Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 06:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Yet another thread where half of the posters flatly deny that young urban women play the system (despite the fact that I personally know those who do, and it involves a lot more than food stamps) thus ensuring the other half dismiss them.
I know it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 06:57 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Politics View Post
Employers are having the hardest time finding workers and everywhere I go there are help wanted signs. Jobs are everywhere. Then why is there so many people out there who say there are no jobs out there with the labor shortages?
I haven't seen a help wanted sign in ages. Didn't know people still used them, as it seems all positions are filled online. Makes me wonder what kind of jobs are filled using help wanted signs. I'm guessing the kind that are bottom-rung , high turnover, low skill, with pathetic pay.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:02 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Yet another thread where half of the posters flatly deny that young urban women play the system (despite the fact that I personally know those who do, and it involves a lot more than food stamps) thus ensuring the other half dismiss them.
No one is saying it never happens. What we're saying is that it isn't as hugely widespread as some claim, and it definitely isn't the reason why some companies "can't find good help."

Old 10-18-2014, 07:10 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
I am so fed up with this bunk information.

Facts and stats please. Enough w the anecdotal BS.
Welfare: A Better Deal than Work | National Review Online

It's not bunk and you know it's not bunk.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:12 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Uh huh. Then why can't I find them?
Because you don't look.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:16 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Because you don't look.
I see them every day in cities east of Seattle WA where minimum wage is $9.32 and in Seattle where it's on the way to $15 over the next few years. Just to name some I saw yesterday, Macy's, a tire store, two restaurants (not fast food) a Bagel shop, Safeway, and a gas station.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scobby View Post
There are plenty of $7 jobs , nobody needs this kind of job.
Exactly. I remember back in 2009, that in Michigan (the state with the highest unemployment rate in the country for a while,) there were "Help Wanted" signs if you wanted to work the night shift at a gas station. There's a reason that those jobs always need employees.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:19 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
A $7 job? where are they, I never see them around here, and Montana is supposedly a low wage state!
McDonalds pays $9.50 to $10.50 per hour, and they seem to be ALWAYS hiring.
A local sign company has been advertising on their curbside sign that they need installers and maintenance technicians. The sign has been up for a couple months.
Not every job can pay $20/hour.
Yes, I see it too. Lots of "Now Hiring" signs, but the street corner cardboard sign holders are often in evidence. However, now that it is getting colder, the sign holders are disappearing.
As for the other issue, I have read many news articles over the years about welfare recipients who got a job and lost money, and I have personally seen well dressed people, driving a better vehicle than I could afford, paying for their groceries with food stamps. I have also seen people pay for their GROCERIES with food stamps, then pull out a wad of cash bigger than I have to pay for their soda, beer, and cigarettes.
Such stories may be "myths", but they have a basis in facts!
McDonald's is "always hiring" the bored with nothing else to do so they want to make $100-150 a week crowd.

That's not quite the same thing as a stable career.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
Quote:
Uh huh. Then why can't I find them? Why can't you link them?
Because I don't do work for the lazy and stupid.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,716,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Welfare: A Better Deal than Work | National Review Online

It's not bunk and you know it's not bunk.
The Cato story was debunked.

Commentary: Cato Gets It Very Wrong: The Safety Net Supports, Rather Than Discourages, Work — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies