Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:01 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Self employment....

Those classified as employees, seem to have this high level of entitlement.

What were they classified as, before the label employment was created by the government(to place you into a group).

Why do we need that label of employee? What benefits are you entitled to, by wearing that label.

Is being an employee a safety net?

What if(and that is a big if) everyone were self employed. Would you be under contract with a company to subcontract? Would you be without work? Would you be able to collect unemployment(there is no employment so it couldn't be called that)

Would there be more or less accountability on production, or would those that produce less make less?
Would the workplace be more equal or less equal?

If you were classified as self-employed, would you be able to set your own destiny and determine your worth to the world?

Open borders and self employment for all.... Just think about that little drive, to be competitive.

You would get hired on your merits and reputation, maybe your price, just like when you are employed.
FICA doesn't rob your paycheck when your self employed.

Self-employed, or employed.... Why are you one or the other and do you wish you could have it the other way around where you work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 12:16 PM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
FICA doesn't rob your paycheck when your self employed.

Self-employed, or employed.... Why are you one or the other and do you wish you could have it the other way around where you work.
Wrong, it robs you more transparently for the full 13.5% that you currently get robbed. Are you talking "under the table" self employed? Then yeah, you get around FICA. If not, and actually being legal and all that, FICA finds you either way.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:20 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Wrong, it robs you more transparently for the full 13.5% that you currently get robbed. Are you talking "under the table" self employed? Then yeah, you get around FICA. If not, and actually being legal and all that, FICA finds you either way.
Nope.....

I do not pay FICA.

I never show a profit.

A % of "0" is "0".

Old 10-20-2014, 12:22 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
If everyone were self employed, the economy would collapse. There have to be a few people working for other people. Business owners are self employed, but they can't run the business on their own.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
If everyone were self employed, the economy would collapse. There have to be a few people working for other people. Business owners are self employed, but they can't run the business on their own.
But, all workers could be 1099.

Self-employed.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:26 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
But, all workers could be 1099.

Self-employed.
Ok, I didn't think about that.

So I guess it is theoretically possible to have everyone be self employed. There'd still be a massive economic (and thus, sociopolitical) shift. One that might be negative, might be positive. Depends on perspective and other circumstances.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:

If you pay me by check, for a job I completed under contract for you at your house, what is stopping me from going to your bank and cashing it?

Is your bank going to get my SS# and report it to the Government?

FICA has no way of knowing what I make. All my information is voluntary. There is no record of my income. I deposit very little in the bank and I do not go to my bank to cash your check.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post

All self employed people, work for someone else, or they starve.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:45 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Not sure where 13.5% came from, isnt it 12.4%? anyways....

So few realize that is not the 6.2%....Now for a fun fact....it doesn't apply on incomes over 112K. sooo if you make 100K, you pay 12.4% in FICA, and you've hit the federal 28% tax bracket. So at 100K you pay...if single...21.2% in federal, plus 12.4% in FICA (assuming you would otherwise get the fica paid on your behalf by your employer) for a total of 33.4% meanwhile folks like Romney pay 14.7%.......call it 14.71% with FICA added as it can only touch 12.4% of the first 112K....which is a rounding error for the .01%

14.7% vs's 33.4%. Yes the rich have it so hard.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you pay me by check, for a job I completed under contract for you at your house, what is stopping me from going to your bank and cashing it?

Is your bank going to get my SS# and report it to the Government?

FICA has no way of knowing what I make. All my information is voluntary. There is no record of my income. I deposit very little in the bank and I do not go to my bank to cash your check.
Whoa!!!!

You must be having the checks made out to YOU.....not the business.

All business checks HAS to be made out to the business.......and deposited in the business account.

That is a federal law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies