Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 07:38 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,838,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Not genetic, cultural. Ghetto people see intelligent kids among them as "acting white".

How can you remotely believe that race isn't relevant?
Not "ghetto people". DUMB people. Uneducated people. And bigots.

It's not just those who live in the 'hoods' of America that have the view of "acting white" as proper English and so on...

Old 10-23-2014, 08:32 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,652,375 times
The gap in high school grads is able to be partially explained by the quality of the HS diploma.

I went to a rural high school in upstate NY. It wasn't considered to be particularly good - only a few sections of AP, lots of farm kids, we sent few to study overseas. But you had to pass those Regents exams, and even the average kids could handle algebra and write a cohesive paper. I tested out of freshman English in college via my AP exam. Compare that to a graduate of Philadelphia School District. They have a diploma but can't handle math beyond arithmetic, and write at a 4th grade level! I have a dozen that work for me, and I see their abilities intimately.

Surburban and northern rural public schools vs urban and southern rural schools are producing drastically different products.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:46 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,162,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Two job applicants, both equally qualified: one black, one white.

Which one do you hire?

You hire the one that will get along with the rest of the team. That is determined at the interview, not what is on their resume. Just like it has always been.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
The gap in high school grads is able to be partially explained by the quality of the HS diploma.

I went to a rural high school in upstate NY. It wasn't considered to be particularly good - only a few sections of AP, lots of farm kids, we sent few to study overseas. But you had to pass those Regents exams, and even the average kids could handle algebra and write a cohesive paper. I tested out of freshman English in college via my AP exam. Compare that to a graduate of Philadelphia School District. They have a diploma but can't handle math beyond arithmetic, and write at a 4th grade level! I have a dozen that work for me, and I see their abilities intimately.

Surburban and northern rural public schools vs urban and southern rural schools are producing drastically different products.
Here in the welfare department, the average HS diploma bearer is reading and doing math at 6th grade level.
You cant get the stats anymore bek NAACP filed a law suit for the administration of the CASAS exam, a basic reading and math test administered by the HHS.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,507,407 times
Why? Because blacks make up a larger chunk of poverty
via race and are more disenfranchised.

That explains the 2x more likely to not have a job
mumbo jumbo.

Institutional racism too I guess(making sure good
jobs aren't accessible to poor black neighborhoods)

Old 10-23-2014, 11:21 AM

7,515 posts, read 11,328,316 times
How can it be determined how much job discrimination is playing in this vs other factors?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:05 PM

12,920 posts, read 13,611,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
How can it be determined how much job discrimination is playing in this vs other factors?
I don't think you can, the evidence might be anecdotal and only pertain to certain; jobs or professions, places, resume’s and other subjective factors. I do think you could get valuable data from places, professions, and specific resumes where blacks are closing the gap. I would ask where are black people closing the gap?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:06 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,334,812 times
the black community needs to start looking at themselves for answers. We Asians are glad to be here.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:27 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
Quote:
you are squeezing a dry cow in a drought.
you might consider self improvement instead of litigation.
not that i am knocking an attack on those that seem to stand in our way, i have done it.
but when i become a one trick pony and dont even attempt to improve the product, that is an issue.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 10-23-2014 at 01:11 PM..

Old 10-23-2014, 12:35 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,284,397 times
Quote:
Easy look at education and stop believing that black Americans are collectively flawed race.

If you look at education and compare the unemployment rates of similarly educated black Americans to white people, the across the board huge disparities are very indicative of racial discrimination and white privilege.

Education is supposed to be the great equalizer, but the reality is less educated white people have far lower rates of unemployment then much better educated black Americans.

The reality is staring honest non racist people in the face.

Again black Americans with 4yr and advanced degrees have an unemployment rate of 5.7%. White high school grads with some college have an unemployment rate of 6.1%.

Understand we are taking the most educated black population which includes people with masters, JD degrees and phd's and comparing them with white people with just high school diplomas and some college, and they are running neck and neck when it comes to unemploymentm

There simply is no reason why black Americans with two yr degrees(8.5%) should have a closer unemployment rate to white high school drop outs(9.7%), then to white high school grads with some college(6.1%) and white high school grads with no college(6.6%), both of which have much lower rates of unemployment than much more educated black Americans.

Or I guess one could do mental racist gymnastics and figure out how Even highly educated black Americans have some black racial flaw that causes them to collectively have much higher rates of unemployment than less educated white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.