Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times

Advertisements

I'll try to keep it non-partisan, and I hope you will too, but it seems to me the answer to most political "either/or" questions is "both".

Is Political Correctness helping or hurting us? Both. (we are more aware, but nobody can think for themselves).

Why is black unemployment double whites? (is it racism or laziness?) Both, the black community is less motivated, and they also have challenges we don't).

Should we take a harder line with our enemies, or engage with them? Both. We need to be strong, but also need to keep dialogue going.

I had a lot more examples, but I found myself debating myself. My point is that we are so divisive. The truth about almost ANY issue that gets discussed here is that both sides have some good points, that neither side works in the extreme, in isolation, and that we need to figure out how to compromise again, because that art seems lost.

Do you agree, or disagree? (Would be great if people could respond with ways that "both" works, rather than quickly going to bash how bad one side or the other is, or how they are always wrong...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 08:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I'll try to keep it non-partisan, and I hope you will too, but it seems to me the answer to most political "either/or" questions is "both".

Is Political Correctness helping or hurting us? Both. (we are more aware, but nobody can think for themselves).

Why is black unemployment double whites? (is it racism or laziness?) Both, the black community is less motivated, and they also have challenges we don't).

Should we take a harder line with our enemies, or engage with them? Both. We need to be strong, but also need to keep dialogue going.

I had a lot more examples, but I found myself debating myself. My point is that we are so divisive. The truth about almost ANY issue that gets discussed here is that both sides have some good points, that neither side works in the extreme, in isolation, and that we need to figure out how to compromise again, because that art seems lost.

Do you agree, or disagree? (Would be great if people could respond with ways that "both" works, rather than quickly going to bash how bad one side or the other is, or how they are always wrong...)
Yep.....everything has to be in black or, white.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:23 AM

671 posts, read 890,368 times
You shoe away a fly several times and when it lands that final time the annoyance is splattered...That's our nature.
Everything is resolved for good by the extreme,,just like the fly. Compromise never settled anything in the long run.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:32 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:

I'm conservative and the left says I believe many things that I didn't know I believe. I learn something new about myself all the time lol.

As for your 'nonpartisan' comment about the black community, geeze, they really don't like the comments but don't have no problem spewing nonsense about whites out of their mouths.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The tea party (oh the attacks that the left threw out)

I'm conservative and the left tells their following that I believe many things that I didn't know I believe. I learn something new about myself all the time lol.
We feel the same about what you say of us, the difference is, what is said about you (specifically YOU) is backed up by what you have already posted on this site.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
We feel the same about what you say of us, the difference is, what is said about you (specifically YOU) is backed up by what you have already posted on this site.
In reaction to what you say and do.

Get a voter ID <--- oh that's racist!
I want to keep more of the money I work hard to earn <--- oh that's racist!
Walk on the sidewalk <--- freak out, rob and loot stores.. that's racist
You people <---- bounce off walls, that's racist
Other common words <--- freakout more.. that's racist

When we have a president that tells us that you can't do the basics like getting a voter ID then what else should we believe.

Who want's to be bothered with people who either freak at the simplest things or can't seem to do anything without forcing government to take from others. Like a bunch of ball babies running to government daddy. Is it all, no, but those people you tear to pieces.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
It's just as hard for whites. The way you go at it, onlookers would think all whites have a silver spoon in their mouths. And I am not asking for any special legislation because of my skin color like you.

And then there is Obama, the biggest farce in our history. To hell with his character, you voted for him because he's black. Let him get away with lies, scams and hurting this country, why, because he's black. thats yet another example of your inability to think past skin color. Do you really think people should bend over backwards because of skin color?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:50 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
In reaction to what you say and do.

Get a voter ID <--- oh that's racist!
I want to keep more of the money I work hard to earn <--- oh that's racist!
Walk on the sidewalk <--- freak out, rob and loot stores.. that's racist
You people <---- bounce off walls, that's racist
Other common words <--- freakout more.. that's racist

When we have a president that tells us that you can't do the basics like getting a voter ID then what else should we believe.

Who want's to be bothered with people who either freak at the simplest things or can't seem to do anything without government help.
I knew some would be incapable of having an intelligent discussion, but I'll try to redirect anyway.

In the spirit of the original topic:

Voter ID: Both! yes, people should be required to show an ID, but to make that fair to all, AND compliant with the constitution, the ID has to be free, because there can be no cost to vote, and there has to be ways in place to make sure that people are not denied a right to vote because someone says they don't look like the picture on their ID. ("says", as in uses it as a suppression)

Keeping more money: Agreed, hard working people should not be penalized, and non-working people should not be rewarded. That being said, we should also not be giving handouts to corporations, or allowing them to avoid taxes. We should not have a scenario where growth in wealth is limited to a small percentage in an elite class. (and don't just focus on the part you hate, also focus on my first sentence.

Sidewalk: That doesn't even deserve a response.

My point is that most, if not all issues, have multiple angles, and one answer will not cure them. Ideologies from both sides need to balance to make things work.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:56 AM

716 posts, read 393,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAGeorge View Post
You shoe away a fly several times and when it lands that final time the annoyance is splattered...That's our nature.
Everything is resolved for good by the extreme,,just like the fly. Compromise never settled anything in the long run.
Compromise is the basis of governance in all countries except dictatorships.

And that would include the United States, of course that was until the Teabaggers took control of the Republican Party and turned it into a dirty word, equivalent to surrendering your principles.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I knew some would be incapable of having an intelligent discussion, but I'll try to redirect anyway.

In the spirit of the original topic:

Voter ID: Both! yes, people should be required to show an ID, but to make that fair to all, AND compliant with the constitution, the ID has to be free, because there can be no cost to vote, and there has to be ways in place to make sure that people are not denied a right to vote because someone says they don't look like the picture on their ID. ("says", as in uses it as a suppression)

Keeping more money: Agreed, hard working people should not be penalized, and non-working people should not be rewarded. That being said, we should also not be giving handouts to corporations, or allowing them to avoid taxes. We should not have a scenario where growth in wealth is limited to a small percentage in an elite class. (and don't just focus on the part you hate, also focus on my first sentence.

Sidewalk: That doesn't even deserve a response.

My point is that most, if not all issues, have multiple angles, and one answer will not cure them. Ideologies from both sides need to balance to make things work.
And there you go. Denied the right to vote? Are there people with batons standing at the doorway stopping them. If they can't get something as simple as a voter ID then they shouldn't be voting.

And you said nonpartisan LOL, next time, try to cloak your partisanship a little better. Your original post screamed liberalism and this post confirmed it lol.

The funny thing is you are guilty of exactly what you claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies