Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Jeez... there is a pretty long list of things government does better than for profit private.

Schools

Prisons

Healthcare

to name a few
Actually, nothing government does is better or more efficient than what private for profit businesses can do. However, there are some things government should always do, even badly, for accountability purposes, and never left in the hands of the private sector - such as law enforcement and the military. Government is always inherently corrupt, but a necessary evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 08:43 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Then change the drinking age law or change the age at which one can enlist. Until then, it is what it is.
The only reason 19 year olds are going to jail is it is profitable.

Quote:
With one or more DVDs jammed in their boxers or otherwise concealed in a manner to make one believe he was trying to remove them from the premises without paying for them? And while you may consider it irrelevant, he was also guilty of passing counterfeit bills. He was not a Boy Scout by any measure. He death, for whatever reason, has probably saved the taxpayer a lot for what would otherwise have been a lifetime of incarceration and funding future welfare babies.
I find it sad how many people are so willing to throw away what makes this country better than other places.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:03 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
Then change the drinking age law or change the age at which one can enlist. Until then, it is what it is.

With one or more DVDs jammed in their boxers or otherwise concealed in a manner to make one believe he was trying to remove them from the premises without paying for them? And while you may consider it irrelevant, he was also guilty of passing counterfeit bills. He was not a Boy Scout by any measure. He death, for whatever reason, has probably saved the taxpayer a lot for what would otherwise have been a lifetime of incarceration and funding future welfare babies.
You're right, I mean what has the Constitution really done for anyone lately?

Old 10-18-2014, 11:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
More importantly with regard to the topic, where was Madison County's oversight? They hired ACH, and therefore they are responsible for making sure that ACH does their job as they were contracted to do.

Why did none of the correction officers, who are Madison County government employees, not check on Woods' condition or help him? They did not even feed him for three days. Why?

There is a lot more to this story than is being told, but it appears very obvious that they want to make it about the contractor failure of ACH.

On the surface there appears to be plenty of blame to go around for Woods' death.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:46 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
that run many aspects of our incarceration system which focus to maximize profits by keeping people in jail or limiting their human rights.

19-year-old dies naked on cell floor of gangrene; lawsuits target deaths in Madison County jail | AL.com

Amazing how in America a simple shoplifting crime leads to punishment by death.

I thought we were better than rogue countries like N. Korea.
This highlights "yet again" the problem? What are all the other highlights? Saying "yet again" implies it's a common occurrence, but this the first thread about this issue that I can ever remember seeing.

Old 10-19-2014, 12:00 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
This highlights "yet again" the problem? What are all the other highlights? Saying "yet again" implies it's a common occurrence, but this the first thread about this issue that I can ever remember seeing.
The problem of having for-profit entities running various aspects of our prison system has been in the headlines for years now.

Kids for Cash - Rotten Tomatoes

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/28/us...ges.html?_r=2&

Video: Prisons for Profit . NOW on PBS

Criminal Justice: States Profit From Prisoners, Families Pay

ACH is just another cog in the scheme.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:54 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Jeez... there is a pretty long list of things government does better than for profit private.

Schools

Prisons

Healthcare

to name a few
uhm wrong

government schools lack behind private schools

government prisons....suck

healthcare...yep I am sure you want a politician with no healthcare experience writing the rules

Old 10-19-2014, 07:26 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The only reason 19 year olds are going to jail is it is profitable.

I find it sad how many people are so willing to throw away what makes this country better than other places.
Why would 19 year old who are criminals any different from anyone older who is a criminal. A 19 y.o. is an adult, not a child by any measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Laws and rights are meant to protect the innocent, not the guilty. The theater of a defense for someone caught in the act of committing a crime is silly.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:05 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, nothing government does is better or more efficient than what private for profit businesses can do. However, there are some things government should always do, even badly, for accountability purposes, and never left in the hands of the private sector - such as law enforcement and the military. Government is always inherently corrupt, but a necessary evil.
The prison system is one of what I would consider a "necessary evil" to society. You wish you didn't need them but you do. Its a mistake to put a publicly traded corporation in charge of it. A corporation duties are to its stockholders. Maximize growth and profits means more prisons and higher incarceration levels.

California's mandatory sentencing and 3 strikes laws came out of intense lobbying efforts by the private corrections industry and the prison guards union. look at any "get tough on crime" initiative and you will find the private corrections lobby.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:13 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Why would 19 year old who are criminals any different from anyone older who is a criminal. A 19 y.o. is an adult, not a child by any measure.
Yes, they are an adult and should be able to have a beer. As I note, they can't because it's a profit center for government agencies.

Quote:
Laws and rights are meant to protect the innocent, not the guilty. The theater of a defense for someone caught in the act of committing a crime is silly.
As I said. My daughter was once "caught in the act" but she was innocent and the magistrate ripped the officer a new one over it.

New Years a few years ago she was stopped at 2 am. Registered .8 exactly. (the legal limit). The arresting officer gave her all the field sobriety checks and admitting she passed them all. Not satisfied he wanted her to take a breathalyzer. She was happy to oblige as she knew she wasn't over the limit. The problem is, my daughter has A1AD. Look it up, it's a lung disease. One day it is what she will likely die from. it was near zero and she couldn't get her breath. The officer allowed her to use her inhaler. Still no good.

He took her into the station and had her try again. No good. Hit the inhaler. Still not quite. Inhaler, and she had enough to get a reading. .8. I imagine you can tell where this is going. An attorney wanted $1000 to represent her. As we found out later all it would have taken would have been a phone call and all charges would have been dropped.

We went to court. I represented her. The officer admitted she passed all field sobriety checks. He admitting she used her inhaler in the field and then twice at the station before getting a reading. The magistrate then got pissed. She ripped him a new one. She explained she was asthmatic and was mad my daughter was treated this way. The law calls for 20 minute intervals after using an inhaler before taking a breathalyzer. Twice within moments raised the number well above where it really was.

So, she was caught in the act as you like to argue. She was innocent. If something had happened to her that night, you would argue that she got what she deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies