Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 06:30 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So one should never place one's self in a position where one is under their control in a hostile environment - like by CHOOSING to STEAL trinkets (e.g., DVD movies) that one does not really need. Right?

This is all just Darwinism at work. Let's hope the perp didn't breed before being removed from the gene pool.
Maybe the "perp" is of low I.Q. and was just following the instructions of another and really didn't know better? You still don't understand the concept yet do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 06:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Maybe the "perp" is of low I.Q. and was just following the instructions of another and really didn't know better? You still don't understand the concept yet do you?
Following the instructions of another doesnt immune one from consequences.

not knowing better, doesnt immune one from consequences.

At what age does one learn not to steal?

Old 10-20-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It indeed does when one does not understand the consequences.

Quote:

Some people never mentally age to this point. No?

Backfire | Watchdog Report - Florida jury rules man with low IQ not guilty in ATF sting

In Tennard v. Dretke the U.S. Supreme court ruled that very low I.Q. can indeed be used as a valid defense and a reason to find someone not guilty.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:24 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
In some countries he would have already had his hands or arms cut off.
The bottom line is if you make the choice to steal you make the choice to go to jail.
Jail is not supposed to be a vacation, it is supposed to be punishment but there are many in jail who have better
health care, food and resources for help and education than those who have not committed a crime, are working but cannot afford health care, insurance and proper food for their families.

You tell 'em Christian Nation!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:39 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Wow, more incomprehensible noise.

"Society" cannot be judged. "Society" is a euphemism for an arbitarily chosen grouping of individuals. INDIVIDUALS are judged by how they treat others. I cannot be judged for how you behave.

As for the "self centeredness" you want to rail on about... The idea that YOU believe YOU are entitled to what OTHERS work for, that YOU believe YOU are entitled to control OTHER'S labors to achieve YOUR wants and wishes, is the precise, definitive, and perfectly demonstrated example of complete and utter self centeredness.
I am glad you were able to read his post, because I could not. I suspect that English is not bUU's first language, considering the atrocious grammar. I found the entire post to be completely incoherent.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

I think I was about 5 or 6 years old when I learned about the concept of personal property. Before that I gave away my toys to my friends, and I took their toys for my own, without giving a second thought as to who actually owned them.

By age 7 I certainly understood that taking something that was not mine without permission was wrong.

By the time someone reaches adulthood, if they cannot comprehend the difference between right and wrong, then they belong locked away in a mental institution, not in society. If they know the difference between right and wrong, and choose to do the wrong thing anyway, then they deserve to be punished.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I think I was about 5 or 6 years old when I learned about the concept of personal property. Before that I gave away my toys to my friends, and I took their toys for my own, without giving a second thought as to who actually owned them.
If at 5-6 someone you trusted told you to do something wrong, you would have done it. Yes, you will protest now but you would have done it.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:57 PM

801 posts, read 1,103,352 times
Quote:

By age 7 I certainly understood that taking something that was not mine without permission was wrong.

By the time someone reaches adulthood, if they cannot comprehend the difference between right and wrong, then they belong locked away in a mental institution, not in society. If they know the difference between right and wrong, and choose to do the wrong thing anyway, then they deserve to be punished.
The original post was not about what the youngster did to get locked up, it was about the evil, criminal conduct of those who left their prisoner to die in the manner described.

Why is it that such discussions always turn to naming the offenses of the victim instead of responding to the topic of the brutality of either the police, or in this case, corrections officers? That is because you all most likely do not take offense to the conduct of the authorities.

If you are going to reply at all with forthrightness, don't chicken out and malign the dead. If you condone the conduct of the authorities, then why be afraid to just say so?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:59 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
I understand the concept quite well: Making Excuses.

When did making excuses ever solve a problem?

Quote:
In Tennard v. Dretke the U.S. Supreme court ruled that very low I.Q. can indeed be used as a valid defense and a reason to find someone not guilty.
The issue is mens rea (the ability to form intent).

The Supreme Court erred. IQ is not a determiner. Persons with "low" IQs can still form intent. What the Supreme Court did was set a dangerous precedent by effectively establishing a bench-mark for guilt.

Mens rea has to be determined on an individual case-by-case basis, not some arbitrary IQ where every at or below that number is "not guilty."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Wow, more incomprehensible noise.

"Society" cannot be judged. "Society" is a euphemism for an arbitarily chosen grouping of individuals. INDIVIDUALS are judged by how they treat others. I cannot be judged for how you behave.

As for the "self centeredness" you want to rail on about... The idea that YOU believe YOU are entitled to what OTHERS work for, that YOU believe YOU are entitled to control OTHER'S labors to achieve YOUR wants and wishes, is the precise, definitive, and perfectly demonstrated example of complete and utter self centeredness.
That's excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
This is all just Darwinism at work. Let's hope the perp didn't breed before being removed from the gene pool.
Yes, indeed.

In days gone by, Society would have filled him full of arrows and left on a glacier, just like Ice Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Society is measured by how it treats its most vulnerable members...
Oh, yes, more Orwellian Double NewSpeak.

Does "most vulnerable members" include Ivy League Ivory Tower Pukes?

Which "society?"

Quote:
This was a government jail. The Madison County jail to be specific.
Well, there you go.

Perpetrating...

Mircea

Old 10-20-2014, 08:04 PM

Quote:
If at 5-6 someone you trusted told you to do something wrong, you would have done it. Yes, you will protest now but you would have done it.
If I knew it to be wrong, no I would not have "done it." However, there was still a lot that I did not know was wrong at that age. For example, if an adult handed me a beer at that age, I would have drunk it because I did not know it was the wrong thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies