Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Way Does This Forum Lean... RIGHT or LEFT
Right 31 29.25%
Left 37 34.91%
Not Sure 7 6.60%
Middle of the Road 31 29.25%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 11:02 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,145,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
Wow. You actually wonder why we've sparred in the past when you make comments like this, or were you just being facetious?
Perhaps you should go back and look at the context in which I made that comment...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 11:38 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,159,747 times
(chuckling) This thread ended up, well, exactly like I figured it would. The right leaning factions claiming this board is liberal and the left leaning factions claiming it is right wing.

Ah the beauty of partisanship.

Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~ no truer words have been spoken~

Old 01-01-2008, 11:42 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,071,394 times
Geez, Topper, why be sensible and quote Schopenhauer, when we can all argue about it.

And flame a Moderator or two at the same time.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Geez, Topper, why be sensible and quote Schopenhauer, when we can all argue about it.

And flame a Moderator or two at the same time.
Well since all the mods are liberals, or was it conservatives, ah, can't remember so I flamed them all as I hate to seem discriminatory.

I have modded a few boards, posted on many, and for the most part I would say this board is reasonably balanced. If it leans more one way than another, I would suspect this is out of current trends as America cycles left and right depending upon the news and events of the day.

10 years ago, I would have said the needle was leaning left, 5 years ago it was leaning right, and now, it is swinging left again. (albeit within a few degrees)

Old 01-01-2008, 11:52 AM

Actually I wasn't thinking you were flame throwing, but if you want to own it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well since all the mods are liberals, or was it conservatives, ah, can't remember so I flamed them all as I hate to seem discriminatory.

I have modded a few boards, posted on many, and for the most part I would say this board is reasonably balanced. If it leans more one way than another, I would suspect this is out of current trends as America cycles left and right depending upon the news and events of the day.

10 years ago, I would have said the needle was leaning left, 5 years ago it was leaning right, and now, it is swinging left again. (albeit within a few degrees)

Old 01-01-2008, 12:05 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,445,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
Because there's an undeniable corollary between the issues and the labels?

Yes, exceptions always exist (The "Pro Gun" Democrat or the "Pro Universal Health Care" Republican), but the issues themselves tuck fairly neatly into the various labels that tag them.
I assure you, my beliefs do not cohere into any of the major categories.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:14 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,248,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
The left allows...as long as you agree with the left. If you are not in step, you are not only stifled, but demonized.

The right says, I don't agree with you, so please don't throw it in my face and let me be. The left says, you don't agree with me, so you are wrong, evil, and deserve to be punished.
Wow. You hit the nail on the head.

Another mantra of the left: if you don't agree with me your intollerant and ignorant! As is evidenced by posts on this forum, and more specifically by posts on this very thread!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Actually I wasn't thinking you were flame throwing, but if you want to own it?

Well I wasn't really, but since the double yellow stripe in the road became America's new radicals, I figured what the hell, might as well live up to it. (chuckling)

While I can certainly understand how people come to lean one way or another depending on how they were raised, their level of formal education, their personality traits, etc... as the both have their pros and cons, but I have never really been able to get my mind around this notion that the world is such a binary thing. While I can see the blissful and comfortable nature in being able to merely lean upon the wall of ones party, it does have a regressive effect in that you no longer have to consider other possibilities, only memorize the party scriptures.

For myself, I would rather be wrong a 1000 times of my own volition than to be right once according to plan, because it would mean someone had expanded their knowledge and understanding, instead of memorizing a favorite tune.

Old 01-01-2008, 03:15 PM

One of several things I like 'bout ya, TnH, is you tink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Well I wasn't really, but since the double yellow stripe in the road became America's new radicals, I figured what the hell, might as well live up to it. (chuckling)

While I can certainly understand how people come to lean one way or another depending on how they were raised, their level of formal education, their personality traits, etc... as the both have their pros and cons, but I have never really been able to get my mind around this notion that the world is such a binary thing. While I can see the blissful and comfortable nature in being able to merely lean upon the wall of ones party, it does have a regressive effect in that you no longer have to consider other possibilities, only memorize the party scriptures.

For myself, I would rather be wrong a 1000 times of my own volition than to be right once according to plan, because it would mean someone had expanded their knowledge and understanding, instead of memorizing a favorite tune.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:26 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,990,458 times
This forum totally leans Communist, even the ones claiming to be "conservative" tend to support the continuation of public schools + interstates and are therefore communists!

This forum totally leans WAY right, even the ones claiming to be "liberals" support the continuation of the vile capitalist exploitasystem and therefore are right wingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies