Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 05:43 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,407,321 times

Advertisements

The people of the US believe that inequality is the largest threat.

Middle Easterners See Religious and Ethnic Hatred as Top Global Threat | Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project

And yet if you read here on CD you get statements like inequality does not exist, or it doesnt matter.

Turns out its considered the most serious threat here in the US.

I suspect the road to the presidency in 2016 will revolve around this topic. Hopefully reasonable solutions are suggested, and not anything drastic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 05:45 PM

1,199 posts, read 735,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Middle Easterners See Religious and Ethnic Hatred as Top Global Threat | Pew Research Center's Global Attitudes Project

And yet if you read here on CD you get statements like inequality does not exist, or it doesnt matter.

I suspect the road to the presidency in 2016 will revolve around this topic. Hopefully reasonable solutions are suggested, and not anything drastic.
Are we talking about income inequality, wealth inequality, opportunity inequality.....

Phone is being weird, having a hard time pulling your link up

Old 10-20-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Are we talking about income inequality, wealth inequality, opportunity inequality.....

Phone is being weird, having a hard time pulling your link up
The pew poll wasnt specific per se. income inequality is what causes wealth inequality for the most part, so while different they're really the same in the initial cause. And from there opportunity inequality is becoming more of an issue as wealth and income of your parents are often drivers for the childrens opportunities.

Given the nature of the poll I suspect its wealth inequality that most people think of.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:24 PM

17,468 posts, read 9,296,474 times
Quote:

27% is supposed to indicate "the largest threat in the USA"? OK, but I think I'm going to go with the 63% that don't think that "inequality" (which is not even defined) is the "largest threat" facing the USA today. I suspect that it WON'T be the big topic of the 2016 election ..... and isn't it interesting that "global warming" comes in ahead of "disease & AIDS" as the last two issues of concern.

"inequality" is just about tied with "religious & ethnic hatred" in the USA -- that's what Parrot Talk will get you.

I suspect it's going to be a lot more about drought/famine, crime/riots, jobs/economy/inflation .... but I'm basing all that on "Been there, Seen that".

Old 10-20-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
27% is supposed to indicate "the largest threat in the USA"? OK, but I think I'm going to go with the 63% that don't think that "inequality" (which is not even defined) is the "largest threat" facing the USA today. I suspect that it WON'T be the big topic of the 2016 election ..... and isn't it interesting that "global warming" comes in ahead of "disease & AIDS" as the last two issues of concern.

"inequality" is just about tied with "religious & ethnic hatred" in the USA -- that's what Parrot Talk will get you.

I suspect it's going to be a lot more about drought/famine, crime/riots, jobs/economy/inflation .... but I'm basing all that on "Been there, Seen that".
By your argument the majority dont think any of the 5 are the biggest threat. In fact, hey since theres no clear majority, lets just not worry about any of them right? And saying inequality is not defined is a cop out. Come on, this is like "whats obscene?" You know it when you see it. We could pick a gini coefficient number if you wanted.

I do agree I was surprised that global warming was such a large concern. But I dont think drought, famine, crime, or riots will be the major topic, jobs, economy, and inflation do seem reasonable arguments for major topics.

In the end though, when more people think inequality is a issue then the others....its going to become a political talking point.

And Parrot talk? Please. Is that the new "sheeple" quote to avoid a topic?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:06 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,939,255 times
Quote:

Personally, I think it would be a step in the right direction if it was even considered period.

Quote:
It’s no use pretending that what has obviously happened has not in fact happened. The upper 1 percent of Americans are now taking in nearly a quarter of the nation’s income every year. In terms of wealth rather than income, the top 1 percent control 40 percent. Their lot in life has improved considerably. Twenty-five years ago, the corresponding figures were 12 percent and 33 percent. One response might be to celebrate the ingenuity and drive that brought good fortune to these people, and to contend that a rising tide lifts all boats. That response would be misguided. ...
Apparently there is some use in pretending ...

Quote:
But one big part of the reason we have so much inequality is that the top 1 percent want it that way.
& what about this?

Quote:
... Some people look at income inequality and shrug their shoulders. So what if this person gains and that person loses? What matters, they argue, is not how the pie is divided but the size of the pie. That argument is fundamentally wrong. An economy in which most citizens are doing worse year after year—an economy like America’s—is not likely to do well over the long haul. There are several reasons for this. ...
Of the 1%, by the 1%, for the 1% | Vanity Fair

That last part (bolded) seems like basic common sense, doesn't it?

Old 10-20-2014, 07:20 PM

Please note, only the first quote is from me.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,385,739 times
Quote:

I would agree that inequality is a big threat, especially when we consider that the region around Washington DC is not the richest in the nation:
Six of U.S.'s top richest neighborhoods are in D.C. area - WTOP.com

These are virtually all tax-derived fortunes. Thus unlike in the past when the pie was getting bigger, but just with the growth being divvied up 'inequitably' so to speak, now we are actively taking from the working poor and middle class, and handing out to the rich. And BTW DC had already become a boomtown under W Bush. It only metastasized under the present admin.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I would agree that inequality is a big threat, especially when we consider that the region around Washington DC is not the richest in the nation:
Six of U.S.'s top richest neighborhoods are in D.C. area - WTOP.com

These are virtually all tax-derived fortunes. Thus unlike in the past when the pie was getting bigger, but just with the growth being divvied up 'inequitably' so to speak, now we are actively taking from the working poor and middle class, and handing out to the rich. And BTW DC had already become a boomtown under W Bush. It only metastasized under the present admin.
Thats exactly the issue that will drive this to a political topic, if the pie was getting bigger, and people were sharing in that expansion-even if in a unequal fashion...this would not be an issue.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:21 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,774,939 times
Quote:

It does exist. It does not matter. It will not change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies