Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 02:59 PM

10,020 posts, read 9,472,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradsoon View Post
Should the United States pass a law for 35 hour workweek (from current 40) and then require overtime pay if it goes beyond 35 hour? I think 7 hours of labor is enough for 21st century. It has worked well is many countries such as in France.
Then feel free to move to France.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:00 PM

19,784 posts, read 12,037,251 times
Quote:
Thanks to Obamacare I got free healthcare

No need to pay for dental, vision or any other medical treatment.
Quote:
Who said I don't work? I substitute teach
Free for you, contributors have to pay.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:00 PM

2,923 posts, read 5,596,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Drill water wells.
how difficult is it to get into that? i work 6 months per year but pay is pretty low in my industry (politics) so only make decent money when billing for massive hours. want to get into something else but only interested in seasonal type jobs since i like taking long vacations.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:01 PM

10,020 posts, read 9,472,148 times
Quote:
Thanks to Obamacare I got free healthcare

No need to pay for dental, vision or any other medical treatment.
LOL.... Free for you, but the cos is passed on to the rest of us taxpayer.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:04 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,276,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
how difficult is it to get into that? i work 6 months per year but pay is pretty low in my industry (politics) so only make decent money when billing for massive hours. want to get into something else but only interested in seasonal type jobs since i like taking long vacations.
Call some drillers and see if they need help.

It is hard dirty work.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:18 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,787,672 times
Quote:
Who said I don't work? I substitute teach
Probably call in sick all the time, even when you're only scheduled for five hours a week.

Where's the motivation to work when everything in life is free for you at the taxpayers expense?

Old 10-19-2014, 03:51 PM

79 posts, read 72,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Probably call in sick all the time, even when you're only scheduled for five hours a week.

Where's the motivation to work when everything in life is free for you at the taxpayers expense?
Who said everything is free? We only get free healthcare and food stamp. Actually financial aid grants also covered 80% of my tuition and grateful for that.

Old 10-19-2014, 04:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,745,522 times
Quote:
Should the United States pass a law for 35 hour workweek (from current 40) and then require overtime pay if it goes beyond 35 hour? I think 7 hours of labor is enough for 21st century. It has worked well is many countries such as in France.
so now you want us to become france?

Old 10-19-2014, 05:15 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,255,705 times
Quote:
As a Software Dev (a 21st Century industry), my workday went something like this, go to work from 8 or 10 to around 3-5. Go home, eat dinner, watch TV, play a video game, whatever. Around 8-9 some bell would ring on the problem I was trying to solve, and I'd work logged into the corporate network from home through to 2-3 using that inspiration. That's about a 12 hour day, didn't happen every day, but then some days everything just flows and you find that it's now midnight and you need to grab something from an all night takeout to finish up the last few hours check it in and set it off unit testing, other days you might only be there for meetings, or just take a comp day.

How about instead of thinking about how many hours we work (which assumes everyone is as productive per hour as everyone else and this is not the case), we look at goal oriented employment? Which is more or less how I've worked for 15+ years.

Your employer expects you to complete tasks (goals), you can complete the tasks in however long you want, as long as it's before a deadline. That way people who are efficient get paid the same, but for less hours (effectively increasing their hourly rate), people less efficient get paid the same, but for more hours (effectively reducing their hourly rate). People who habitually miss deadlines are easy to identify and manage out, people who habitually complete before deadline (and under average task time) can be evaluated for being promoted (and passing their efficiency tips on to other members of staff). People who achieve deadlines are kept but not going anywhere.

It enables employee direct competition (which increases motivation), clarifies productivity and employee value, and is of benefit to both sides of the equation employers and employees, and it's equitable.

You would determine how many hours you work, for better or worse, since the actual metric used is not tied to hours worked but productivity.

Old 10-19-2014, 05:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,400,602 times
That works for knowledge-based professions but not so much with manual labor and manufacturing. The guy serving up coffee needs to be there for his entire shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.