Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 09:43 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,144,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Please JJ, post links to these situations. Your assertion here is invalid, untrue, and false unless it actually happened otherwise and rather on the overly dramatic side to say the least.
The couple in the OP. The bakeries. The photographer in AZ.
ALL businesses that refused service to people based on their sexual orientation.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,322,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
We have been trying to do that, but you see what comes of that. Just look at this or any one of the dozens of other threads on this topic. People seem to believe that "religious belief" trumps the law. So let them have it their way. I'm tired of fighting this one. Let anyone discriminate for any reason BUT they must post who they won't serve on their door. See how long they stay in business with a no blacks, or women, or Christians, or gays, or Jews, or whatever sign on their door. I have faith that they wouldn't be in business for long IF they had to display their bigotry for all to see.
This I'm sure would be effective in places that aren't majority Christian conservatives... but would ultimately fail in many rural and especially southern states. A practice such as this would force those minority groups to move out of that area. Why wouldn't they when the businesses in the area area discriminating against them?

No, this wouldn't put businesses out in these areas! This would just isolate minority groups and force them out. This is well documented in the past and we know it doesn't work.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:56 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,144,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
This I'm sure would be effective in places that aren't majority Christian conservatives... but would ultimately fail in many rural and especially southern states. A practice such as this would force those minority groups to move out of that area. Why wouldn't they when the businesses in the area area discriminating against them?

No, this wouldn't put businesses out in these areas! This would just isolate minority groups and force them out. This is well documented in the past and we know it doesn't work.
You might be surprised. I live in podunk MS and have had very few issues even though discrimination based on sexual orientation is allowed under the state law.

All I am saying is if it is ok to discriminate, then it should be ok to discriminate for ANY reason. Not just "I don't like this group, so discriminating against them is ok, but not against a group I like".

Old 10-27-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You might be surprised. I live in podunk MS and have had very few issues even though discrimination based on sexual orientation is allowed under the state law.

All I am saying is if it is ok to discriminate, then it should be ok to discriminate for ANY reason. Not just "I don't like this group, so discriminating against them is ok, but not against a group I like".
LOL

I don't discriminate, I hate everyone equally! :-)

Old 10-27-2014, 10:12 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,920,095 times
Actually, discrimination is alive and well all across our country. It just isn't against a "protected class", so it is not only going on, it is widely accepted and justified.
Smokers are the best example. Not so many years ago, I was DENIED a motel room because I was a smoker, and there were no "smoking rooms" available. Even though I readily agreed to NOT smoke in the room, I was NOT allowed to rent a room. Rather than find a lawyer, I just went elsewhere.
It was (and is) my opinion that if the motel management didn't want me there, that was (and is) their absolute RIGHT, and I had no right to force them to accept my business. I wonder how that motel is doing now that there ARE no "smoking rooms", and they have to rent "non-smoking" rooms to smokers?
How long will it be until businesses are allowed to refuse service to smokers because they smell bad?
Yes, discrimination IS alive and well! It is simply that many people accept it, because they LIKE it! They think it is JUSTIFIED! No, I take that back, they don't THINK it is justified, they KNOW it is, so THAT kind of discrimination is perfectly all right!

Old 10-27-2014, 10:22 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,065,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I wonder how that motel is doing now that there ARE no "smoking rooms", and they have to rent "non-smoking" rooms to smokers?
I assume you never tried to stay at this motel again, so how do you know it no longer offers smoking rooms?

Quote:
How long will it be until businesses are allowed to refuse service to smokers because they smell bad?
Businesses are currently allowed to refuse service to people on the basis that they smell bad. Also, they might fear a smoker fill damage their property by smoking in it - that's a perfectly legal reason to deny use of your real property to a smoker.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Actually, discrimination is alive and well all across our country. It just isn't against a "protected class", so it is not only going on, it is widely accepted and justified.
Smokers are the best example. Not so many years ago, I was DENIED a motel room because I was a smoker, and there were no "smoking rooms" available. Even though I readily agreed to NOT smoke in the room, I was NOT allowed to rent a room. Rather than find a lawyer, I just went elsewhere.
It was (and is) my opinion that if the motel management didn't want me there, that was (and is) their absolute RIGHT, and I had no right to force them to accept my business. I wonder how that motel is doing now that there ARE no "smoking rooms", and they have to rent "non-smoking" rooms to smokers?
Yes, discrimination IS alive and well! It is simply that many people accept it, because they LIKE it! They think it is JUSTIFIED! No, I take that back, they don't THINK it is justified, they KNOW it is, so THAT kind of discrimination is perfectly all right!
This is a false equivocation. Homosexuality is not a choice, smoking is. It is my opinion however that it was wrong for them to refuse service to you based on that after you've told them that you won't break the rules.

Old 10-27-2014, 10:25 AM

34,620 posts, read 21,499,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
liberals don't want to strip churches of their non-profit status
Actually, many liberals are very vocal about wanting this.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:03 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,065,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Such as me. I think it's ghastly that our government subsidizes religion by exempting their holdings and income from taxation.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Blows my mind too that churches are tax free... but given enough time I'm sure this will change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies