Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 07:24 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
When did I say that I was afraid that you might defend yourself?
I lived in Detroit for 14 years. Never felt the need to carry a weapon. Never occurred to me, in fact. I grew up in another very large, metropolitan area. I didn't carry a weapon, then either.

We are both fortunate that we've never needed a gun.
I never "needed" fire insurance either.

Ya never need it...until ya need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2014, 07:35 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
There must be comfort in being oblivious.
I'm glad for you. I choose to protect myself.

"In addition," they can't draft me twice.
I'm oblivious? Uh, no. It's rather difficult to be oblivious to violence when one has lived in Detroit.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:36 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Okay. Fair enough. I count you, with the OP, as someone who isn't all talk.

I still don't understand all these potential threats that you perceive, though. Sorry.
How about this for a potential threat?

Or this:

Or this:

Not everyone lives where it is "safe," insulated from reality, and protected by a well-armed government.

I find that security is only an illusion to make the self-deluded "feel" safe.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:43 PM

Quote:
I'm oblivious? Uh, no. It's rather difficult to be oblivious to violence when one has lived in Detroit.
So, yer comfortable with it?
You just ignore it?
You have guards?
What's yer secret?

Old 10-27-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
How about this for a potential threat?

Or this:

Or this:

Not everyone lives where it is "safe," insulated from reality, and protected by a well-armed government.

I find that security is only an illusion to make the self-deluded "feel" safe.
Detroit is insulated from reality? Really? How so?

Old 10-27-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
You choose NOT TO carry a weapon. Fine. Why are you so concerned that others may choose TO carry a weapon?
Well, I live in the US, and I'm not losing any sleep over the fact that people choose to carry weapons. But the OP began this thread presumably to generate some discussion. And since a discussion is ordinarily an exchange of various opinions and ideas, I am contributing my thoughts on the subject. I also happen to enjoy reading/hearing other's thoughts on any issue, even if I don't fully understand or agree with them. I don't want to surround myself with people who think just like I do. IMO, far too many people do.

Would it be better if I simply dismissed proponents of concealed carry as a bunch of gun-crazy nut jobs and vowed to have nothing to do with them, as many do? Would it be better if the gun control issue continues to become a highly contentious one that creates even further division in this country? Quite frankly, if we don't learn to hear each other out on the most controversial of subjects, then the US will become an increasingly polarized nation. I'd say the US is polarized enough already, wouldn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
So, yer comfortable with it?
You just ignore it?
You have guards?
What's yer secret?
30,000+ Americans die in auto accidents every year. Every year. Tens of thousands of others are injured. Are you comfortable with that? Do you just ignore it? Being alert and wearing seat belts while driving certainly help to keep passengers safe, but thousands die notwithstanding. Driving automobiles or being a passenger is a VERY dangerous undertaking. About a year ago, a guy crashed into me in broad daylight with light traffic and clear driving conditions, because he "didn't see me." He basically destroyed the right side of my car. More importantly, had one of my kids been in the passenger side of the vehicle, they would have been badly hurt.

Like tens of millions of other Americans, though, I continue to get into my car - and let my kids get in as well - every day, regardless of the frightening statistics. And driving is only one example of the real dangers we live with every day.

What's my secret? I don't have one. I guess I've just come to accept that LIFE is a risk. Life is one BIG risk. From beginning to end. For all of us. No matter where we live.

If you're carrying a weapon every day because you fear being a victim of random crime/violence, then, imho, your fear is misplaced.

Old 10-27-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
30,000+ Americans die in auto accidents every year. Every year. Tens of thousands of others are injured. Are you comfortable with that? Do you just ignore it? Being alert and wearing seat belts while driving certainly help to keep passengers safe, but thousands die notwithstanding. Driving automobiles or being a passenger is a VERY dangerous undertaking. About a year ago, a guy crashed into me in broad daylight with light traffic and clear driving conditions, because he "didn't see me." He basically destroyed the right side of my car. More importantly, had one of my kids been in the passenger side of the vehicle, they would have been badly hurt.

Like tens of millions of other Americans, though, I continue to get into my car - and let my kids get in as well - every day, regardless of the frightening statistics. And driving is only one example of the real dangers we live with every day.

What's my secret? I don't have one. I guess I've just come to accept that LIFE is a risk. Life is one BIG risk. From beginning to end. For all of us. No matter where we live.

If you're carrying a weapon every day because you fear being a victim of random crime/violence, then, imho, your fear is misplaced.

Didn't you just blow up yer own point?
I do wear seatbelts and drive defensively.
I carry good insurance (literally and figuratively).

Old 10-28-2014, 06:43 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Actually, I am not asking much about me at all.

I have enough quarks to answer that question.

But if I wear a boy, if I actively carried a pistol on dates, if on weekend trips, I carried a rifle as well, what
"should" be the answer?

For me, it's "normal"; people expect me to carry a rifle on away trips.

But how does the rest of the world see people like me........perhaps see people like me that they don't realize exist?

I would wonder why you do not have more firearms for being away from home. but that is me. I tend to have 6-7 firearms plus ammo when I go out of state and have 4 firearms in the vehicle when i am traveling in state.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I travel a lot, and never had a situation where I would NEED to use my gun. I think that traveling with a riffle is a bit paranoid.
If I NEEDED to have gun with me all the times for protection, I would most likely leave this country and live somewhere else, where I would feel safe...

I do not think having a rifle is being paranoid at all. after all, the main reasons for having a pistol if 1, to have since you cannot have a rifle with you, and 2, you have the pistol with you to help you get to your rifle that you should have had with you from the start.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I have some family who hunts and stuff, so I am used to seeing rifles to an extent. Most of the time they are put away, properly, until hunting season.

Knowing a date is packing a gun just because she is out is really strange to me. I don't think I'd have another date with that woman knowing that she insists on carrying a gun wherever they go. It just doesn't sound normal to me.

I get that if you're in the military that you're carrying often, or even at all times. I'm not going to think any less of a soldier who's carrying because they are used to having a gun at all times, and is carrying it properly. I may not want to date a person who's a soldier and thinks like that.

To me it sounds kind of insane, even having more than one gun in there own home is weird. Having a gun in the house strictly for defending yourself is one thing, having like 10 guns in your house is overboard, but I do know some people who have a bunch of rifles and hand guns, and I do not visit those people in there house.

put away properly? you must mean having the firearms in the afe and the ammo somewhere else in the home, whereas you will never get to them if someone does a home invasion on you. how quaint.

if a date is packing with me, then I think she is just being prudent and carrying for her own safety and taking responsibility for her own safety and not relying on gernment for her protection.

10 guns is overboard?

how about 300+?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies