Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 04:49 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
The Washington Times article mentions that a similar measure was introduced in 2010 by Joe Lieberman and Scott Brown, but failed to mention that Republicans had objected. So they have changed their minds?

"Several Republican officials, though, were skeptical of the idea. Representative John A. Boehner of Ohio, the Republican leader, questioned the constitutionality of the proposal.

“If they are a U.S. citizen, until they are convicted of some crime, I don’t see how you would attempt to take their citizenship away,” Mr. Boehner said. “That would be pretty difficult under the U.S. Constitution.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/07/wo...ghts.html?_r=0

there was NO Isis then and "some crime" is vague
but this is a different day! if some asshol&& goes an fights for the enemy
he needs to be stripped of his.her citizenship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2014, 05:49 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
hassan is still an American...

Even after requesting to become part of isis......
Uh, yes. That's pretty obvious. You can't strip someone's citizenship away if they aren't a citizen to begin with.

The question is whether joining a military organization that is fighting against America should be something we allow Americans to do. It is treason. Not just accusing someone whose politics you don't like of being a traitor, but this is actual, literal, by-the-book treason.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:18 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Seems Democrats are more interested in protecting terrorists and illegal aliens than they are in protecting Americans and legal citizens.

Dems block Cruz bill to strip U.S. citizenship from Islamic State defectors
Sen. Ted Cruz tried to get the Senate to consider a measure Thursday providing that any American who joins the fight with terrorist groups such as the Islamic State would immediately renounce their U.S. citizenship, but a Democratic senator objected, saying more time is necessary to weigh the significant constitutional issues it raises.

“It is unfortunate that Democratic senators chose to object to this to prevent this common-sense change in law, and I would note when it comes to the constitutional concerns, I don’t know if anyone in this Senate has been more vigorous or more consistent in terms of defending the constitutional rights of Americans that I have endeavored to be during my short tenure here,” he said. “I will yield to no one in passion for defending constitutional liberties … it is current law right now that if you go and join a foreign nation and take up arms against America, that act has long been recognized as constituting a constructive renunciation of United States citizenship.”
The Law of Treason
From the Constitution Society. The historic background of the treason clause in the Constitution.
Does this not tell us who's side the Democrats are on? This tells me that Democrats are not on the side of America; but I knew that already. They are "Progressives." They seek to destroy America.

VOTE REPUBLICAN!

Old 10-25-2014, 06:36 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Uh, yes. That's pretty obvious. You can't strip someone's citizenship away if they aren't a citizen to begin with.

The question is whether joining a military organization that is fighting against America should be something we allow Americans to do. It is treason. Not just accusing someone whose politics you don't like of being a traitor, but this is actual, literal, by-the-book treason.
hassan was born in Virginia......that makes him a citizen....

He has requested to become part of isis...even written a letter to become part of isis....

Old 10-25-2014, 06:37 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
The GOP and its Head Mr Cruz are showing its true colors. What is that old saying " Fascism will come with a flag in one hand and a bible in the other"

Yup Mr. Cruz fits that one.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
Has there ever been a time in your life that you changed your opinion on something because of certain events?

Given the events fro 2010 to now, events may have swayed those who thought it was not needed then, is needed today? Things have gotten progressively worse in the past 4 years. There are many US citizens have dual citizenship or citizenship from another country and hold a US green card. Take the citizenship/green card away and send them back to the country that they hold a passport for. If there is no option, put them in jail for life. All of this would certainly be a deterrent.
Put them away for life for becoming a citizen? Do you hear what you are saying?

Quote:
Besides, Obama is judge and jury for US citizens who are on the opposite side living in another country. He has no compunction dropping a drone on a US citizen target and take innocent people out along with the target.
And he should rightly be condemned (and IMO, impeached) for that. I said the same about Bush when he said (and did) say he could throw citizens in prison and deny them their due process rights.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:47 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Seems Democrats are more interested in protecting terrorists and illegal aliens than they are in protecting Americans and legal citizens.

Dems block Cruz bill to strip U.S. citizenship from Islamic State defectors
Sen. Ted Cruz tried to get the Senate to consider a measure Thursday providing that any American who joins the fight with terrorist groups such as the Islamic State would immediately renounce their U.S. citizenship, but a Democratic senator objected, saying more time is necessary to weigh the significant constitutional issues it raises.

“It is unfortunate that Democratic senators chose to object to this to prevent this common-sense change in law, and I would note when it comes to the constitutional concerns, I don’t know if anyone in this Senate has been more vigorous or more consistent in terms of defending the constitutional rights of Americans that I have endeavored to be during my short tenure here,” he said. “I will yield to no one in passion for defending constitutional liberties … it is current law right now that if you go and join a foreign nation and take up arms against America, that act has long been recognized as constituting a constructive renunciation of United States citizenship.”
The Law of Treason
From the Constitution Society. The historic background of the treason clause in the Constitution.
Quote:
Sen. Mazie Hirono, Hawaii Democrat, objected, saying the bill has not been brought before the Senate Judiciary Committee and it affects “fundamental constitutional rights, which should be given the full deliberation of the Senate.”

“Legislation that grants the government the ability to strip citizenship from Americans is a serious matter, raising significant constitutional issues,” she said.

Sen. Hirono is right this isn't an issue to be taken lightly and serous thought and deliberation of the Senate is required. Once deliberated though something along these lines should pass.

I think the issue though practically is that the government can't take citizenship away that renders a person stateless. Since ISIS is technically not a state the ISIS fighter may not have a state other than the USA.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
HAHAHA. Stop trampling on the US Constitution and use it when it's convenient.
Quote:
Apparently it has been acknowledged that government to give rights to those that are the most unworthy of said "rights" by the mere fact that they are illegally in the US is somehow "constitutional".
I have no idea what you are saying in either reply or how is applies to the article posted here.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post

Charge and convict them. We already have the solution, why do we need to write new clearly unconstitutional laws?

Old 10-25-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The GOP and its Head Mr Cruz are showing its true colors. What is that old saying " Fascism will come with a flag in one hand and a bible in the other"

Yup Mr. Cruz fits that one.
Have the Dem's tried to stop Obama from killing American citizens without granting them due process? No, this is a very partisan thing. Both parties will on occasion buck the other for politics but both are determined to strip as many rights from us as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies