Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who's right about White Privilege
Jon Stewart 57 51.35%
Bill O'Reily 54 48.65%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 06:27 AM

5,734 posts, read 3,252,971 times

Advertisements

john Stewart needs to ****! Just because he is a self loating white liberal does it mean
that "white privelege" exists.
I am white and nobody handed me anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Great segment.

Looks like ol' Bill came around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 06:34 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
Okay, so let's pretend that all us white people have this great white privilege. Now what? What the hell do you want us to do about it? Quit life? Trash our neighborhoods and ask for pay cuts and have more kids without fathers and all be horrible parents so we can "level" the field?

Anyways, Stewert and his pals in Hollywood have hollywood privilege. Get treated like royalty, over paid, live like kings. When are they going to start giving up their power and wealth and give it to those who aren't celebrity? I admit, not a good analogy but the point is, what the hell would you want us to do about this supposed privilege we have as white people?

I live in a diverse town, fortunately and unfortunately. I see more non-white people, specifically black, out in town that carry themselves poorly in public and make this town much worse than it needs to be, along with high property taxes to pay for more needed cops due to crime and what not. You can't blame everything about your community on white people. Look at yourselves. Not all of them obviously, but too many

Old 10-17-2014, 06:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
I am a white female.

I was born in 1970.

I did graduate high school.....but, not with honors.

Part of our home had dirt floors........that is right......only the kitchen had wood floors and pluming......no bath room.

Tell me about being poor and not having what others had.

I had my first million by my mid-thirties.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:00 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,659,026 times
Who decided that the "default" state now counts as privilege?

You need to be able to prove that most folks don't have access to something before those who do can be called privileged.

Even if we accept the definition of W.P. that Stewart types put forth, it really is a useless concept. Outside of the powerful (top few %,) everyone still has to overcome whatever particular obstacles apply to them. Appalachian low IQ white kid whose mom put Dew in his bottles and Jack and Jill, Ivy league black kid.

This should be called top 5% privilege. A lot of those folks are white, but there are orders of magnitude MORE white people who grow up poor or lower middle class - just like black people!

How is this notion helping anyone?

Old 10-17-2014, 07:03 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louche View Post
Whites work harder. I guess the resulting affluence, passed down through generations, equals 'privledge' in some people's minds. Oh well. *l*
Black people also worked hard throughout history. Harder than whites, except they weren't paid for their hard work half of the time, and the average black person was prevented from moving up the social ladder until the last generation. Yep, spoken like a true right-wing white

Old 10-17-2014, 07:04 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
It's election time. It will get worse. Last time it was about the rich. Now it is about being white.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post

How is this notion helping anyone?
It is not meant to help.......it is meant to control.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Black people also worked hard throughout history. Harder than whites, except they weren't paid for their hard work half of the time, and the average black person was prevented from moving up the social ladder until the last generation. Yep, spoken like a true right-wing white
It is about working smarter......not just harder.

Last edited by Driller1; 10-17-2014 at 08:12 AM..

Old 10-17-2014, 07:07 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,038,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Are you sure he isn't involved in helping in the black community? Stewart isn't one for advertising his private life, and seeing he isn't a politician, he doesn't have to.

Heck, does OReilly do anything for the black community or does he just like to accuse anyone who is black that they look like a criminal.

Stewart does about as much for the black community as Michael Moore does.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:07 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
Damn, that news article was hilarious. Don't ya just love it when idiots rant and rave ?
Since I allegedly have everything, I'd love his rant if he told me where my Ferrari was.

Last edited by burdell; 10-17-2014 at 08:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies