Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:27 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,318,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Sounds like they are trimming the non profitable after the big sales period.
Didn't realize they had over 1,000 K Marts still. There are very few in this area.
They have good tools and their Kenmore Brand is still one of the highest rated.

Sear currently has the far best tools they have ever had, they really upped the ante with some amazing quality innovative items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 05:39 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
I still like sears ,,,still think it was a mistake for them to buy the failing kmart

kmart is what is killing sears more than anything

Old 10-23-2014, 06:07 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I still like sears ,,,still think it was a mistake for them to buy the failing kmart

kmart is what is killing sears more than anything
KMart is the only reason Sears survived. Its real estate is very valuable, and IMO, like Alexander's, when both anachronistic brands die as retailers, the holding corp as a REIT of sorts will be more valuable than either chain ever was.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:20 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,549,838 times
I feel bad for folks loosing their jobs but this should surprise no one.

Craftsman tools aside, Sears and Kmart are like the stores that time forgot. Sears' customer base is literally dying off, and Kmart is outdone on every front by Walmart and Target.

Retail is a tough, tough business.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:34 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Probably more suited for investing but shouldn't we be shorting SHLD here?
Layoffs, closures.... and they're up ~3% afterhours to 37.
Sad to see 'em go but appears to be a slamdunk to the downside.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:08 PM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,709 times
You know who really hates these closures? Shopping malls.

The failure of these stores means there's a lot less to get shoppers in the door. It's a major cause of the rash of dying malls.

I honestly can't remember the last time I went in a Sears. One of my professors even shared a story about a month ago of his most recent experience at the company that makes you wonder how much longer they will last.

He needed a new lawn mower, so he looked at different models on Sears' website. He decided on which one he wanted to buy before going into the store. He brought a printout of the product page into the store, and told an associate he wanted to buy one, since he needed the mower and didn't want to wait for shipping. The online price was cheaper than the in-store price, and the associate would not honor the lower online price. He ultimately left and bought one somewhere else.

A lot of suppliers for the company have taken out insurance for shipments to Sears. Sears might be in real trouble since the insurance companies are limiting how much they will cover. If Sears can't buy inventory, they are doomed. Just ask Circuit City, the same thing basically happened to them, in combination with the economic crisis of 2008.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:58 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
Probably more suited for investing but shouldn't we be shorting SHLD here?
Layoffs, closures.... and they're up ~3% afterhours to 37.
Sad to see 'em go but appears to be a slamdunk to the downside.
Hardly. The stock should rise with this news. Costs will decrease; profits will rise.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Hardly. The stock should rise with this news. Costs will decrease; profits will rise.
We'll see. Market cap's down under $4 billion. Better places to put money, needs more volume for price action.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:37 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I did not mean for it to be demeaning... but realistic. People need to be working (or being productive) to support themselves, and to benefit the country.
I don't know that all people need to be working to be productive.

In terms of supporting themselves financially, yes it's very difficult without employment.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:02 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianator View Post
You know who really hates these closures? Shopping malls.

The failure of these stores means there's a lot less to get shoppers in the door. It's a major cause of the rash of dying malls.

I honestly can't remember the last time I went in a Sears. One of my professors even shared a story about a month ago of his most recent experience at the company that makes you wonder how much longer they will last.

He needed a new lawn mower, so he looked at different models on Sears' website. He decided on which one he wanted to buy before going into the store. He brought a printout of the product page into the store, and told an associate he wanted to buy one, since he needed the mower and didn't want to wait for shipping. The online price was cheaper than the in-store price, and the associate would not honor the lower online price. He ultimately left and bought one somewhere else.

A lot of suppliers for the company have taken out insurance for shipments to Sears. Sears might be in real trouble since the insurance companies are limiting how much they will cover. If Sears can't buy inventory, they are doomed. Just ask Circuit City, the same thing basically happened to them, in combination with the economic crisis of 2008.
that's true. sears is the anchor store for a many a shopping center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies