Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2014, 06:54 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,167,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
IQ is not an important factor. Remember it's just a test score. I once had a job transporting young men to trade school. They were high school drops outs and probably couldn't pass any kind test or for that matter read real well. Despite their poor performance on a test, they can build a house. All unemployed people black or white are not looking for jobs as some ones boss or a job wearing a pocket protector. What kind of jobs are getting moved to China? The unemployment problem would go a way if it were indeed a problem that could be solved by calling it a social problem. Every one can be motivated to work but every one is not going to respond to a carrot.
Your anecdote doesn't prove a thing. IQ is a test with strong predictive value, especially when looking at large numbers of people. Persons with IQs of 85 don't work in the STEM fields or other cognitively demanding jobs. The fact that a large number of jobs are out of reach for many Blacks would definitely affect the Black unemployment rate. To think otherwise is to ignore reality.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:00 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Your anecdote doesn't prove a thing. IQ is a test with strong predictive value, especially when looking at large numbers of people. Persons with IQs of 85 don't work in the STEM fields or other cognitively demanding jobs. The fact that a large number of jobs are out of reach for many Blacks would definitely affect the Black unemployment rate. To think otherwise is to ignore reality.
IQ tests require language and math skills, and they rely on otherwise taught things in our educational system.

They aren't reliable indicators of one's innate abilities when given to people who lack said education and associated skills.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
You can find many European nations where values of marriage,family and personal responsibility have basically weakened, and yet, those nations have good economies.
True. I was just addressing the false narrative that the "liberal agenda" is the cause of issues that face Black Americans.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
IQ tests require language and math skills, and they rely on otherwise taught things in our educational system.

They aren't reliable indicators of one's innate abilities when given to people who lack said education and associated skills.
That's false. In the past that may have been the case, but IQ tests today, like the Raven's progressive matrix, rely mainly on pattern recognition. They don't test language and math skills.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,182,754 times
Black, White, Yellow or Brown successful people have a few things in common.
1. Forward thinking, Long term planners.
2. Look for solutions to overcome, not reasons why they won't succeed.
3.Disciplined lifestyles.
We have seen people who win millions become poppers. Pro Athletes bankrupt after multi-million dollar contracts. Entertainers living day to day after earning millions.
Some people believe what they are told. You can't succeed, it's impossible, etc.
I don't know why blacks have higher unemployment. I do know this. Successful people seek out other successful people, learn and adapt from what they see works.
Talking to one black person and I stress 1. Every conversation with him is that it isn't fair. Whites have all the advantages. College educated and unemployed living with a roommate who is white, who feeds him and houses him. He refuses to accept that maybe, just maybe his actions resulted in his current woes. Kicked out of the air force because he questioned every order and refused to adapt. He always knew better than his senior enlisted. Lost his scholarship due to poor grades. Used his credit card to buy video games instead of books. Buys a new top of the line smartphone when he couldn't even afford to pay his credit card bills. Challenges the police every chance he gets. He is like a son to me and I can't help him. He absolutely refuses to learn. That is 1 person who also happens to be black. What a waste of a great mind.
I have introduced him to a co-worker of mine who is also black. Guess what. My co-worker is an uncle Tom ashamed of his race because he refuses make excuses, talk like he's black or take every opportunity to debate with whites. Instead he chooses to master the system and move ahead. Band 3 manager after working for a fortune 500 company, starting as a Tech at the bottom, but not good enough to be a role model.
I'm sad for the young man. He has bought into the idea that no real black men (his words) can succeed.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:25 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,361,799 times
NBA Hall of Famer Charles Barkley spoke candidly about the problems facing the black community when appearing on a Philadelphia radio station, accusing “unintelligent,” “brainwashed” African-Americans of keeping successful ones down.

While appearing on “Afternoons with Anthony Gargano and Rob Ellis,” Barkley was asked about a rumor that Seattle Seahawks QB Russell Wilson was getting criticism from his black teammates for not being, quote, “black enough.”

Barkley went on a long monologue on the subject: ”Unfortunately, as I tell my white friends, we as black people, we’re never going to be successful, not because of you white people, but because of other black people. When you’re black, you have to deal with so much crap in your life from other black people. It’s a dirty, dark secret; I’m glad it’s coming out.”

Barkley said that young black men who do well in school are accused of “acting white” by their peers. “One of the reasons we’re never going to be successful as a whole, because of other black people. And for some reason we are brainwashed to think, if you’re not a thug or an idiot, you’re not black enough. If you go to school, make good grades, speak intelligent, and don’t break the law, you’re not a good black person. And it’s a dirty, dark secret.”

“There are a lot of black people who are unintelligent, who don’t have success,” he continued. “It’s best to knock a successful black person down because they’re intelligent, they speak well, they do well in school, and they’re successful…”

“We’re the only ethnic group who say, ‘Hey, if you go to jail, it gives you street cred.’ It’s just typical BS that goes on when you’re black, man.”

[h/t Bias Breakdown]

Follow Alex Griswold on Twitter

Tags: Charles Barkley, Russell Wilson
55211152 TOP

drudgereport

Old 10-25-2014, 08:36 PM

12,920 posts, read 13,611,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
"Predictive value" "indicator" are weasel words they still don't mean "prove" how smart a person is.You are ignoring everything written about IQ test except that which backs up your out dated argument.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
"Predictive value" "indicator" are weasel words they still don't mean "prove" how smart a person is.You are ignoring everything written about IQ test except that which backs up your out dated argument.
You don't know much about IQ tests. You discount them because you don't like the implications of them. IQ tests are not a measure of intelligence. They show strengths or weaknesses in specific cognitive tasks relative to other test takers. And they do have predictive value. That's a fact, whether you like it or not.

Old 10-26-2014, 12:26 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,898,102 times
We have to keep in mind social class and how that factors into things.

Old 10-26-2014, 02:38 AM

131 posts, read 182,281 times
This goes on in the hiring managers mind:

Almost every black person I have worked with who comes from a lower class is lazy. I am not going to risk hiring them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.