Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 09:04 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
The causes of inflation are well understood. The fact remains: gas is cheaper today per hour of human labor than it was in the 60's.
Link?

Not saying you're wrong, but according to my memory banks gas was around 30 cents/gal say around 1969. Suppose that mpg has tripled since then (generous, I think). So it becomes the equivalent of 90 cents/gal. A good middle class job back then was about $20K, or 10/hr. Today it is about $50K, or $25/hr. So today's gas price would have to be below .90*2.5, or $2.25/gal to make your statement true. I have a recent receipt right here on my desk, and the price reads $3.65/gal. Note that the gas tax here is one of the highest in the nation, but not enough to make up a $1.40 difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 09:32 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Link?

Not saying you're wrong, but according to my memory banks gas was around 30 cents/gal say around 1969. Suppose that mpg has tripled since then (generous, I think). So it becomes the equivalent of 90 cents/gal. A good middle class job back then was about $20K, or 10/hr. Today it is about $50K, or $25/hr. So today's gas price would have to be below .90*2.5, or $2.25/gal to make your statement true. I have a recent receipt right here on my desk, and the price reads $3.65/gal. Note that the gas tax here is one of the highest in the nation, but not enough to make up a $1.40 difference.

In California, we pay $0.73 gallon in taxes - highest in the nation. In 1969 it was 5 cents combined. There isn't much difference when you use the wholesale price of gasoline net of state and federal taxes and adjusted for inflation. It's cheaper today.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:38 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
According to the US census folks the numbers in 1969 and 2013 are $7200 and $46450, or a factor of 6.4. It's cheaper.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:20 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,276,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
When our social services support your business by funding your employees I disagree.
Well, lets look at something...

Let's take an agricultural laborer, since they produce things we all kind of understand, and give him an hourly rate of $16 (making figures easier). During the course of raising say peaches, each peach will use say about 15 man minutes of total labor from preparations, to irrigation, to fertilizing, to pest control, to harvesting and packing to getting it to the actual store.

Would you pay $4 for one peach?

That's just wage costs, it doesn't include the price of fertilizer, fuel, pesticides, vehicle maintenance, etc. Let's call that a whole $1.

Would you pay $5 for one Georgia peach with the associated costs? (and a standard peach, not some organic boutique peach that comes gift wrapped in it's own minibasket)

Currently the USDA is reporting the average advertized store price is $1.69/pound and they're Californian not Georgia.

Our social services (and other government subsidies) are supporting our businesses who pay minimum wage, who can then charge lower prices for the consumer who will not pay higher prices to support higher wages and therefore eliminate the corporate or personal welfare aspect. You are also benefiting from social services, you realize this? Yes?

It's an Ouroboros, the snake (consumer) eats it's own tail, and if you can't see that, there is no hope. However when money is paid into social services, all of it does not come out, because there's administration and wages for people who in any private industry might be $1-$2 per hour above minimum, but because they're federal employee's they're pulling in 6 figure salaries plus benefits, and you know why? Because you do not want to pay the fair price for a US grown peach, you don't mind getting another 2-3% tax hike, but damn if you'd pay for peaches at around $5 each.

Quote:
When we have a failure to grow wages at all, and even lower the median all the while our average is going up.....I think we had better take a serious look at it. I dont know that I have any fair solution. But I do know we need a solution, a minimum wage of reasonable value is one of them....others are more complex and far ranging.
You can have a reasonable minimum wage, you just need to increase the consumer pricing to cover it.

That is an issue however, because US goods have to compete with imports, when Raúl in Brazil is peach picking he's making 10 Reals per hour (assuming 40 hours), which is $4 give or take (and he's not a day laborer, but a fully hired worker) or 25% of a $16/hour minimum wage, and $3.25 less than current US Federal Minimum wage. So if you had US peaches as $5/peach or Brazilian peaches at $1.75 per pound, what are people going to buy?

Old 10-23-2014, 04:25 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Well, lets look at something...

Let's take an agricultural laborer, since they produce things we all kind of understand, and give him an hourly rate of $16 (making figures easier). During the course of raising say peaches, each peach will use say about 15 man minutes of total labor from preparations, to irrigation, to fertilizing, to pest control, to harvesting and packing to getting it to the actual store.

Would you pay $4 for one peach?

That's just wage costs, it doesn't include the price of fertilizer, fuel, pesticides, vehicle maintenance, etc. Let's call that a whole $1.

Would you pay $5 for one Georgia peach with the associated costs? (and a standard peach, not some organic boutique peach that comes gift wrapped in it's own minibasket)

Currently the USDA is reporting the average advertized store price is $1.69/pound and they're Californian not Georgia.

Our social services (and other government subsidies) are supporting our businesses who pay minimum wage, who can then charge lower prices for the consumer who will not pay higher prices to support higher wages and therefore eliminate the corporate or personal welfare aspect. You are also benefiting from social services, you realize this? Yes?

It's an Ouroboros, the snake (consumer) eats it's own tail, and if you can't see that, there is no hope. However when money is paid into social services, all of it does not come out, because there's administration and wages for people who in any private industry might be $1-$2 per hour above minimum, but because they're federal employee's they're pulling in 6 figure salaries plus benefits, and you know why? Because you do not want to pay the fair price for a US grown peach, you don't mind getting another 2-3% tax hike, but damn if you'd pay for peaches at around $5 each.

You can have a reasonable minimum wage, you just need to increase the consumer pricing to cover it.

That is an issue however, because US goods have to compete with imports, when Raúl in Brazil is peach picking he's making 10 Reals per hour (assuming 40 hours), which is $4 give or take (and he's not a day laborer, but a fully hired worker) or 25% of a $16/hour minimum wage, and $3.25 less than current US Federal Minimum wage. So if you had US peaches as $5/peach or Brazilian peaches at $1.75 per pound, what are people going to buy?
Sorry but subsidizing a business in order to make peaches cheaper is not exactly a good free market choice. You're defending a bad idea.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:10 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well the hypocrites fighting for $20/hour are only offering $13/hour for an employee.
Explaining string theory to a stick is roughly as fruitful as pointing out hypocrisy to a leftist. Neither is capable of understanding the subject matter.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Sorry but subsidizing a business in order to make peaches cheaper is not exactly a good free market choice. You're defending a bad idea.
Not defending at all.

We are global now like it or not.
Pay your pickers $15/hour and see what happens.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
For $13/hr I would barely show up let alone sober. Coolie wages = coolie work.

Obviously the party leaders are hypocrites or they would be working for free or $10/hr

Old 10-23-2014, 07:59 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Not defending at all.

We are global now like it or not.
Pay your pickers $15/hour and see what happens.
This.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
I wonder what the apologists for nationless pirate corporations like McDonald's have to say about this conundrum.

If In-N-Out Can Pay (a Lot) More Than Minimum Wage, Why Can't McDonald's?

"McDonald's reported its worst profit and sales numbers in a decade on Tuesday, suffering losses in EVERY major segment of business. By contrast IN-N-OUT Burger, which pays workers $10-14/hour plus health, dental, and 401(k) retirement benefits, continues to thrive and has been consistently ranked as the top fast food chain in The US by Consumer Reports."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies