Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 12:21 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
It's a stigma about mental illness and many are ashamed to seek help. You can see it here by some of the posts. Actually, many don't even realize they need help, they just feel isolated and different.
True. And one of the growing concerns, in my estimation, is all of the nonsense about stigmatizing people and putting them on a "list" if the have mental illness concerns. I know for a fact this happens in my state. Once on the "list" it's no 2nd Amendment or other rights for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 01:43 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Sounds more like a personal incident and old fashion murder than what we typically think of a mass school shooting.
Doesn't matter to those who have an agenda to push. If it can be twisted to fit the narrative of a school shooting, it will be. This is evidenced by their "87 school shootings since Sandy Hook" figure..... a figure that includes an accidental discharge by an officer on school property, a case of self defense, gang violence that occurred on school property after hours, and incidents of violence that occurred right near school property but not actually on it, and many more.

The real figure is more like 7. Around 7 incidents of what we typically think of as school shootings have happened since Sandy Hook. That number is still very much a problem, don't get me wrong, but it just goes to show you to what lengths the anti-gun groups will lie and mislead in order to push their agenda.

Old 10-26-2014, 01:54 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,895,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469
[/b]

Violent movies and video games do not cause someone rational to act like this. And people who do this are not rational. They have a mental illness which needs to be treated.

We as a society cannot seperate ourselves from what we consider entertainment. That's not to say that someone who watches a violent movie is automatically going to go out and commit an act of violence, but the fact that we accept so much violence in our entertainment says a lot about how we view violence as a society. There is no question that we are our entertainment...... It's called social psychology.

Old 10-26-2014, 03:29 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Sounds more like a personal incident...than what we typically think of a mass school shooting.
It probably won't be included since there apparently need to be four fatalities for it to be defined as a "mass shooting."
America's mass-shootings epidemic - LA Times

Old 10-26-2014, 04:10 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Exactly. Every time I see gun lovers trot out comparisons to cars, I want to say "Perfect!!! Let's have the same laws for guns that we have for cars!"
I'm sure many of us would just love to know how having the same laws for guns that we have for cars, would have prevented this. The stupid shallow-minded comments about guns every time some criminal uses one are just over the top! I just checked and not a damn one of my dozens of firearms left the safe! I'm sure that millions of firearms all over America committed no crimes ever! But people like you seem to think that by a stroke of the pen you could make guns disappear and then no more violent crimes would ever happen. You would deny millions of innocent legal gun owners their rights because there are a small minority of people that abuse those rights and violate the law!

The gun used in this shooting was by all accounts legally owned by the shooter's father. He most probably went through a background check. The shooter broke the law by taking the gun, being only 14 years old and not legally able to purchase or possess, then carrying it illegally onto school property, and then killing and assaulting people! But simple minded morons want to blame the gun! Incredible!

Old 10-26-2014, 04:21 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Doesn't matter to those who have an agenda to push. If it can be twisted to fit the narrative of a school shooting, it will be. This is evidenced by their "87 school shootings since Sandy Hook" figure..... a figure that includes an accidental discharge by an officer on school property, a case of self defense, gang violence that occurred on school property after hours, and incidents of violence that occurred right near school property but not actually on it, and many more.

The real figure is more like 7. Around 7 incidents of what we typically think of as school shootings have happened since Sandy Hook. That number is still very much a problem, don't get me wrong, but it just goes to show you to what lengths the anti-gun groups will lie and mislead in order to push their agenda.
Just curious, of the 7 do they mention any mental issues the shooter might of had that could be a factor. I'm currently of the opinion that we have a mental health issue more than a gun issue. Also an access to guns issue where they are not secured properly that could be addressed.
I would add that the media leaves out, sometimes, in an effort to support gun control, the needed information like how the shooters got the guns

Old 10-26-2014, 04:50 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Just curious, of the 7 do they mention...
There have been a heck of a lot more than 7 since then:
Rate of Mass Shootings Has Tripled Since 2011, Harvard Research Shows | Mother Jones

Old 10-26-2014, 05:02 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
I'm sure many of us would just love to know how having the same laws for guns that we have for cars, would have prevented this.
Cars were used in 2 Muslim terrorist attacks last week. One killed the Baby and another pedestrian in Israel and the other killed the Canadian Soldier last week.

Cars may become the next weapon of destruction used by Terrorist.

Maybe we need to discuss restricting the use of autos.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:10 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Cars were used in 2 Muslim terrorist attacks last week. One killed the Baby and another pedestrian in Israel and the other killed the Canadian Soldier last week.

Cars may become the next weapon of destruction used by Terrorist.

Maybe we need to discuss restricting the use of autos.
I absolutely agree. The next car used in a car attack could be yours or mine! It's car nuts like us that perpetuate the problem. I know I'm feeling guilty as hell that I own one. If people really want world peace they should get rid of their cars ASAP.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:33 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,649,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
I absolutely agree. The next car used in a car attack could be yours or mine! It's car nuts like us that perpetuate the problem. I know I'm feeling guilty as hell that I own one. If people really want world peace they should get rid of their cars ASAP.
You may get it in the form of increased checkpoints where they can search your car and rout you away from pedestrian crowds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies