Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 01:08 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradsoon View Post
Should we ban non-essential retail stores from being open on major family holidays (Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving) ? Some New England states do ban that already, but should it be extended throughout the nation? This will make most people happy.

Obviously pharmacies and gas station mini-mart stores would be exempt.

Since recent years, some larger stores and now even some malls starts to open late afternoon/early evening on Thanksgiving Day, and obviously that has caused millions of retail workers' upset and petitions created all the time to stop that so retail workers' could spend the whole day with their families.
Uh; what about those of us who WORK 6 days a week and are only off on Sunday? Too; what about people who are on the road during those holidays and need to buy something?

2,776 posts, read 3,981,359 times
Quote:
Should we ban non-essential retail stores from being open on major family holidays (Easter, Christmas, Thanksgiving) ? Some New England states do ban that already, but should it be extended throughout the nation? This will make most people happy.

Since recent years, some larger stores and now even some malls starts to open late afternoon/early evening on Thanksgiving Day, and obviously that has caused millions of retail workers' upset and petitions created all the time to stop that so retail workers' could spend the whole day with their families.
NO NO NO.. it is a ridiculous notion that otherwise law-abiding business owners should be told when they can or cannot make money! If there is no demand to be open, and no one willing to work, the business owners will get the message loud and clear. Keep the government out of their affairs, don't try to involve it more??! Look as a business owner I've made this error in judgement and learned from it after just one year when my store had zero business on a holiday. I didn't know what to expect being a new business owner of a place that families visit together for entertainment and thought there would be a very good chance they would drive out to my place and spend quality time together there... well I learned. I'm no longer going to be open on particular holidays.

On the other hand I live in a backwards state that has laws regarding when you can sell alcohol... and it's on the Law Books that you cannot sell alcohol on Sundays. No matter where and how the pros and cons of this Law have been debated, I've never seen a good argument for why this law is relevant today. The law serves no one and is a big waste of time and on many occasions in my own household it has been Sunday when we are having a big family get together and when alcohol was wanted, no one could get it. Now, today, I'm not a drinker at all, but that is completely irrelevant to the argument as I believe religion/religious reasons for laws need to be eliminated (such as the ones the law in this state were based upon). This country was not founded on Christian Principles, it was founded specifically upon the idea of separation of Church and Government (there's so much hard evidence of this already covered it is ridiculous).

If you want to stay home and not work on particular days of the year, then do that. If you want to work, then do that. Business owners should have that choice. Look, I have many jewish friends who take off from work and close down their own businesses when they have a holiday they are celebrating; likewise my hindu and sikh friends do the same. Written Laws cannot accommodate everyone's holidays, so legislators need to stop trying and just rescind existing laws based upon particular religions and move forward making laws that benefit everyone, with efficiency.

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
This is none of the government's business. None.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:12 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
We should also ban non-essential websites like C-D on Sundays, and bank websites should keep banking hours. Makes as much sense as limiting store hours.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:17 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Many workers CHOOSE to work on holidays
That's true. When I was working a 2nd job at a record store in my early 20s, I always volunteered to work holidays. One year, the same time as I was at the record store, I volunteered to come into my 1st job on Thanksgiving to do inventory - unpaid. It's actions such as that which earned me the position of store manager, even though I was one of the newest hires there.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
How about a mandatory paid holiday off, called "statutory" holiday in some countries?
Why should an employer be legally obligated to pay for work that wasn't performed?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 PM

Wouldn't forcing a business to close on Christmas be the same as imposing a state religion, in violation of the 1st Amendment?

Old 10-21-2014, 01:25 PM

19,826 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Why should an employer be legally obligated to pay for work that wasn't performed?
Because everything should be free!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:

Any municipality could do so.

Given stores open and people come suggests a heck of a lot of people have no issue with being open. Those who do can stay home.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:26 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
No, if a retailer wants to have their privately owned business open on a major holiday, then by all means they should have that right. If you want to respect Christmas more, then don't shop. Don't try and tell 300 million other people what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies