Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 07:18 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times

Advertisements

The issue I have with the argument against global warming, among other things, is that we have all heard it before. Whether it was those opposing acid rain, CFCs or any other host of environmental rules, regulations or legislation, it was all the same argument:

1. Deny it Exists (What acid rain? It's good rain!) and when that fails,

2. Say it's minimal. (What's a couple of dead fish.) and when that fails,

3. Say the science is unsettled. (What proof do you have that acid rain is bad for the environment! You can't prove squat!) and when that fails,

4. Say it's too expensive to cure. (If we have install scrubbers on all coal plants, it will destroy jobs, cause huge spikes in costs, and bring down the coal industry!) and when that fails,

5. Say it's too late. (Lakes are already dead..c'est la vie.) and when that fails,

6. Blame it on your opponents. (It's a liberal conspiracy I tell ya!!!)

What all these controversies have in common is that the opponents of environment controls were all wrong and that the corrective action worked and was not the calamity that the opponents said these new laws and rules would be.

Opponents of climate change are wrong here as well. It is just unfortunate that many years ago when there were moderate Republicans, they were not all opposed to environmental laws. These laws were passed and they worked. Too bad these Republicans are no longer around, so the burden falls on the Democrats to do the right thing.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:49 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
The issue I have with the argument against global warming, among other things, is that we have all heard it before. Whether it was those opposing acid rain, CFCs or any other host of environmental rules, regulations or legislation, it was all the same argument:

1. Deny it Exists (What acid rain? It's good rain!) and when that fails,

2. Say it's minimal. (What's a couple of dead fish.) and when that fails,

3. Say the science is unsettled. (What proof do you have that acid rain is bad for the environment! You can't prove squat!) and when that fails,

4. Say it's too expensive to cure. (If we have install scrubbers on all coal plants, it will destroy jobs, cause huge spikes in costs, and bring down the coal industry!) and when that fails,

5. Say it's too late. (Lakes are already dead..c'est la vie.) and when that fails,

6. Blame it on your opponents. (It's a liberal conspiracy I tell ya!!!)

What all these controversies have in common is that the opponents of environment controls were all wrong and that the corrective action worked and was not the calamity that the opponents said these new laws and rules would be.

Opponents of climate change are wrong here as well. It is just unfortunate that many years ago when there were moderate Republicans, they were not all opposed to environmental laws. These laws were passed and they worked. Too bad these Republicans are no longer around, so the burden falls on the Democrats to do the right thing.
I oppose it because to me there isn't enough concrete evidence. If the evidence is as solid as they say, why aren't they actually doing something about it that will matter? Last I checked capitalism is still spreading like wildfire in the 3rd world and China adding more and more gasoline/diesel fueled vehicles in place of horses and bikes. Why aren't you guys railing on that? How about the huge diesel powered ships that constantly cross the ocean full of food to feed people who can't feed themselves and they turn around and create more greenhouse gasses? ANd BTW, that food is produced by diesel powered equipment and oil based chemicals. And they aren't wearing hemp and natural fiber clothing. They are wearing Nikes and Old Navy clothes they got for free as well. All part of the oil fueled ponzi scheme that according to you is making this planet uninhabitable.

So what is your solutions? Until you start to post some real solutions that I believe will make a difference than I'm going to continue to think you global warming alarmists are just attention craving science wannabee's.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:52 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Obama and Al Gore. We know they only want to increase our taxes and increase government control of our lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Is this your opinion or is this based on anything? So there is no warming at all going on?
You can easily base it on action.

Every year, Obama uses a fleet of jets to travel nearly halfway across the globe for the specific reason of going to a beach he likes. Anyone who truly believe there id a climate crisis would not be partaking in such activities.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:56 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
You can easily base it on action.

Every year, Obama uses a fleet of jets to travel nearly halfway across the globe for the specific reason of going to a beach he likes. Anyone who truly believe there id a climate crisis would not be partaking in such activities.
And not just Obama. All of the AGW Hoax bigwigs do this. In fact, one of them recently was exposed for commuting via airplane to his job every week.

Yes, it's "do as I say, not as I do".

Old 10-16-2014, 07:59 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,371,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
And not just Obama. All of the AGW Hoax bigwigs do this. In fact, one of them recently was exposed for commuting via airplane to his job every week.

Yes, it's "do as I say, not as I do".
Yeah. Complete hypocrisy. From the president and the rich jet setting celebs on down to the "green" climate marchers in NYC, littering trash all over the city.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:16 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,399,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I oppose it because to me there isn't enough concrete evidence. If the evidence is as solid as they say, why aren't they actually doing something about it that will matter? Last I checked capitalism is still spreading like wildfire in the 3rd world and China adding more and more gasoline/diesel fueled vehicles in place of horses and bikes. Why aren't you guys railing on that? How about the huge diesel powered ships that constantly cross the ocean full of food to feed people who can't feed themselves and they turn around and create more greenhouse gasses? ANd BTW, that food is produced by diesel powered equipment and oil based chemicals. And they aren't wearing hemp and natural fiber clothing. They are wearing Nikes and Old Navy clothes they got for free as well. All part of the oil fueled ponzi scheme that according to you is making this planet uninhabitable.

So what is your solutions? Until you start to post some real solutions that I believe will make a difference than I'm going to continue to think you global warming alarmists are just attention craving science wannabee's.
There are no easy solutions. Any remedial approach to halting or slowing global warming will be similar to FDR's actions during the depression. Passing legislation and see what works. A global solution is what will be needed, but someone has to lead. Any solution will be controversial and I have a feeling based on your posts that no matter what anyone writes for a solution you will be opposed to it.

Now I could be like so many opponents and throw my hands up and say it is too late or too complicated to deal with it. But that would just be a cop out, would it not? And would we not just be adding this to the burden of future generations? We're better than that don't you think.

But to answer your question, for starters, I would pass legislation to curtail the use of fossil fuels and encourage alternative energy and pass whatever enabling statutes to get it done..

Old 10-16-2014, 08:20 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Is this your opinion or is this based on anything? So there is no warming at all going on?
NASA, NOOA, The Met all government agencies, all say there has been no global warming for more than this century; they refer to it as a "pause."

So what is you opinion that there is global warming occurring based upon?

Old 10-16-2014, 08:21 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
There are no easy solutions. Any remedial approach to halting or slowing global warming will be similar to FDR's actions during the depression. Passing legislation and see what works. A global solution is what will be needed, but someone has to lead. Any solution will be controversial and I have a feeling based on your posts that no matter what anyone writes for a solution you will be opposed to it.

Now I could be like so many opponents and throw my hands up and say it is too late or too complicated to deal with it. But that would just be a cop out, would it not? And would we not just be adding this to the burden of future generations? We're better than that don't you think.

But to answer your question, for starters, I would pass legislation to curtail the use of fossil fuels and encourage alternative energy and pass whatever enabling statutes to get it done..
The ONLY solution is to drastically reduce the world's population. It was 1 billion in 1900. It's pushing 8 billion today. That, my friend is the problem and we a can thank oil 100% for that rise in numbers.

But we don't want to talk about that do we?

Old 10-16-2014, 08:22 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
Quote:
Obama is trying that and its blowing up in his face.

Fossil fuels will always be with us.

Alternatives are too expensive and not reliable.

The climate is going to change as it always has. Prove that man is causing it. You can't.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:30 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Yeah. Complete hypocrisy. From the president and the rich jet setting celebs on down to the "green" climate marchers in NYC, littering trash all over the city.
The rich snobs who are the spokesmen for this climate scam will never change their way of life. They will only make our life a burdensome hell, and demand we, of the unwashed masses, must change instead. They will still live in their half dozen opulent mansions, fly private jets, drive around in their fleet of cars, boats, and enjoy the jet set life of glamor, and gobble up resources with abandon. Then justify it all because they are spreading the word, and doing fine deeds as green ambassadors for the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies