Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:31 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,403,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right - and that dead horse has been beaten again and again on this thread. I won't repeat my explanation (along with sources) as to why this is. I personally wish more Texans would get out and vote, but it is what it is. Voter ID laws have absolutely nothing to do with the low voter turnout however - and THAT is the claim that some people have tried to make on this thread.
They certainly don't help the cause. Voter ID laws disenfranchise lower income residents. It is a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
CRAZY! There is not voter suppression when the citizen shows ID. Even if your ID and the Voter role is different it goes to provisional vote.

Voter ID is the last step in a established process.

It sounds to me you are encouraging people to commit voter fraud. That must be the reason why this is argued so much.

99 percent of people who vote has Photo ID and most do not object in verifying the last step.
Even if 99% of people have a photo ID (which is a false statistic), you are still disenfranchising 1% of people. Those folks have the same constitutional right as everyone else.

How am I encouraging fraud? Where is your evidence that voter fraud is a problem? Sound's like you are chasing ghosts.

Myself and all the other New York residents will be voting without our photo IDs on November 4.

Quote:
For starters, let's get this particular fact straight - Texas is only one of THIRTY THREE states which require a voter to show ID prior to voting.

The only forms of ID allowed are ID's issued by the Department of Public Safety, the US military, or certain Federal IDs (passport, citizenship certificates) which have a photo.

No photo IDs issued by any other entities - including but not limited to schools - are authorized.

The Election Identification Certificates issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety are free and easy to obtain.
Nope, you are misrepresenting the argument. Thirty three states require an ID, not a photo ID. Only eight states require a photo ID. A misrepresentation is known as... lying.

Quote:
You are totally missing the big "whys" when it comes to voter turnout. You seem to think that it's because it's difficult to vote in Texas. It's not any more difficult to vote here than it is just about anywhere else I've ever lived - and that's a lot of states.

It's complacency on the part of the voters - things are good, things have been good, and the future of Texas looks rosy. No real complaints, and no serious contenders for upheaval in any major offices/positions. So...yawn...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's one of the biggest issues. The other, as I've stated and backed up with sourced facts repeatedly, is the high ratio of Hispanic voters, who traditionally have a VERY low voter participation rate.
It is more difficult.

Like I said, I have never shown a photo ID to vote. I applied when I was 18. Every year, my registration card is mailed to me with my assigned polling place. Where is the fraud? Why is it necessary to purchase a photo ID?

The burden of proof is on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 12:50 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
They certainly don't help the cause. Voter ID laws disenfranchise lower income residents. It is a fact.

An ID is free in my state, because of voter ID. You need that ID to cash your public assistance check and take your kid to the doctor on CHIPs insurance and it is tied to your EBT card.

Voter participation is up almost 10% since implementing it.

The only people it disenfranchises is, the illegal aliens. as intended.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:00 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:

Like I said, I have never shown a photo ID to vote. I applied when I was 18. Every year, my registration card is mailed to me with my assigned polling place. Where is the fraud? Why is it necessary to purchase a photo ID?

The burden of proof is on you.

You mean I can vote and all I need is your voter registration card....

How many people move and that voter registration gets mailed to your old address. I can take it and go vote as you?

Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You mean I can vote and all I need is your voter registration card....

How many people move and that voter registration gets mailed to your old address. I can take it and go vote as you?
You can try, but unless you know how to sign that person's signature as well, you probably won't last long breaking the law.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:06 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
LOL! God, what a faux issue.

This is the 21st Century. Any person who does not have a proper photo ID-- and I really doubt there are that many -- is not a person who is going to bother voting.

Anyone feckless enough to exist without an ID-- how the hell do you do it anyway? --- is not going to make the effort to vote.

We obviously live in a Romantic age where people yearn for big issues, crusades for justice, and campaigns for human rights. When none emerge, people just make them up and repeat them ad nauseum like parrots on steroids.

Grow up already. Get an ID and vote. It's your civic duty. Better than whining about imaginary monsters bent on depriving lazy people of their rights.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:52 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
I am disenfranchise. I have to work for a living and others don't.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:51 PM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
An ID is free in my state, because of voter ID. You need that ID to cash your public assistance check and take your kid to the doctor on CHIPs insurance and it is tied to your EBT card.

Voter participation is up almost 10% since implementing it.

The only people it disenfranchises is, the illegal aliens. as intended.
You'll never be able to change a liberal's mind no matter what logic you use to counter their lame arguments. I know, I have tried. They'd go up in flames defending their nonsense before ever acknowledging that they are wrong.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:

Nope, you are misrepresenting the argument. Thirty three states require an ID, not a photo ID. Only eight states require a photo ID. A misrepresentation is known as... lying.
What I said was this:

Quote:
For starters, let's get this particular fact straight - Texas is only one of THIRTY THREE states which require a voter to show ID prior to voting.
How is that misrepresenting anything? How does that conflict with what you said, for that matter?

Accusing someone of misrepresenting something (aka lying) when they're not is, well...lying.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You'll never be able to change a liberal's mind no matter what logic you use to counter their lame arguments. I know, I have tried. They'd go up in flames defending their nonsense before ever acknowledging that they are wrong.
LOL, and it's funny to watch.

Liberals define being "open-minded" as agreeing with them.

Liberals define simple disagreement with them on issues as hatred.

Liberals start with the presumption that only white people who don't belong to the Democratic Party can be racist.

Liberals define "investment" as taking someone else's tax dollars and putting it into a project that liberals approve of

Liberals define "fairness" as taking as much as possible from people who they don't think are going to vote for them and giving it to people who may vote for them.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Anyone who can't figure out how to get a voter ID shouldn't vote. That would make them at the same level as a child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies