Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 08:46 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
A few problems with that are businesses truly engaged in interstate commerce, health, or no reasonable alternative.

Gas stations refusing gas, a motel refusing a room, a pharmacy refusing medicine. Things like that.

In the private business cases I've heard about --- marriage or wedding cakes, photos, receptions or t-shirts --- simple alternatives were available, so your idea would work.
I agree on medical services, and maybe gas stations. But there are pharmacies on just about every corner and in just about all grocery stores. There are more pharmacies than there are bakeries. If pharmacy 1 won't serve you go to pharmacy 2. There are simple alternatives for pharmacies too.

Old 10-27-2014, 08:54 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
From reading these diatribes, it is readily apparent that some people believe that people of faith, no matter what religion or denomination, have no rights when they come into conflict with the rights of any minority. The rights of the minority ALWAYS have priority!
That attitude is apparently justified as being the backlash resulting from past discrimination.
I wonder how long it will be before the "backlash" begins to swing back ?
Y'know, folks, "society" is not static. It WILL eventually change. Everything we say or do feeds that change. It may take decades, but the change WILL occur!
One should be VERY careful that one does not cause a change that one will not like!
But then, who cares, right? Chances are one won't live to see the change anyway. Let the kids and grandkids deal with it when it happens, right?

When it comes to basic rights, IMO a business has the right to say "I don't want to deal with you, go someplace else!" At that point, the customer should simply go someplace else.
I know, I know, the law says different. Obviously, I think the law is WRONG! It grants special rights to a group of people by taking rights away from another group. That, IMO, is WRONG! Nothing I have read here gives me cause to change that opinion!

If you own a business, you have certain rules you must follow. One of which is not to discriminate. It really shouldn't be a hard concept. You want the benefits that come with providing a business, don't discriminate, simple.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:00 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,337,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I agree on medical services, and maybe gas stations. But there are pharmacies on just about every corner and in just about all grocery stores. There are more pharmacies than there are bakeries. If pharmacy 1 won't serve you go to pharmacy 2. There are simple alternatives for pharmacies too.
Wow.. And what if every pharmacy in 50 miles turns you down? What if you're having a medical issue that requires something as simple as a prescribed medicine or bad things will happen? What if said person doesn't have the means to transport themselves long distance?

You people are advocating freedoms that put great burdens on people in minority groups. Why don't we just expand these laws to say that businesses can turn away people they think are witches? Says in the bible in Exodus 22:18 "You must not allow a sorceress to live".

Oh but that's ridiculous isn't it? Of course witches don't exist! But if someone believed you were one, they could turn you away and cite "religious freedom" and I suppose the government is supposed to just walk away and go "Well it's their religious right!"

Bullocks.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:05 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,633,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I will have my "marriage" and nothing you can do about it.
You got your piece of paper and all those benefits why are you not happy?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Refusing to abide by basic human decency toward others
Why does the homosexual refuse to abide by this? The homosexual intentionally bullies the religious because they are perceived by the homosexual to be weak and defenseless, easy marks to work over. However the religious have God on their side in addition to their faith and belief, something the homosexual could use in their lives as they may become happier individuals with it, not only in the long term but the short term present day as well. And we all live happily ever after.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Edited to add: I just noticed your location is: "United Stars With Orion".
So? You have your United States of America I have the United Stars With Orion. Star power baby, you are surrounded. Literally.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
Wow.. And what if every pharmacy in 50 miles turns you down? What if you're having a medical issue that requires something as simple as a prescribed medicine or bad things will happen? What if said person doesn't have the means to transport themselves long distance?

You people are advocating freedoms that put great burdens on people in minority groups. Why don't we just expand these laws to say that businesses can turn away people they think are witches? Says in the bible in Exodus 22:18 "You must not allow a sorceress to live".

Oh but that's ridiculous isn't it? Of course witches don't exist! But if someone believed you were one, they could turn you away and cite "religious freedom" and I suppose the government is supposed to just walk away and go "Well it's their religious right!"

Bullocks.
The point is, SOME people think it's ok for businesses that they would not be discriminated in to be allowed to discriminate against me for being a lesbian. I say let them ALL discriminate for any reason they choose as long as they post who they will not serve.

I live in a small town, there is ONE bakery in town. If that ONE bakery refuses me service I have to travel to get to another one. There is ONE grocery store in my town too. If that one grocery store turns me away I have to travel to get groceries. And in my state they can refuse to serve me if they so choose. Why shouldn't they be allowed to refuse service to anyone, since they can legally refuse to serve me?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:14 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Why does the homosexual refuse to abide by this? The homosexual intentionally bullies the religious because they are perceived by the homosexual to be weak and defenseless, easy marks to work over. However the religious have God on their side in addition to their faith and belief, something the homosexual could use in their lives as they may become happier individuals with it, not only in the long term but the short term present day as well. And we all live happily ever after.
I am religious. I have no problem with gay marriage.

If I was to extend my Biblical view across ALL peoples, not just the ones who believe the same texts that I do, I would have to ask all of you if you have a Kosher ketubah and if you were married by a rabbi. If not, you're living in sin!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:19 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
If certain religious people don't want gay people to have legal protections from discrimination in commercial activities, perhaps they should first give up their legal protections from discrimination in commercial activities.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If certain religious people don't want gay people to have legal protections from discrimination in commercial activities, perhaps they should first give up their legal protections from discrimination in commercial activities.
Exactly my point. Either we have no P.A. laws, or they cover everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies