Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Way Does This Forum Lean... RIGHT or LEFT
Right 31 29.25%
Left 37 34.91%
Not Sure 7 6.60%
Middle of the Road 31 29.25%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:11 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,905,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
gotcha... The maybe the term moderate would better apply than "middle"?
perhaps... I think most people lean to one side or the other if you really add up where they stand on each issue.. on some issues I lean to the right, such as immigration, and spending.. but on social issues I'm more left... but I know that I lean left on more issues than I do right.. so I wouldn't sit here and claim to be down the middle... and battle with as many righties as I do.... that would just be ridiculous would it not?
perhaps moderate is an appropriate term...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 05:09 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,672,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I'm in the middle. I think conservative and liberal idealism is one-sided. IMO, the best thing for America is to take ideas from both sides and create your own angle.

For instance:

Conservative:I don't agree with the government forcing a smoking ban on privately owned businesses

HOWEVER

Liberal:I think that the government should offer a National Health Insurance program that is not limited by income (to compete with the free market).

Being in the middle isn't about not having an opinion, it's about not fully agreeing with either side. And I don't just attack one side. I attack both for being ignorant children who are afraid of each other's "cooties".
I believe its more about not having any real convictions or any guiding political principles.

Old 01-04-2008, 05:32 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,404,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I believe its more about not having any real convictions or any guiding political principles.
How well can real convictions and guiding political principles serve if one is completely disconnected from reality?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:49 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,036,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualung View Post
Republicans will claim the board leans to the left. Democrats will claim the board leans to the right.
Thank you.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:15 PM

110 posts, read 57,986 times
I have tried to do some reading to understand what the forum is all about. I see some mix but it apears there is a heavy leaning toward the left. I suspect this explains why techies support Ron Paul. I understand that many Libertarians consider themselves more right than left but Paul is on balance left.

Old 01-13-2008, 07:18 PM

8,804 posts, read 21,221,088 times
He is??????

Old 01-13-2008, 07:32 PM

110 posts, read 57,986 times
Maybe left is not the proper call. However, it is a fantasy to believe we should not stand up on the world stage and represent ourselves as the greatest power on earth. If the idealism he projects could be effective it would be sweet. However, there is reality and there is idealism. A hallmark of the conservative is reality. a hallmark of the liberal is idealism. The ultimate first priority of the conservative is to defend the country. Nothing of any real worth exists without the freedoms inherent only in America. Those freedoms only exist because of the willingness to defend the country. The one world government will come and all wars will cease when we lose this will. Then we will realize the vision of John Lennon. The only problem is that beautiful song will come with a $2,500 Indain made car, and enough carbon credits to buy a big mac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies