Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 09:58 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, and?
You said they were pushed out no one pushed them out they chose to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Since when does life come with guarantees? One thing that IS guaranteed is that if you don't bother to increase your value to employers you won't make much more than minimum wage.
Nothing is guaranteed does not change that getting more skills may mean you may not find a job in the field you study so getting more skills is a crap shoot. Getting more skills is not always a good idea nor a solution.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:05 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Nothing is guaranteed does not change that getting more skills may mean you may not find a job in the field you study so getting more skills is a crap shoot. Getting more skills is not always a good idea nor a solution.
It's not really a crap shoot. The people with the least skills and education will always be at the bottom.

[shrug] They can live in the favela.

Old 10-25-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It's not really a crap shoot. The people with the least skills and education will always be at the bottom.

[shrug] They can live in the favela.
I think the whole word "skills" is kinda dumb to use. What exactly is more skills? There are people who work in offices with good paying jobs who I would not really considered skilled. Then there are jobs that are not paid as well like hair stylist which is a skill which is paid less. If people are not finding jobs they went to school for then yeah it is a crap shoot.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:05 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You just described liberal utopia, not conservatives..

p.s. we were discussing the Reagans tax cuts, not all this other stuff thats not related..

And I was discussing exactly how the Reagan Tax Cuts caused rents to necessarily skyrocket, and how I faced five rent increases in five years under Reagan's watch.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:11 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
You can get TV's cheap, some cell phone cost as much if not less then landlines, weight problems s because poor people can only afford cheap fatty foods. Just because our poor is better off then the poor in other countries does not mean poverty here is great.

Not cheap fatty foods as much as cheap carbohydrate foods; the carbs get converted to fat and stored when they're not promptly burned off.

Most of the poor would probably benefit from eating fewer cheap carbs and more cheap fatty foods.

Old 10-26-2014, 06:42 AM

23,532 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Poverty is booming under obama ask the families of the latest two LEOs that were killed by an illegal alien twice deported for felonies and selling drugs and numerous other convictions and releases.

Families without primary support and women losing their husbands, Obama's war on women and the financial devestation of the low and middle class all rolled into one.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:13 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
What you say is technically correct but I find the attitude behind it confusing. Isn't getting more skills and having at least a chance at a better job better than not getting more skills and being certain to remain at the bottom?

Old 10-26-2014, 10:32 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And I was discussing exactly how the Reagan Tax Cuts caused rents to necessarily skyrocket, and how I faced five rent increases in five years under Reagan's watch.
I was renting during the Reagan years and rent increased every year by $10 measly dollars. Rent was cheap. LOL, you think Reagan caused rents to skyrocket. Unlike Obamacare, which caused my premiums to go up 3 times (almost 40%). People are in for a real shocker after the election since we know Dems are hiding the schedule skyrocketing insurance increase.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
What you say is technically correct but I find the attitude behind it confusing. Isn't getting more skills and having at least a chance at a better job better than not getting more skills and being certain to remain at the bottom?
Yes it is and I think that it is a good idea to get more skills or education if you can but it is not a solution for poverty for everyone there are just not enough higher paying jobs if everyone gets more skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies