Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Well, if you could explain how you think fracking contaminates water ...

There is no evidence, zip, zero, nada, that fracking has any affect on water. The Leftists keep trying to prove that it does, but they have failed to show any evidence of water contamination that is attributable to fracking.

Comparison to asbestos is ridiculous.

I think you missed the point of my post. Go back and reread it so you can work out what I was trying to say . I think it's a little naive to believe that there is no chance at it might effect the environment just because the gas industry says it's safe :-P.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 07:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
I think it's a little naive to believe that there is no chance at it might effect the environment just because the gas industry says it's safe :-P.
When you are extracting resources from the ground whether it's coal, oil, gas, gold, stone, copper or the rare earth elements used in a lot of new technology it is going to have an affect on the environment. You need to weigh that damage against the benefits which include both economic and health.

The biggest concern with fracking is the groundwater and I'm going to point out even if you removed every regulation the fact remains protecting that groundwater is in the best interest of the driller. They don't want groundwater "polluting" their well nor do they want anything they are putting into the well escaping into the groundwater, by default it's in their best economic interests to protect the groundwater..

Old 10-20-2014, 07:41 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh please. I have family and friends who have gotten rich as tycoons in the Haynesville and Brown Dense shales, from leases alone. No health issues, no damaged property, and no water contamination at all. NADA.
Oh please, that is not the experience many in North Texas have had, yours got lucky, so far.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It's amazing how big money runs this country but the rest of us have to live by ever increasing environmental standards. If one of our trucks develops an oil leak and drops a quart or two of oil on the ground you should see the paperwork we have to fill out and of course the cleanup. But look at what these guys are doing out in the middle of good farmland to get the oil under the ground out.

I wonder if they are setting us up for a big earthquake too, with fracking the plates and injecting sand down there to help everything move around.

These days, gravel pits are making much more money selling sand than they do gravel or class 3 rock. All to be injected underground. How can anyone think there won't be ramifications?
Maybe I can put your mind at ease on some of these points.

1. The oil and gas industry is one of the most regulated industries out there. My husband, who is an oil and gas consultant, coordinates with local, state, and federal environmental oversight organizations on a daily basis. The forms, permits, regulatory measures, etc take up a big part of every work day for him - and he's OK with that because he sees the importance of safety and environmental regulations and laws.

2. Let's talk about earthquakes. I live in an area which has been heavily "fracked" for decades. Within the past couple of years, we've had a flurry of seismic activity - very small quakes with little or no damage and of course no injuries. People immediately started hollering, "Fracking! Fracking!" Well, the information about local earthquake history is very easy to access via the USGS website:
Welcome to the USGS - U.S. Geological Survey
Come to find out, this area has been having little clusters of earthquakes exactly like the ones we've had recently, ever since earthquakes have been being monitored (over 100 years).

Next time you hear of an earthquake, go to this site and look up the history of the area before you jump to the conclusion that fracking is what has caused it. I think you will find that MANY areas of the US have been experiencing small earthquakes for hundreds of years.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When you are extracting resources from the ground whether it's coal, oil, gas, gold, stone, copper or the rare earth elements used in a lot of new technology it is going to have an affect on the environment. You need to weigh that damage against the benefits which include both economic and health.

The biggest concern with fracking is the groundwater and I'm going to point out even if you removed every regulation the fact remains protecting that groundwater is in the best interest of the driller. They don't want groundwater "polluting" their well nor do they want anything they are putting into the well escaping into the groundwater, by default it's in their best economic interests to protect the groundwater..
Which is exactly what I said, and the other posted ignored in his response. At this point it's better for us to produce oil than the Saudis, so it offsets the damage it might do.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Oh please, that is not the experience many in North Texas have had, yours got lucky, so far.
Have you got any real evidence to back up what you're saying?

Here's my evidence:

http://www.api.org/~/media/Files/Pol...llus-Shale.pdf

Study: Marcellus Shale an Economic Godsend for Pennsylvania

Study Looks At Economic Impact Of Haynesville Shale - KTBS.com - Shreveport, LA News, Weather and Sports

Haynesville shale natural gas a 'game changer' for New Orleans region

Southwestern Sees Promise in Brown Dense Play Vertical Well Results | 2013-11-04 | Natural Gas Intelligence

McMahen well

http://la-awma.org/files/Louisiana+I...Gas+4-2014.pdf

Old 10-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Coupla things:

1. My claims (backed by my sources) had nothing to do with oil and gas in Texas. The Haynesville Shale is in north Louisiana and the Brown Dense shale is in N Louisiana and SW Arkansas.

2. I live in NE Texas, however, and my husband has worked in the oil and gas industry in TX, LA, CA, CO, Canada, WV, PA, OK, AR, the Middle East, the UK, South America, and Africa for over thirty years. So I'm pretty familiar with how oil and gas affects local economies - including the Texas economy. Wells are pretty much depleted in the eastern part of the state and it's had an impact on our local economy (though we're still doing better than the national average), but anyone involved in the oil and gas industry knows that oil and gas are FINITE resources and that over time, wells do become depleted. This is why so many families of oil and gas industry workers just settle somewhere and the oil and gas worker migrates to wherever the work is - we know we can't chase the oilfield around or we'd be moving every couple of years.

But let's talk about the Barnett shale and it's economic impact.

1. About 38 percent of the North Texas region's economic growth in the past few years is directly related to production in the Barnett shale.

2. In 2011, the Barnett shale added 11.1 BILLION dollars to the local economy,and supported over 100,000 new jobs.

3. Local and state tax revenues alone - in 2011 alone - were over 1.6 billion dollars. These funds go directly to building local and state infrastructure, which improves the lives of all citizens, not just those directly involved in the industry.

http://instituteforenergyresearch.or...Fact-Sheet.pdf

Old 10-20-2014, 09:00 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Coupla things:

1. My claims (backed by my sources) had nothing to do with oil and gas in Texas. The Haynesville Shale is in north Louisiana and the Brown Dense shale is in N Louisiana and SW Arkansas.

2. I live in NE Texas, however, and my husband has worked in the oil and gas industry in TX, LA, CA, CO, Canada, WV, PA, OK, AR, the Middle East, the UK, South America, and Africa for over thirty years. So I'm pretty familiar with how oil and gas affects local economies - including the Texas economy. Wells are pretty much depleted in the eastern part of the state and it's had an impact on our local economy (though we're still doing better than the national average), but anyone involved in the oil and gas industry knows that oil and gas are FINITE resources and that over time, wells do become depleted. This is why so many families of oil and gas industry workers just settle somewhere and the oil and gas worker migrates to wherever the work is - we know we can't chase the oilfield around or we'd be moving every couple of years.

But let's talk about the Barnett shale and it's economic impact.

1. About 38 percent of the North Texas region's economic growth in the past few years is directly related to production in the Barnett shale.

2. In 2011, the Barnett shale added 11.1 BILLION dollars to the local economy,and supported over 100,000 new jobs.

3. Local and state tax revenues alone - in 2011 alone - were over 1.6 billion dollars. These funds go directly to building local and state infrastructure, which improves the lives of all citizens, not just those directly involved in the industry.

http://instituteforenergyresearch.or...Fact-Sheet.pdf
As with your first post and the OP it is always all about the money, you do know that while money is important it is not always the only thing to be considered, as many counties in North Texas are beginning to realize. Just so ya, I know all about the lose of drilling jobs in NE Texas and what is occurring in the industry as a whole, being that I worked for Halliburton for years and knows the up and downs sides to drilling. For me when it comes to Fracking I believe the technology as not been perfected and does have many people concerned in how it is impacting the areas it has been done in and until they know more about the downsides I believe they need to at least limit it to areas that are not as populated.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
As with your first post and the OP it is always all about the money, you do know that while money is important it is not always the only thing to be considered, as many counties in North Texas are beginning to realize. Just so ya, I know all about the lose of drilling jobs in NE Texas and what is occurring in the industry as a whole, being that I worked for Halliburton for years and knows the up and downs sides to drilling.
I gave the examples of "money" because REAL PEOPLE USE REAL MONEY to better their lives and communities, as you can clearly see in areas which gain tens of thousands of well paying jobs.

Of course there are ups and downs in drilling - and in any industry. Anyone making a living in that industry NEEDS to know those ups and downs, and take personal responsibility for navigating them.

We bought our former house in the midst of the Haynesville shale boom (many NE Texas companies were working in the Haynesville shale, which was only about an hour from our house). We paid the market value for that house, at that time.

When we sold the house, we sold it when production was wayyyyyyy down in the Haynesville shale, and the real estate market locally was suffering due to the loss of jobs.

We took a loss on that house. Oh well. It made sense and it is what it is. But thankfully, we had a lot of equity in that house so we still walked away with a check in hand.

That's just life.

Quote:
For me when it comes to Fracking I believe the technology as not been perfected and does have many people concerned in how it is impacting the areas it has been done in and until they know more about the downsides I believe they need to at least limit it to areas that are not as populated.
Technology will continue to improve the process - that's the normal progression of things when it comes to high demand products, and fracking is no different. But I have no problem with concept of focusing fracking efforts in areas with low populations, for a variety of reasons.

That shouldn't be a problem, actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies