Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 10:59 AM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Feltser View Post
Is it crime control? Or is it gun control? Or is there another purpose?
If the purpose is in effective in one area, is it logical to assume the purpose lies in another?

And here is my thought. The PROPOSED or claimed purpose of gun control is to reduce gun crime, that is, crime committed using a gun. Be that robbery, murder, assault, etc. I'm not one that thinks there is some nefarious shadow government bent on disarming the citizens of this country so it can ensue a big brother like 1984 rule over us all. Because they're doing just fine with that agenda even BEFORE gun control became a major issue. Literally. Guns have not suppressed even ONE tiny bit of horrible legislation, guns haven't even been a FACTOR in any of the pieces of bile that have been brought over us in the past....30 years? So yeah, maybe gun control is an attempt to reduce gun crime, presumably by making it harder for specific demographics of people to own a gun.
Or, there can be it plot of the NRA?
None of the above. The main thrust of "gun control" is confiscation.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
For one thing, politicians think the more laws they pass, the better they are at their job. Two, a lot of voters seem to believe that very thing. Three, people understandably frustrated by violent crime give in to the quick satisfaction of doing 'something'. They do this in the belief that laws that only affect criminals after the fact (but affect all law abiding citizens before the fact) of a gun crime will somehow create law abiding criminals.

The ignorant are lead to believe, every law made, is not a restriction of someones freedom.
Law after law after law, to fix a bad law that should never had been made in the first place.
Laws to fix the mess they make, only to create a bigger mess and consequences with those laws.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:03 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
It's supposed to control crime and which hands guns end up into, but it doesn't work that way. It unarms the public while experienced criminals keep getting them anyway.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:05 AM

A gun is the grand equalizer in the oppressed and the oppressive.

A gun is equally effective in both a petite womans hand, as it is a mature adult male, when one faces off with the other, equally armed.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:07 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
A gun is the grand equalizer in the oppressed and the oppressive...
Unless the oppressor has a tank... and a jet fighter... and a carrier... and a...

Old 10-16-2014, 11:11 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
One thing that bugged me is when someone passes a back ground check and you wait 5 days (Florida). You have to get anther permit to have a CCW (Even if you were X-Military)
Arizona a gun owner does not need special permits. The requirements is 18 and above and a background check. That's it. Short and sweet. Plus you can pick up your Sidearm at the time of purchase.
Arizona does not have a over abundance of negative gun issues.
Isn't Florida run by Repubs, does not sound like a very conservative way of dealing with buying and owning guns to me.
Here in Texas you fill out the paper work then pick out some nice accessories to go with it and some target and good quality ammo and by that time the background check is done and you get all your goodies to go. Now I did have to wait for a couple of hours once, either the system was swamped or the people were out to lunch, but that was not a big hassle for me. I had to go through all the same hoops to get my conceal carry permit even though I was ex-military and had a very long history with weapons and running ranges, nothing matters to them under the law, I think that was kinda stupid on their part, if someone has the history to show they are qualified to carry and use a gun I can see paying the fee but having to show them I could handle the weapon was a joke. With me and the guy running their range, we actually had some fun during the process after we talked for a few minutes, fun seeing who could get the smaller groupings, used up waaay more ammo than we were supposed to. Hopefully most the country will go to the methods used in AZ, which are all that should be needed, but it is up to the people of each State to make it so, maybe a few thousand letters to the Governors office would get there attention, not to mention your State Legislature.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:14 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Unless the oppressor has a tank... and a jet fighter... and a carrier... and a...
IF the oppressor has people to man and operate them? You might be surprised how many civilians know how to use those same tools and how many current operators would join the opposition and of-course take their "stuff" with them. That sort of fight might be a lot more evenly matched than you think.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:18 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
IF the oppressor has people to man and operate them? You might be surprised how many civilians know how to use those same tools and how many current operators would join the opposition and of-course take their "stuff" with them. That sort of fight might be a lot more evenly matched than you think.
Even? I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Even? I wouldn't bet my paycheck on it.
I would. I bet Casper can run one of the implements mentioned.
I know I can.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:27 AM

13,955 posts, read 5,621,810 times
For Leviathan to have intel on what they feel are trouble makers. It serves no other purpose, none whatsoever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies