Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 02:13 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
But the most unfair thing here is this. Non-CEO's making $1,000,000 a year are paying 35% federal tax rates.
Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2014

While CEO billionaires pay 11% federal tax rates.
Warren Buffett's Effective Federal Income Tax Rate Was Just 11% - Forbes

The republicans say these CEO's use their low tax rates to create jobs and stimulate the economy. But these "greedy" CEO's are the same ones building US factories in Asia so they can get cheaper labor.

The following law makes these CEO's pay their fair share of taxes, but republicans block the law and will not allow it to pass.
Buffett Rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know our tax system is complicated, so I am NOT surprised that you mix "normal earned income' with investment income.

PSST! They are taxed DIFFERENTLY for a reason. You might to look it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 02:18 PM

59,059 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Here is Mitt Romney saying himself, that he has a 14% tax rate, and Americans who make $50,000 a year have a higher tax rate than him.

Romney "My 14% TAX Rate is FAIR!" Oops? - "60 Minutes" - YouTube

Romney says his low tax rate encourages economic growth. But Google image search "Mitt Romney home, vacation home, cars, garage, airplane, children's home, children's cars, " ex.ex.

Romney is using his tax cut money to buy mansions, vacation mansions, classic car collections, motorcycle collections, airplanes, ex.ex.
Right! And he got all those items for free.

In your wildest dreams have you ever thought about how many people are employed in building and supplying those items? i doubt it!

Old 10-27-2014, 02:27 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No fail. Take a look...

The reality of U.S. total average effective tax rates, local, state, and federal, combined, by income cohort. Data courtesy of liberal think tanks:

Bottom 20%: 13%
Middle 20%: 25%
Top 1%: 43%

http://static2.businessinsider.com/i...stribution.png
(Data Sources: Tax Policy Center and Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy)

I've given you this info repeatedly. PLEASE stop being so misinformed.

Completely incorrect. European countries use REGRESSIVE taxes to fund their government and social programs, including national health care. Read the charts:

Other countries don’t have a “47%” - The Washington Post

Oh, and for added fun... European countries have more income equality because they're NOT disproportionately dependent on the rich for their tax revenue.
OK 1st, go look at your graph. Let me explain why you can say that and I will ignore it as it is wrong. So take a look, that's right the tax distribution one. see how the top 1% pays 35% federal taxes? Now we know thats not the effective rate! a significant amount of the .1% where the real money is makes its income from investments-which are taxed far lower, but look your graph labels it that way at 35%. If you're going to lie you probably shouldn't be so transparent huh? Romney paid 14.7%, but the average effective rate was about 22%. Really your graph is nothing but a pack of lies packaged in a graph to look nice and official.

The graph is lazy it confuses marginal rates, vs's effective. Given the topic I can only assume the intent is to deceive. So please, keep on giving me that information, when you look at it you will know its lying to you and we can have a discussion.

PLEASE stop being so misinformed.

Go tell me the effective tax rate in the countries you are discussing. recognize thats a massive transfer down, thats exactly why the gini is better, its a very effectively progressive system, thats my point.

Old 10-27-2014, 02:31 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I know our tax system is complicated, so I am NOT surprised that you mix "normal earned income' with investment income.

PSST! They are taxed DIFFERENTLY for a reason. You might to look it up.
I think people don't always get why investment income is not taxed at an earned income rate. They just think 'stock market' and don't think about the fact that money risked by an investor is going towards business growth in this country. That investor is risking their own money that provides capital for businesses (I'm ignoring things like commodities and bonds for the purpose of this discussion) and then hoping for a profit. The return or 'reward' for doing so is the lower tax rate. That's about as simplistic as I can put it. But I feel like some people just think all income is the same whether it be from investment or earned income. It's generally where they get these rather oddball ideas that the 'rich' are getting 'special' loopholes. They're not. They're available to all of us.
'

Old 10-28-2014, 07:47 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
OK 1st, go look at your graph. Let me explain why you can say that and I will ignore it as it is wrong.
The graph is not wrong. The info comes from 2 LIBERAL/LEFT think tanks.
Quote:
So take a look, that's right the tax distribution one. see how the top 1% pays 35% federal taxes? Now we know thats not the effective rate!
It is when you include FICA, excise tax, etc. Note that the graph includes ALL taxes, local, state, and federal.

In 2009 and 2010, the average total federal effective tax rate for the top 1% was 29.4%. Tax rates have increased on the top 1% since then, so a 35% total effective federal tax rate is accurate. Even the liberal/left think tanks concur.

Table 2, here:
http://www.cbo.gov/sites/default/fil...geTaxRates.pdf

PLEASE, greywar,stop being so misinformed.

Quote:
Go tell me the effective tax rate in the countries you are discussing.
Researchers have already found that European countries have REGRESSIVE tax systems. You've already been provided the info.

The problem here in the U.S. is that the lefty whiners want European-style social programs and benefits, but DON'T want to pay for them like the low- and middle-income earners do in Europe. The greedy lefty masses DON'T want to pay their fair share. European low- and middle-income earners aren't as greedy. They PAY their fair share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies