Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2014, 02:59 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,493,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Look at our society and how it has changed. It used to be men and women were only allowed to be married if same religion. Then that changed. Then it was no blacks and whites can be married, then that changed. Then it was same sex wasnt allowed, and now that has changed. Only thing left is taking the age away from legal marriage. Of course some states are 14 with consent, which will eventually go away, as that used to be the norm, being married at the age of 14/15.
Mark my words, pedophiles will work on this one. And same sex marriage isnt legal everywhere, as it hasnt been completely approved by SCOTUS, only not judged by them.
PS, LBGT is the same mentality, emotional and sexual relations with same sex. Pedo's will be hot on their tail to make this happen...
I am against pedophiles as much as any straight person. What makes you think that anybody with any senses would even let it get to the point where the abuse of children is allowed. Why even think that because gays want to get married that something that SICK would be allowed. AGAIN THE CHILDREN ARE VICTIMS. Please drop the pedophelia part, that is just plain old tired. Only the losing side uses that as an effort to hit a hot spot. And you seem to forget that most pedophiles are straight married men.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:03 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Well, in this case it's not society, it's not the people of Idaho who are writing their marriage laws anymore. The courts took that over.

Much like Loving V Virginia, from a legal point of view it doesn't matter if the people of the state removed the ban themselves, or if the Courts did. A Business must still follow the law. A Church doesn't have to, a Business does.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:21 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowtotheworld View Post
How is it constitutional to force a person to act in violation of their religion if no one is hurt? That equates to the state prohibiting the free exercise of religion.
So if a restaurant owner says the don't serve racial minorities due to "their religion", does that make a "whites only" cafe ok?

Old 10-20-2014, 03:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Maybe people should quit trying to force others to do what they don't want to do because of their right to have their own feelings and thoughts about an issue?

I wouldn't want anyone to perform my Marriage Ceremony if I knew they did not believe in my Marriage.
I'm sure there are numerous other places that would marry this couple without issue and it would be a joyous celebration not a forced performance.
They can have their own feelings and thoughts. What they can not do as business owners is break the laws of the city or state in regards to operating a business.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:32 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
So if a restaurant owner says the don't serve racial minorities due to "their religion", does that make a "whites only" cafe ok?
In a genuinely free society it would be legally OK, but no, not morally.

But as some say all the time, you can't legislate morality..except when you can I guess.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:58 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Got an example of a Muslim for-profit wedding chapel business? I thought not.
Why don't you and your significant other try it out and get back to me?

Old 10-20-2014, 04:05 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Shia Imams sell "temporary marriages"/sex licenses called Nikāḥ al-Mutʿah, which is pretty much analogous to selling wedding services.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:12 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Shia Imams sell "temporary marriages"/sex licenses called Nikāḥ al-Mutʿah, which is pretty much analogous to selling wedding services.
Do you know of any that are technically and legally declared a for-profit Business?

Old 10-20-2014, 04:32 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Do you know of any that are technically and legally declared a for-profit Business?
I would pay to see what would unfold if this wasn't a christian couple, but an Imam. I'm sure many on the left would look the other way.

Old 10-20-2014, 04:45 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,465,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I would pay to see what would unfold if this wasn't a christian couple, but an Imam. I'm sure many on the left would look the other way.
Not if the Iman was running a for-profit turnstile wedding chapel business. If you are going to attack "the left" with "what-ifs" at least make up a likely scanario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies