Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 01:28 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
People actually shut down when they hear too much cussing. I know I wouldn't take this ad seriously.

I was watching a tv show the other night and the host, John Oliver, was doing a faux-frothing bit so hard I changed channels. Yelling and swearing aren't talent, people!
Gordon Ramsay might disagree there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 04:04 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
These kids are actors. Women deserve their moments of righteous outrage at times in our patriarchal society.

Shame on those saying things in this thread like wage gap is not a problem because other cultures kill their women!

Old 10-24-2014, 04:52 AM

2,085 posts, read 2,141,237 times
I think people were saying that a wage gap isnt a problem period....because it doesnt truly exist...whether other women are killed within their religion or not...it appears the wage gap myth can be easily dismantled with an ounce of realistic analysis.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:33 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
People actually shut down when they hear too much cussing. I know I wouldn't take this ad seriously.

I was watching a tv show the other night and the host, John Oliver, was doing a faux-frothing bit so hard I changed channels. Yelling and swearing aren't talent, people!
Not everyone acts like a 5 year old with virgin ears and say "oooooh" whenever they hear someone swearing.

And you must not know John Oliver...

Old 10-24-2014, 08:40 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,036,704 times
I could barely get through 20 seconds of this. Be it an adult or even a kid, a lot of people seem to find it funny, cute, entertaining when people start dropping curse words every where. Hell, some comedians have no act unless they are filthy. Jon Lebowitz...ever hear his audience. They're like a bunch of 12 year old girls/boys when he drops some curse words. Same with Bill Maher. I dont get it. Most of us all curse from time to time. I do it when Im really, really angry or when Im driving in Connecticut or NYC, and its usually in private anyways. But it is so over done in society today. It turns me off to hear it a bunch, yet it seems to turn many others on. I dont get the fascination or whats so great and funny about it. And then to use kids to do it is ten times worse. We should be teaching them that you shouldn't have to use four letter words to make a point or get attention.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:03 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
Well, the group got their cheap pop - they must watch a lot of WWE!

It'll be long forgotten soon....

Old 10-24-2014, 09:05 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
These kids are actors. Women deserve their moments of righteous outrage at times in our patriarchal society.

Shame on those saying things in this thread like wage gap is not a problem because other cultures kill their women!
This is one issue it wasn't women stepping forward.......more like future Stepford wives on the other side of the track.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Not everyone acts like a 5 year old with virgin ears and say "oooooh" whenever they hear someone swearing.

And you must not know John Oliver...
Swear words have little meaning......shows with a lot of swear words are for those who don't need much stimulation or brain challenge.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:08 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

No - it's the angst and faux outrage these groups do a easy safe subjects - but turn a blind eye to girls getting their genitals mutilated because they're girls.

So you think "78 cents to the dollar" and genital mutilation have equal standing.....

Talk to a vet of the Afghan theater sometime if you think you can handle their stark reality.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:14 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,094,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
That is a complete and utter cop out. There are muslim women living in the United States who are victims of the oppression of their culture daily. Even beyond that.. why should the feminist movement limit itself to our borders when there is so much oppression around the world that is so much worse than what any modern American woman can fathom?

Regardless, I used that to make a larger point. The video made a false analogy when it said essentially "who cares if little kids say f**k, when there are worse things in the world". That type of logic is ridiculous.

Yeah, violence on TV and in video games is accepted while cursing isn't. That doesn't mean that one problem gets negated because there are worse problems.
How was that a cop out? The Muslim world, despite the medias ever to helpful representation of it, is a lot more than just Saudi Arabia and the Middle East. Yeah, currently Islam is the most oppressive religion, but really, if you read the Bible, we could be dressing and treating our women just like they do; they being a certain group. As I said, Indonesia is a very different world than Saudi Arabia and to dismiss that as a cop out is absolutely ridiculous.

The video wasn't trying to say who cares who curses. That wasn't the main point (though if it was, plenty here found that more offensive than anything else). They did it to draw attention.

I do care about how Saudi women are treated. It's wrong. My saying 'The Muslim World' is too general a term does not mean I don't consider the problems in places like Saudi Arabia to be less important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
No it doesn't. It's a horrible and serious issue whether the victim is male or female and certainly isn't something that should be lumped together with the wage gap and addressed by having a bunch of children swear and act obnoxious to get attention. Just because a serious and sober issue is mentioned does not automatically lend gravitas to the production.

It really seems to be a pointless exercise to tally up which gender is the victim of which crime more often. How about we punish criminals and support victims no matter who they are?

Anyway, we'll have to agree to disagree, I think the video was worthless and only contributes to the laziness and coarsening of our culture and as such that's about the extent of the time I intend to spend on it.
Looking at the demographic of who is a victim of a crime is an important part in solving it. If we can understand why more women get raped, we can find ways to stop rape from happening. This is true of literally every crime. To not look at who is having what happen to them is about as helpful as ignoring the crime all together. Punishing criminals and supporting victims is important but it does nothing to address the greater problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies