Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 12:26 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,635,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Robertson sounds like he's in sync with the secularists who also have Halloween dead in their sights. Its a Holiday that promotes violence( horror and slasher flicks) and vandalism, and a belief in witchcraft and the afterlife. Not to mention it centers around giving away candy which is now in opposition to their concerns with an obesity epidemic.
Its a fun holiday with pagan and Christian roots and I'm reminded of two local dinguses( atheists) who were interviewed on radio who protested the holiday as stupid and backwards. Bible thumpers, atheists, just back off and shut your stupid yaps. Leave our Holidays alone, people.
I reserve my right to think that halloween is a largely meaningless holdover from a darkly superstitious time. That in no way means that you aren't free to celebrate it in any way you wish (except for blood sacrifice or ritual killing.)

Old 10-20-2014, 12:46 PM

7,971 posts, read 7,311,900 times
That reminds me how the local fundies used to attack the elementary school Halloween parades when my oldest daughter attended there. The kids (kindergarten, first, second and third graders) would march in their costumes around the school. The religious fanatics used to pass around petitions (hardly anyone signed them)...but they never gave up. They did it every year my daughter went to school there.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:14 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,987,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
In todays world, unlike the one Pat lives in, it is nothing more than an opportunity/excuse for children to dress up in cool costumes and get free candy and treats, and excuse for adults to decorate their homes. Only people that live in alternative universe believe anyone is treating the holiday as some sort of Satanic celebration.
In my neck of the woods, its as much an adult holiday as for children.
We throw an awesome Halloween party and it is one of my favorite events.

One year, the new neighbors across the street declined, because they are born
again and stated it was against their faith. I wasn't offended or anything. I just
found it kind of odd, but didn't get into a defensive argument. And, they certainly
missed a great bash So I guess Pat Robertson falls with that crowd - party
poopers

Old 10-20-2014, 01:23 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,864,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

again and stated it was against their faith. I wasn't offended or anything. I just
found it kind of odd, but didn't get into a defensive argument. And, they certainly
poopers
Good for you guys, I have been to a few good bashes on Halloween in the past, not into that thing as much these days. Strange since no where in The Bible does it say that thou shalt not dress up in costumes and have a good time, maybe they have a different version of the Bible than I do, to each their own.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:50 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,288,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post

poopers
In my neck of the woods, Halloween has been a biggie for adults, especially college students.
From 2009:
Mall Crawl gets cop call
**The Mall Crawl was a gigantic gathering of drunken revelers that swarmed the Pearl Street Mall every Halloween until there were so many people committing so many different crimes that police had to shut it down. . . . The point is, bearing the "Mall Crawl" label or not, Halloween in Boulder is rowdy, intense and alcoholic.**

2010:
Naked Pumpkin Run, Boulder Mall Crawl: Cops ready if they make a Halloween comeback | Westword

Last year:
https://www.facebook.com/MallCrawl

I haven't heard anything about this year.

The same went on in Madison, WI.

In my own neighborhood, a lot of us don't have kids anymore, but there are still lots of Halloween decorations.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:00 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,494,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

The same went on in Madison, WI.

In my own neighborhood, a lot of us don't have kids anymore, but there are still lots of Halloween decorations.
Madison Halloween is CROWDED beyond belief. I went just once, back in 2002 & interestingly enough, that was the first year in awhile that the police really had to get involved in some riots. I can't believe I didn't see any since I was there. It was impossible to get drinks in the bars but overall it was a good time. I think that was the last time anything violent or semi violent has happened at Madison's State St Halloween weekend. I'm getting too old to stand in line for 45 minutes to get a drink, I'd just bring my own flask or something, lol. Anyway regarding Robertson, why even give him any time of day? He's an old vile person who is just an antagonistic evil awful person. I love Halloween, it's my favorite holiday. I probably should have my place decorated all year, I love it that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.