Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 03:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,375,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
And that never happens in government jails?

You'd best do some research.

The thing about government jails is it gets covered up better.

Amazing how complying with the law and understanding the meaning of "No" can save your life.

Once less slug in society.....

Mircea
This was a government jail. The Madison County jail to be specific.

The prison guards, who are government employees and not associated with the ACH contractor, did not bother checking on Woods condition and stopped feeding him three days before he died.

Everyone is so hot-and-bothered about ACH's failure, and simply ignores the criminal negligence of the government employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:17 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,666,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, nothing government does is better or more efficient than what private for profit businesses can do. However, there are some things government should always do, even badly, for accountability purposes
You say that as if accountability isn't part of what's "better". A criteria for excellence that doesn't include accountability is nothing to be proud of. Society is measured by how it treats its most vulnerable members and by that accounting the private sector always requires some governmental leash to allow it, the private sector, to excel instead of plumb the depths of self-centered self-interest. Read the comments people post about how rightful corporate focus on profits is. And they're correct. And the system works because at the end of the profits is a control valve whereby society ensures that self-motivation doesn't get out of control, doesn't become immorally exploitative, etc.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,533,215 times
Perhaps another way of looking at these allegations is that choosing to be a criminal in this state carries potential downstream health risks.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Perhaps another way of looking at these allegations is that choosing to be a criminal in this state carries potential downstream health risks.
Putting one's life in the hands of inept and corrupt government officials is a damn risky business, whether one is a criminal or not. It is certainly not made any better when those inept and corrupt government officials hire a contractor who is equally, if not more, inept and corrupt as those who hired them.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:04 PM

5,645 posts, read 5,061,158 times
Quote:
Putting one's life in the hands of inept and corrupt government officials is a damn risky business, whether one is a criminal or not. It is certainly not made any better when those inept and corrupt government officials hire a contractor who is equally, if not more, inept and corrupt as those who hired them.
So one should never place one's self in a position where one is under their control in a hostile environment - like by CHOOSING to STEAL trinkets (e.g., DVD movies) that one does not really need. Right?

This is all just Darwinism at work. Let's hope the perp didn't breed before being removed from the gene pool.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So one should never place one's self in a position where one is under their control in a hostile environment - like by CHOOSING to STEAL trinkets (e.g., DVD movies) that one does not really need. Right?

This is all just Darwinism at work. Let's hope the perp didn't breed before being removed from the gene pool.
One should never place one's self in a position where one is under the control of another, particularly government.

I live in a hostile environment, but it can be mitigated with knowledge and the proper precautions. The same cannot be said when one is under the control of another.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:39 PM

5,645 posts, read 5,061,158 times
Quote:
One should never place one's self in a position where one is under the control of another, particularly government.

I live in a hostile environment, but it can be mitigated with knowledge and the proper precautions. The same cannot be said when one is under the control of another.
We're all subject to government control to varying degrees, but allegedly have some recourse by participating in the selection process by which those who govern us are placed in their positions of power. We have far more control over our own actions which bring us into contact with law enforcement authorities and can exercise proper caution so as to not put ourselves at undue risk. I have never attempted to walk out of a store with merchandise concealed. I also don't rob banks, sell drugs, buy illegal drugs, or run red lights. All of my encounters with law enforcement personnel have been fairly positive ones. Actions have consequences, and sometimes those consequences are of the unintended variety.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
We're all subject to government control to varying degrees, but allegedly have some recourse by participating in the selection process by which those who govern us are placed in their positions of power. We have far more control over our own actions which bring us into contact with law enforcement authorities and can exercise proper caution so as to not put ourselves at undue risk. I have never attempted to walk out of a store with merchandise concealed. I also don't rob banks, sell drugs, buy illegal drugs, or run red lights. All of my encounters with law enforcement personnel have been fairly positive ones. Actions have consequences, and sometimes those consequences are of the unintended variety.
I have also never committed a crime, but not all my encounters with law enforcement have been cordial. However, knowing my constitutionally protected rights has kept me from falling under their control.

I also vote in absolutely every election, however, I am not so delusional as to think that elections change anything. I vote because it is my civic duty as a citizen in a participatory government, but it does not matter if it is a Republican or a Democrat who gets elected, because they are both equally corrupt.

In general, the less I have to do with government (at any level) the happier my life has been.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,923,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
The medical care is subcontracted. This is unnecessary and a conflict of interest- private company profit over people.
You clearly have NEVER sat in on the negotiations with these insurance companies and government agencies. I have..

There is no conflict of interest once contracted out..

Old 10-20-2014, 05:15 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,944,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
You say that as if accountability isn't part of what's "better". A criteria for excellence that doesn't include accountability is nothing to be proud of. Society is measured by how it treats its most vulnerable members and by that accounting the private sector always requires some governmental leash to allow it, the private sector, to excel instead of plumb the depths of self-centered self-interest. Read the comments people post about how rightful corporate focus on profits is. And they're correct. And the system works because at the end of the profits is a control valve whereby society ensures that self-motivation doesn't get out of control, doesn't become immorally exploitative, etc.
Wow, more incomprehensible noise.

"Society" cannot be judged. "Society" is a euphemism for an arbitarily chosen grouping of individuals. INDIVIDUALS are judged by how they treat others. I cannot be judged for how you behave.

As for the "self centeredness" you want to rail on about... The idea that YOU believe YOU are entitled to what OTHERS work for, that YOU believe YOU are entitled to control OTHER'S labors to achieve YOUR wants and wishes, is the precise, definitive, and perfectly demonstrated example of complete and utter self centeredness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies