Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 11:27 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,376,973 times

Advertisements

Like anything in life, a one size fits all mentality doesn't take in all the possible variations.

The heathcare bill is a perfect example. What 60 yo man, needs an OGBYN?
One size doesn't fit all.

In my line of business I always get asked to provide a one size fits all and then don't understand why I am 6x's higher than the next guy. I have to tell them I must take into consideration the worst case scenario.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 11:33 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,376,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
"Messed up freedom in the USA"? What rights should vary by geography and be taken away if you cross state lines?

We are not discussing rights in this thread.
Nothing has amended the Constitution lately, except the NDAA, the NSA ruling, and the IRS coverup.
Those were not done by amendment, but by statutory law and they clearly violate our rights, as described in the chains we placed on the governments, called the US Constitution.

This thread is about statutory law. Only certain freedom is a right.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:35 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,403,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is not a good example. From an insurer's point of view they want to spread the risk and costs. That's why insurance covers a triple bypass for everyone - whether you are healthly 20 year old or an aging old fart.

A perfect example would be one that directly addresses your claim about one-size-fit-all federal laws that work for New York but for New Mexico.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:35 AM

23,512 posts, read 23,854,370 times
Quote:
What 60 yo man, needs an OGBYN?
NO man, regardless of age, needs an OBGYN.

Here's another gem - why am I required to have pediatric dental coverage? I don't have any kids. In the extremely unlikely event that my girlfriend should become pregnant, I'll have nine months to find a policy before the child is born, and a year or so after that before he or she actually has teeth to see a dentist about. But I'm required by law to have a policy which covers my non-existent children, anyway.

The idiocy of those who passed that atrocity - as well as those who still support it today - is unsurpassed. Mindless boobs who can do nothing but cheer for their team, because, well, it's their team! Rah! Rah! Rah!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:57 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,828,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Again, is this about something specific or another one of your general rants you do? What "one size fits all" policy or law are you upset about?
I can name plenty, for example water heaters larger than 55 gallons will be required to be heated using air sourced heat pumps in 2015. These units rob heat from the home, this makes perfect sense if you live in a warmer climate and that's a desirable side affect. If you live in a colder climate during colder weather these units will drive up your energy usage and energy costs.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:03 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,227,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I can name plenty, for example water heaters larger than 55 gallons will be required to be heated using air sourced heat pumps in 2015. These units rob heat from the home, this makes perfect sense if you live in a warmer climate and that's a desriable side affect. If you live in a colder climate during colder weather these units will drive up your energy usage and energy costs.
Is that the law that wants to classify water heaters as boilers???

If it passes in Michigan.....water heaters will not be sold in big box stores or, hardware stores.

They will be bought from a professional.......plumbers will install them.

The bill would be law now......but, well drillers want the right to install them too.....that is one thing blocking the law.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,828,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Is that the law that wants to classify water heaters as boilers???
This is a new regulation that sets efficiency standards for water heaters, technically an air sourced heat pump is super efficient however.....

Heating air with <insert any fuel here> and then mechanically converting that heat to make hot water can never be as efficient as directly heating the water with <insert any fuel here> to begin with.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,022,575 times
Quote:

That is part of the bare minimum coverage. Which includes things that are for that 60yr old man that I won't be needing any time soon.

Though it is nice to see you come back to your own thread and to give it a point...unfortunately it is this tired meme that seems to pop up from time to time in here and gets argued to death.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:20 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,906,080 times
The Federal Minimum Wage is a good example.
What is a living wage in, let's say, Mississippi, would be a starvation wage in Oakland. What would be a living wage in Oakland would be absolute wealth in many areas of the country.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,380,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Again, is this about something specific or another one of your general rants you do? What "one size fits all" policy or law are you upset about?
I'll name another one...federal minwage

min wage should not be set federally...one size fits all

min wage IF it truly needs to be, should be set locally

$20/hr in NY is equal to about $8/hr in Alabama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies