Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 01:11 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I'm a Libertarian and independent in my means to get through life so this all falls on my deaf ears. To "reach out" implies to me you are looking for something. To me the gov should only be responsible for some basic safety things to protect the nations people and not much else. I don't want to be "reached out" too on any level beyond that, we can take care of ourselves, thank you.

And in case you haven't noticed, if you find someone that will "reach out" to you, they are usually lies/rhetoric to get your vote and then you're forgotten.
Exactly. And, no, they haven't noticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 01:14 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,536,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not everyone can do that. That's where vouchers come in. Keeping kids trapped and dumbed-down in public schools is NOT acceptable.

It shouldn't be acceptable to Blacks, but they vote for exactly that time and time again, even though 2/3 of them support school vouchers.

Democrats for Education Reform

Look I would have sold a pint of blood per day to give my child every opportunity. Black/White/Yellow/Brown its rough out there. You make it seem just that easy but its not. Example. Newark, NJ just launch their version of school choice without the vouchers. In Newark, there are some exceptional schools. When they opened up the school choice what that did was drove all of the kids from the bad areas across town to the Good schools so now the kids that lived close to the Good schools are now forced to travel across town to the bad schools. You see in some districts in NJ you have to register your child every year. So now its first come first serve. You need to fix whats broken first otherwise your going to have this blow back. I could tell you right now, Glenridge NJ, (old money town) is NOT going to welcome students from Paterson or Trenton NJ with open arms. So using this voucher program as the be all instead of fixing the issue is just walking around with blinders.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What do you mean ? are there no good schools in louisiana, if not then we have a much bigger problem.
Some are good some aren't. NO child should EVER be trapped in an underperforming public school just to make the teachers unions happy. That's very likely a life-long sentence of struggle and poverty.

Why Blacks insist on doing that to their own children is beyond me.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:20 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,236,576 times
Quote:
It's not about me. If it lifts at least one child out of poverty because they and their family were able to choose a better education, it's worth the effort.

What stumps me is why Blacks continue to allow themselves to be oppressed, and even worse... actually VOTE for that time after time after time.

What benefit will a Black man have or what reason should a black person vote republican?

How come all of us white people know so much more about black people than themselves?

Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Look I would have sold a pint of blood per day to give my child every opportunity. Black/White/Yellow/Brown its rough out there. You make it seem just that easy but its not.
Actually, it is. And Michelle Rhee cites very clear examples:

Michelle Rhee: My Break With the Democrats

Old 10-29-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Some are good some aren't. NO child should EVER be trapped in an underperforming public school just to make the teachers unions happy. That's very likely a life-long sentence of struggle and poverty.

Why Blacks insist on doing that to their own children is beyond me.

You don't get it. Its not about the Teachers union. And furthermore the Charter schools was suppose to be the answer but they are not. You still have the same issue occuring. Parent participation, Effective Board of Education, Quality teachers. The vouchers are descent in theory but damn how many private schools or spaces within these schools do you think there are?

Old 10-29-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
What benefit will a Black man have or what reason should a black person vote republican?
A chance at a better life for his children via access to better educational options.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Actually, it is. And Michelle Rhee cites very clear examples:

Michelle Rhee: My Break With the Democrats

Michelle Rhee is one person. Unless she has traveled to each and every school district it is not. Look up the One Newark program in NJ. It does not work. What happens to the kids that get forced into the under performing schools because their spot was taken by a child who once attended that school. You need to fix the problem don't just ignore it. I'm not saying I'm totally against the vouchers, but you have to fix the problem.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
You don't get it. Its not about the Teachers union.
Oh, yes it is. As I've already quoted...
Quote:
"Pro-voucher voters among racial minorities overwhelmingly support Barack Obama, but they are baffled by the Democratic nominee's opposition to vouchers. They also say they are frustrated that Democratic leaders appear to be more concerned about keeping the peace with teachers unions -- which adamantly oppose vouchers -- than about finding alternatives that could advance desperately needed education reforms for minority students."

Old 10-29-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, yes it is. As I've already quoted...

Let me be clear. As a Parent, I could give a damn about the politician. But as a parent, they don't work. You have to fix the problem in the public schools. again my question is, how many private schools and spaces within those schools do you think there are? So you give these Vouchers then you have to Good schools over run by the kids from the under performing schools. What will that do to the kids who were already in the Good schools? Some towns may not want this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies