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies