Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:08 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,765,914 times

Advertisements

I love pissing off my ******* friends and family.

Problem is most average *******s can't handle attacks or criticism about their world view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 12:08 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,490,256 times
POTC is the epitome of anti-social media.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:09 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,182,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Ending a relationship on Facebook or other social media because of politics is not the same as ending a friendship in real life. Not wanting to be subjected to daily political posts you disagree with doesn't show intolerance.

You befriend total strangers on Facebook?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:15 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,003,920 times
C-D conservatives know this all too well. I've been 'muted' by a few liberal friends online but my conservative friends are more likely to engage in conversation with someone they don't agree with. Imagine that.

Liberals more intolerant online than conservatives

Liberals are much more likely to unfriend, block or hide those who disagree than conservatives

Old 10-21-2014, 12:19 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,876,711 times
It would be hard for me to be friends or stay friends with a conservative because I wouldn't be able to talk freely about my personal life without them judging me or telling me I"m going to hell because I'm not in a traditional relationship. If I have to avoid talking about my life with my boyfriend than what use would I have for that friend. I actually enjoy talking politics with my friends so having friends that are somewhat on the same side with me makes conversation easier and friendlier. Talking politics with a conservative would probably be uncomfortable and I'd most likely avoid any topics that could steer in that area. Which would lead us to have little to talk about. I would certainly unfriend a conservative that was posting hateful things that I certainly don't want to read on my newsfeed but I'd do the same to a liberal friend posting too many political rants. It just seems the conservatives post more things I find offensive like rants about the homosexual agenda. That will immediately get you unfriended.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:40 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,490,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
C-D conservatives know this all too well. I've been 'muted' by a few liberal friends online but my conservative friends are more likely to engage in conversation with someone they don't agree with. Imagine that.
I got blocked by one of your conservative friends yesterday. I am verklempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn
Anyone who can so blatantly misconstrue their comments goes to my*ignore*list. Bye bye.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:46 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,612,040 times
Defriending people is easier than explaining to my minority friends why my name keeps cropping up in racist Facebook screeds. I imagine the sort of defriending mentioned in the article has more to do with online hate speech than, say, disagrements about the optimal marginal tax rate or EPA regulations.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:09 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,475,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The social media world tends to be more liberal and liberals can afford to be more selective in choosing online friends. Conservatives don't have as many online friends and can't be as picky.

And you actually believe this..Wow..just wow..

Old 10-21-2014, 01:14 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,731,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Political Polarization & Media Habits | Pew Research Center's Journalism Project

FTA:By contrast, those with consistently liberal views:
Are more likely than those in other ideological groups to block or “defriend” someone on a social network – as well as to end a personal friendship – because of politics.

One reason I don't talk politics with my liberal friends and coworkers.
I am not big into Facebook, but I can tell you that although I have many friends from both sides of the isle (mostly conservative), it is only the conservative ones who flood Facebook with political spam and propaganda. I have not defriended anyone for it, but it is quite annoying. When "W" was in the WH I do remember the liberal ones post anti-Bush cartoons and such humor, but no propaganda.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:38 PM

5,735 posts, read 3,262,133 times
My Aunt, who is in her 60s, lesbian and extremely liberal blocked me over a year ago.
Not heard from her since. No Christmas cards, nothing. Not even a hello to my 7 year old daughter.
I really believe people who are liberal tend to be very immature from my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Political Polarization & Media Habits | Pew Research Center's Journalism Project

FTA:By contrast, those with consistently liberal views:
Are more likely than those in other ideological groups to block or “defriend” someone on a social network – as well as to end a personal friendship – because of politics.

One reason I don't talk politics with my liberal friends and coworkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies