Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:55 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
We've already had two elections under this law, and minority voting rates remained exactly the same. All voting rates remained the same in fact. Voter ID laws have had absolutely ZERO negative effect on voter participation in Texas. So...tell me again who is disenfranchised?
But why are college student IDs not accepted but handgun licenses accepted?

Supreme Court allows strict Texas Voter ID law.

Sounds like it's aimed at certain groups based on voting behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 03:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Because you don't have to prove citizenship with student ID's.

Illegals can get student ID's, foreign students can get student ID's.

And that is why student ID's are not valid. You do not have to show any proof besides your paid schedule to get one.
Many also do not have expiration dates among other items required to be on them.

And that is applicable in most states.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:

For starters, let's get this particular fact straight - Texas is only one of THIRTY THREE states which require a voter to show ID prior to voting.

The only forms of ID allowed are ID's issued by the Department of Public Safety, the US military, or certain Federal IDs (passport, citizenship certificates) which have a photo.

No photo IDs issued by any other entities - including but not limited to schools - are authorized.

The Election Identification Certificates issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety are free and easy to obtain.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:50 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,620 times
Quote:

In Texas, your concealed handgun license is a legal, state-issued ID. It means that your identity has been established, you are a Texas resident and citizen/legal resident of the United States and you have been subject to an extensive background check. You can present this to a law enforcement officer, a judge or anyone else that would require a legal ID.

Your college ID is not sufficient to establish that you are even of majority age and is not legal ID for the purchase of tobacco. Having a student ID issued to you by a university means very little other than you have (probably) metriculated at the issuing institution; it does not verify your age, your citizenship status or any number of key stats that would corroborate your legal right to vote in Texas.

Is it really that surprising?

Old 10-21-2014, 03:59 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,814,354 times
HA-HA... I voted today. Walked up, gave my VoterID card. I had my driver's license ready to hand as the Clerk reached for it. I pulled it back. She moved her hand back. I pushed the DL back towards her then pulled it back. Grinned, said 'Should I? Maybe not? Should I?' She said, 'If you want to vote you will.'

I said, 'Gladly,' and handed her my DL.

There was also a card reader that scanned the bar code on my voter registration. That was in no way tied to my ballot. That's a random - you choose - from one of three sheets.

There were ten people voting at the time I did, and a constant trickle while I was there. Central - nowhere - Texas.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When people are mad, dissatisfied, etc. they get out and vote. Which is why I predict a very big turnout in the next primaries.
Unless they feel like their vote won't matter. I would be surprised if Texas gets 25% of the state to vote.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:28 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Are there really 600,000 people in Texas who can't cash a check, buy liquor, enter a courthouse, buy a plane ticket, go to a NAACP meeting or take part in any other activity where a drivers license or state ID card is required?

Nonsense, it's the left trying to take away our vote.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:23 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Getting people to vote in a state is very much that own state's problem. So what has Texas done to encourage their own citizens to vote? Texas should be ashamed at how low their voter participation is.

With Voter ID, the participation numbers have increased.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:10 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
With Voter ID, the participation numbers have increased.
Prove it, from what I saw the numbers have been flat.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:41 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Prove it, from what I saw the numbers have been flat.
I agree that it's been pretty flat.

The percentage of the "voting-age population" that has been registered to vote hovered around 70% prior to the 2011 voter ID law. It's been hovering around 72% since, but that doesn't mean much.

As far as turnout is concerned, I doubt that there has been a statistically significant impact. Presidential elections see about 8 MM voters, gubernatorial elections about half of that and midterms see less than 1 MM, like clockwork.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies