Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 02:05 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Democrats didn't have to pander. The Republicans actively drove them away, and all the Democarts had to do was acknowledge that they exist.

Thanks, Oldglory. You did a lot of heavy lifting for the Democratic party.
If the Democrats opposed amnesty you can bet your bottom dollar that Hispanics would call them racists just like they do to the GOP for being anti-amnesty. So yes, the Democrats are pandering. How did the GOP actively drive them away? Based on what? Me opposing amnesty for illegal aliens is a bad thing? Why do Hispanics think their ethnic group should be above our immigration law and why are they actively blackmailing our politicians on this issue? They threatened not to vote for Obama the last time around because he didn't produce the amnesty he promised.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:18 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You mean, Ann "I have an adams apple" Coulter?

Progressive is as Progressive does.
So, Ann doesn't want to "use" the Mexicans. They cannot vote... yet.

The Texas Hispanic Republican caucus, is bigger than the White Boy Republican caucus...
Those guys & gals, are voting Americans.

You are confusing them with facts.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:34 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
But she's right pandering to groups is cheesy politics....They have a platform and that speaks for itself.
Making false promises for votes is a democratic liberal specialty....Equal opportunity,equal rights and equal treatment means equal treatment.....Simple enough....No reason for republicans to swim in the cesspool that democrats favor...Promising everything and delivering nothing only lasts so long....

IMO Republican politics is CHEEZEY.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:10 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRICITIESTITAN View Post
I don't think the GOP is necessarily hostile to minorities...they just don't go out of their way to help them. IMO the real issue with the GOP isn't a policy of actively excluding the ideas of minorities...they are just apathetic to the issues of the non-monied class. Now...the correlation is obviously evident because minorities tend to be poorer but I don't think the correlation is enough evidence to claim causation.
And they tend to go out of their way to disenfranchise them... To most this equals hostility...

Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
And they tend to go out of their way to disenfranchise them... To most this equals hostility...
Uh; please check your history there: It was the Repubs that helped Black people really start breaking free of Jim Crow after WW 2. Eisenhauer was POTUS when Ms Parks said "enough is enough" in 1956 down in Alabama.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:26 AM

156 posts, read 119,274 times
Quote:
How do you figure? I'm sorry but I just don't buy this active disenfranchisement arguement. It has little merit and even less evidence to support the claim other than conjecture.

I'm not sure but I'm going to assume you are referencing voter ID laws? I don't agree with the laws themselves but who can't get an ID these days? It's easy. Assuming you are a legal citizen it's literally a 30 minute process...even if you don't have a residence. In my state all that you need to vote is an ID card from the state. They are only like 5 or 10 dollars and you don't even have to have a residence to have one. All that you have to update is a local shelter that you visit and that can be substituted as proof of residence because the card only acts as ID...not a drivers license.

Obviously this requires a little bit of planning and some time to prepare, but to me the laws maybe seem to disenfranchise lazy people. They don't specifically hone in on any specific demographic. If you want to vote...you can. You just have to make it happen.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:54 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
How do you figure? I'm sorry but I just don't buy this active disenfranchisement arguement. It has little merit and even less evidence to support the claim other than conjecture.

I'm not sure but I'm going to assume you are referencing voter ID laws? I don't agree with the laws themselves but who can't get an ID these days? It's easy. Assuming you are a legal citizen it's literally a 30 minute process...even if you don't have a residence. In my state all that you need to vote is an ID card from the state. They are only like 5 or 10 dollars and you don't even have to have a residence to have one. All that you have to update is a local shelter that you visit and that can be substituted as proof of residence because the card only acts as ID...not a drivers license.

Obviously this requires a little bit of planning and some time to prepare, but to me the laws maybe seem to disenfranchise lazy people. They don't specifically hone in on any specific demographic. If you want to vote...you can. You just have to make it happen.
Lazy people aren't really the issue here. The people that have been affected the most are the homeless, disabled, and elderly. Even though 5 to 10 dollars to you and I might be considered a small amount of money; it is a fact that any amount of money that has to be paid to vote is considered a poll tax. Conservatives have tried this once before and now this is a new age round two...

Honestly I don't really mind having to show ID to vote. But this ID should be standardized, given free of charge to everyone, and involve no hassle... And you know what? We're not there yet...

Old 10-21-2014, 11:41 AM

156 posts, read 119,274 times
Quote:
Lazy people aren't really the issue here. The people that have been affected the most are the homeless, disabled, and elderly. Even though 5 to 10 dollars to you and I might be considered a small amount of money; it is a fact that any amount of money that has to be paid to vote is considered a poll tax. Conservatives have tried this once before and now this is a new age round two...

Honestly I don't really mind having to show ID to vote. But this ID should be standardized, given free of charge to everyone, and involve no hassle... And you know what? We're not there yet...
This I agree with 100%. It should be easier to get an ID...and it should be free. If the state/electoral commission requires it...it shouldn't cost anything to obtain.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:52 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
This I agree with 100%. It should be easier to get an ID...and it should be free. If the state/electoral commission requires it...it shouldn't cost anything to obtain.
'

That's why in Texas you can get a FREE Election Identification Card:
TxDPS - Election Identification Certificate (EIC)

Old 10-21-2014, 11:55 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
'

That's why in Texas you can get a FREE Election Identification Card:
TxDPS - Election Identification Certificate (EIC)
Perhaps they should try this in every state. I don't think a person should be paying to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies