Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:08 PM

26,855 posts, read 15,085,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Not disagreeing. Just all too often when this occurs one side or the other tries to make it sound like its just the other side doing this. nope.

Bad on both sides of course.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:11 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,868,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
When its a Democrat, Republicans seem to act like no Republican has ever been brought up on corruption charges.
Link?

Old 10-20-2014, 08:14 PM

26,855 posts, read 15,085,917 times
I don't see anyone coming to his defense or pointing fingers here to deflect.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:24 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,291,001 times
Over the years there has been corruption on both sides of the aisle. Illinois is the perfect example with both D and R governors having gone to the greybar hotel. Who are these people in denial of that fact? I don't know of any.

The thing is that the Democratic party, as the party of big government, simply has more opportunity for corruption. To the extent that the GOP supports corporatism, there are plenty of opportunities for them too. The solution is to boot out the corporatist Republicans.

All that said, any indictments against a political figure handed down on Oct 20th are immediately suspect. A wait and see approach is a good idea here.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:32 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,384,516 times
Quote:
When its a Democrat, Republicans seem to act like no Republican has ever been brought up on corruption charges.

Never seen that. They were axed immediately and prosecuted to the highest degree. Just like this guy.
Hang the guy when the verdict comes in.

After all. It is a republican prosecutor, bringing the indictments.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:38 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,035,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
These are the people (our political types) that sorely need a course in ethics and a yearly refresher. Some will take it in and then there's that "other" personal characteristic - the "I'm better and/or smarter than everyone else" . That throwing the book at them with fines and/or real jail time (no Club Med) is the only thing one can do.
Exactly make a deal with La. and send their asses to pick cotton at Angola for 20 years.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:25 PM

29,429 posts, read 16,347,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Over the years there has been corruption on both sides of the aisle. Illinois is the perfect example with both D and R governors having gone to the greybar hotel. Who are these people in denial of that fact? I don't know of any.

The thing is that the Democratic party, as the party of big government, simply has more opportunity for corruption. To the extent that the GOP supports corporatism, there are plenty of opportunities for them too. The solution is to boot out the corporatist Republicans.

All that said, any indictments against a political figure handed down on Oct 20th are immediately suspect. A wait and see approach is a good idea here.
The investigation, which i posted in the link, has been going on for about 5 years.Many of these charges stem from the 2010 Alabama elections and the money changing hands before it.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:28 PM

29,429 posts, read 16,347,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

How so ? Republicans have more members in congress and control more total positions within the state legislatures.

Also being for or against big government( which is an opinion i might add), has nothing to do with opportunity.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:09 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,291,001 times
Quote:
The investigation, which i posted in the link, has been going on for about 5 years.Many of these charges stem from the 2010 Alabama elections and the money changing hands before it.
Any explanation as to why the indictment comes just before the Nov elections? Wouldn't it be a no-brainer to wait until after the election? We all know that politically motivated indictments are one of the oldest tricks in the book. If I'm a righteous prosecutor I'm going to bend over backwards to avoid even the appearance of political motive, and this timing does just the opposite.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:14 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,383,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Shrug. Seem about right. I figure half of all politicians aren't honest.
Neither is the other half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies