Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should America just split up?
Yes 23 38.98%
No 32 54.24%
Not Sure 3 5.08%
Other - explain 1 1.69%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 06:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
Four years ago I thought we probably would split, but in about three weeks the Liberals are going to get an incredible drubbing and in two years that will extend to the White House, after that it will be several decades before the Liberals can again dominate the government--so why should we leave now? We've almost won! Belive me, it will take decades for the Liberals to recover from the kind of beating they're about to take. You don't have to believe me, believe the leading Liberals themselves: In the months right after Obama won in 2008 the leading Libs were on all the Sunday morning talk shows agush about everything they were going to do--and every last one of them said, "We'll never have another opportunity like this in our lifetime."
Politics are cyclical.

Republicans had it all before, and managed to blow it in no time.

No reason to believe that they won't do it again. In fact, they'll probably blow it all faster than the last time.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:50 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAllenDoudna View Post
Four years ago I thought we probably would split, but in about three weeks the Liberals are going to get an incredible drubbing and in two years that will extend to the White House, after that it will be several decades before the Liberals can again dominate the government--so why should we leave now? We've almost won! Belive me, it will take decades for the Liberals to recover from the kind of beating they're about to take.
If you think having 51 or 52 Senate seats and about 238-240 Representatives is a permanent lock on power, enjoy yourself.

In the 94th Congress the Democrats had 61 Senators and 291 Representatives, and just barely won the 1976 Presidential election.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Is Attica and Riker's Island in Alabama? They are on the list of the worst prisons in the US.
Whose list? I would just about guarantee there are more red state than blue state prisons on the list--although I will toss out Corcoran, CA as a gratuity.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:56 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,159,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
And you think people aren't separated by a wall after spouting a solid wall of liberal ignorance and bigotry. People like you are why some want to split the country.
What was bigoted about anything I said? Do you know the meaning of the term? In what way is me showing concern for racial minorities and gay people bigoted? Is this a term you heard another conservative use on TV and it makes you feel good to use it as well without really understanding it? Please explain, the conservative mindset baffles those of us on the other side of the rubicon.

Old 10-16-2014, 06:59 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Whose list? I would just about guarantee there are more red state than blue state prisons on the list--although I will toss out Corcoran, CA as a gratuity.

You and your red state, blue state mentality is ridiculous. Most states are neither red or blue. I live in what you deem a red state although it is just a little over half red. Now you tell me what sense that makes?

Who's list. LMAO!! You would not be satisfied with any list that was made by anyone other that a radical left wing nut job. so why ask? BTW, if you don't like this country why don't you find one to your liking and leave my country alone?

Last edited by Scotty011; 10-16-2014 at 07:09 PM..

Old 10-16-2014, 07:06 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'm a proud blue stater and I love the idea.

America is like a long, bad marriage.
Agreed. We're better apart. Both sides are bitter about all the great things they could have if they didn't have to put up with each other. So instead of anybody being satisfied, nobody is. Probably it should be split in three. The west coast and Hawaii would be one nation. Alaska, the Mountain West, Plains, Appalachia, and the South would be another. And then the Northeast and Midwest would be the third.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:09 PM

553 posts, read 595,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I would certainly say that if separation was tried again today, that there would not be another civil war. There just isn't the appetite in this country for war, and the hatred on both sides favors a mutually agreed split. If Texas, for example, wanted to split... they could split and take whomever they wanted, and the rest of the country probably couldn't care less.
You will care a great deal once you find out how much food, fuel, electricity, and cloth suddenly cost. All of the secessionists agree that you should pay a little extra tax on these things which they have been supplying to you with no tax. It will make up for lost Federal revenue--except that we will be able to spend it the way we think it ought to be spent instead of the way somebody in Washington wants it spent.

No appetite for war? Who told you that? Fellow Liberals? We might rather not, but we've supplied about three-quarters of the Military personnel and most of the deer hunters. I believe you would find this part of the country well-armed, well-trained and well-prepared.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:16 PM

Quote:
You and your red state, blue state mentality is ridiculous. Most states are neither red or blue. I live in what you deem a red state although it is just a little over half red. Now you tell me what sense that makes?
And several states are deep red or blue. In those that are not, there are usually some regional patterns within the state that could serve as a basis for border adjustments.

Quote:
Who's list. LMAO!! You would not be satisfied with any list that was made by anyone other that a radical left wing nut job. so why ask?
There isn't a single canonical list of worst prisons. It is notable, however, when an entire state prison system is in danger of a federal receivership.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
I'm so sick of these kinds of threads.

Every country in the world has political divides among them. However, I don't think I've ever seen so many whiners (on both sides of the aisle) speculating about dividing the country up; and I've lived in 6 countries across 3 continents. We're much better off united imo - although I'm not going to write a novel explaining my rationale.

Also, do some of you people realize how difficult and expensive it would be to split up the country? It would be a disaster. Look at the whole mess that happened with Scotland leaving the UK. A lot of the same questions apply. What currency? Central banks? Citizenship? People from one state who live in another state? Military alliances? Economic Treaties? Etc. Etc. Etc. The list goes on and on and on.

One final thing I'd point out is that a lot of you seem to want to do this 'dividing' by state. Well the fact of the matter is in almost every state, it is the cities that are 'blue' and the rural areas that are 'red'. CA is blue along the coast and cities, and red everywhere else. TX is blue in 5 out of 6 major cities, and red everywhere else. So a lot of this 'red' state, 'blue' state dividing would get messy as well.

Just food for thought.
Agreed and HOW!

Too; few of us can be 100 percent "liberal" or 100 percent "conservative". MOST of us are a def mix. I'm pro choice AND I believe in the 2nd Amendment and so on.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:27 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Is Attica and Riker's Island in Alabama? They are on the list of the worst prisons in the US.
Word is Cook County, Chicago ain't real nice either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies