Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 05:31 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Yeah, it would be a real shame to pay for the needs of our own citizens for a change, right?
ahahahahahahahaha! ahahahahahahahaha!

Old 10-19-2014, 06:40 PM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradsoon View Post
Who said I don't work? I substitute teach

Oh no, your indoctrinating others with this?

Old 10-19-2014, 06:44 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
That works for knowledge-based professions but not so much with manual labor and manufacturing.
Sure it works for manual labor and manufacturing. It just needs a little bit of thought, management, and planning.

Consider manual labor, move pile of rock from here to there, it's atomic, time estimate 2 hours, dig trenches, estimated time 4 hours, clear felled trees and brush, estimated time 2 hours. Eight hour day. Joe comes in at 8:30 and does it in 8 hours leaving at 5:30 with a lunch hour, Bob comes in at the same time and does it in 6, Bob leaves at 2:30 then picks up his kids from school and goes for ice cream, since he did it faster and skipped lunch.

Manufacturing is even easier, most tasks in manufacturing are already atomic (assemble sub assembly 3 and install into chassis) estimated time to complete 15 minutes, so someone can complete 24 in an 8 hour day, if someone completes 24 in 5 hours they're off for the rest of the day if it takes them 10 hours then they leave after 10 hours (or miss a deadline). If materials are short, the company eats the wage costs, and pushes the deadline out the same amount as it takes to restock (as currently happens anyway).

In the late 80's I knew a guy worked construction, had a killer crew, they'd go bid on jobs with payment for completion, finish it in half the time estimate and go to the next job, they were making mucho dinero because they had an awesome rep (since they were fast and good), and because they came in did the job and left and were normally running 2 jobs in the time most crews ran one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The guy serving up coffee needs to be there for his entire shift.
You've clearly never visited the coffee places I frequent

Sure there are some service professions that are time based, wait staff, baristas, massage therapists, etc. but they're not the norm. These are easily identifiable because the public spends time there. People don't go visit their local autoplant, but will go to the movies. However that doesn't mean that the rest of the jobs that are not so constrained should be tied to some concept of a "working week", if productivity and employee satisfaction can be improved by using production goals. I mean think about it, if you're working in some soul destroying factory somewhere, don't you think that if you could work faster to get out of there sooner you would try to? Since people know that they're running an 8 hour shift, if they produce 20 widgets in that time or 15 widgets, or 25 widgets it's pretty much irrelevant to them how many they complete, because they're watching the clock for shifts end, and not the actual task to get out of there.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:48 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Should the United States pass a law for 35 hour workweek (from current 40) and then require overtime pay if it goes beyond 35 hour? I think 7 hours of labor is enough for 21st century. It has worked well is many countries such as in France.

Does this apply for the self employed?
So the self employed, can make more by being allowed to work more hours, than the peasant employees?

I have a better idea.... No such thing as an employee.
Everyone is self employed.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,196,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We did need some changes in healthcare in the USA.

Just not the ACA.

Universal healthcare is not the answer either......IMO.
I always said that with all of the $$ government waste would most probably easily pay for healthcare for each and every LEGAL American citizen.

BTW: I agree with your bolded.

Old 10-19-2014, 07:14 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,344,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Does this apply for the self employed?
So the self employed, can make more by being allowed to work more hours, than the peasant employees?

I have a better idea.... No such thing as an employee.
Everyone is self employed.
If they are smart that is how they file their taxes.

I always did.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:38 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
No. Some people need forty hours a week to get by. If they can't take overtime because their employers won't let them, then what?

Last edited by Osito; 10-19-2014 at 08:49 PM..

Old 10-19-2014, 08:42 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We did need some changes in healthcare in the USA.

Just not the ACA.

Universal healthcare is not the answer either......IMO.

then what IS the answer?>?

Old 10-19-2014, 08:47 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Thanks to Obamacare I got free healthcare

No need to pay for dental, vision or any other medical treatment.
No, you did not.

It costs EVEN MORE than it did before. You're just stealing someone else's labors to pay for it.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:47 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
So you want something for nothing? Where doe's that come from? Get a part time job and live your dream life in mama's basement if that's your dream...I don't think that's a scene for your mama's dream though..
Get a little realistic,It helps,,since one doesn't live in a dream world,,here's a hint,life is real. Start from there and in time you'll grow up.
Enjoy your high school years or your school years while your there,,It's quite evident you haven't wandered into the real world yet.
I'm evidently more in tune to the real world than someone who believes everything is centered around scraps of paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies