Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 01:08 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,799 times

Advertisements

OP sounds paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 03:47 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,894,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
...........such as when I travel, it's with my USP at the ready. If I am spending overnight at some place at someplace, one can probably bet their money on it that there is a rifle with me as well.

Now, boy or girl, what's the reaction to that?

Now for me, the pistol is part of life. Whether it is USP or a suitable substitute for the mission, it's the way I am. And, if I am far from home and something were to go down, I'd rather have the rifle with me than to be thinking how I an fight back to the armory to get it.

But let's expand the gun question just a little bit more where one knows that if away from home, their boy(girl)toy will be packing...............what's the reaction?

It's not just for me.............but overall. What's the response?

I read this and some of the responses and have yet to figure out what the question is. I don't even know what the OP is hinting to.

What does this sentence mean?

Old 10-26-2014, 03:58 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
...........such as when I travel, it's with my USP at the ready. If I am spending overnight at some place at someplace, one can probably bet their money on it that there is a rifle with me as well.

Now for me, the pistol is part of life. Whether it is USP or a suitable substitute for the mission, it's the way I am. And, if I am far from home and something were to go down, I'd rather have the rifle with me than to be thinking how I an fight back to the armory to get it.

But let's expand the gun question just a little bit more where one knows that if away from home, their boy(girl)toy will be packing...............what's the reaction?

I'm all for it. I travel with one routinely. I also carry a small, very sharp, pocketknife. Use that more than any tool in my toolbox from opening letters and packages to removing hangnails....might also come in handy should I ever have to cut myself or someone else out of a seatbelt.

If I travel far, I carry a 12 gauge in the trunk juuuuuust in case....the typical Mossberg runs between $189 (Maverick) to $279 on sale (Winchester SXP, Rem 870 or Mossberg 500, pick one)......they are cheaper than most pistols and virtually all quality revolvers....hard to dispute their "abilities"......but, they are all very well concealed and I give off the air of someone very much in their 50's. Polite and pleasant to all and if at all possible, willing to walk away from trouble. Quickly.

I look at them as a fire extinguisher you hope you will never have to use but, should a situation deteriorate so badly that they are called upon, at THAT particular moment in time, there is just no substitute. Act accordingly.

They are probably two tools I will never ever shoot in anger and truly hope I have wasted my money on them. After all, you win 100 percent of the fights you walk away from...think about it....if most ccw holders acted like that, and I believe most do, there would be a whole lot of tension dialed down in some parts.

No matter. So long as they are legal, I prefer to carry and recommend to those that do they get some adequate training, practice regularly and train hard to spot problems BEFORE they escalate and evade accordingly.

TR has nothing on me...walk quietly, carry a big bang stick.

Old 10-26-2014, 04:41 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,514,281 times
Quote:

Maybe it's a Texas thing, but I always assume everyone is carrying... Except maybe if I was on a date.

And I'm not all that crazy about the USP. The ergonomics never worked for me and I think you can get virtually the same functionality for a lot less money elsewhere...

Old 10-26-2014, 05:01 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,444,863 times
In my line of work, I carry. Period. You never know what you are walking into with a vacant house. 99% of the time, fine. But I have walked into a home that was taken over as a 'shooting gallery' and a dog locked in to keep others out. Have found vagrants in vacant homes. Then there is divorce work. I know of at least one appraiser that was shot by the husband while doing an appraisal.

People say call 911. Prime example about how useless this is, a lady was being pursued on a Dallas area freeway by her estranged husband. She was on 911 for over 10 minutes as the chase wound through the freeway. Police never showed up, she was killed, she was not carrying but was confident the restraining order and police would be sufficient.

If you don't want to carry, fine. Not my problem. But look at the result of strong gun laws. Illinois has very extreme anti-gun laws and Chicago is one of the most violent cities. Same as DC. Proof is in the results.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:23 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
^^^ I agree! I wouldn't feel safe with a person so paranoid.

I don't know where you overnight, but normally people try to find a safe hotel/motel areas, where they don't need to fear for their life. A riffle could be justified when visiting some very shady ghetto, or sleeping in a tent somewhere in the wilderness.
The only problem with this type of thinking is that bad things DO happen in good places, not just ghetto's.

Having a weapon for self defense is like any type of insurance. It can be seen as very unnecessary until you actually need it, and then woe be unto you if you don't have it.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:26 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I would never date any man who carried a gun anywhere for any reason. Therefore, non issue.
Do you prefer to date emasculated men who don't have the means to defend them-self or their family?

Old 10-26-2014, 05:33 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
Wow....this really took off, didn't it?

One of the things I like about the AR-15 is that in the non ready, it's in a gear bag, sitting disassembled. It's just another duffel bag in the car........but in under a minute, it can be the rifle.

As far is what's the need, hard to say. For one thing, if the car broke down in the middle of nowhere, I'd rather have the rifle to fire off distress shots than be using the pistol for it. Beyond that, though, well I'll leave it to the individual to decide.

As my CHL instructor once said to the why carry question? "BECAUSE YOU WANT TO AND YOU CAN!".
pistols are pretty much the same as rifles as far as sound goes. Rifle might have a few db's on the pistol but its not much. You should never shoot a bullet up into the air though, for obvious reasons.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:36 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,638,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdroplet76 View Post
I wouldn't date anyone that carried. I've travelled all over the country and abroad and have never felt the need for a gun. Actually, I've never felt the need for a gun ever in my life. Guns make me uncomfortable so I don't think I would ever dated someone that carried on them unless it was part of their profession. But then, I probably wouldn't be with someone that needed to carry a gun for work either because I don't think I could handle being with someone in a dangerous line of work.
why do guns make you uncomfortable? It's just a hunk of metal. Unless the person holding it is untrustworthy, whats the issue?

Old 10-26-2014, 05:47 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,070,027 times
Quote:
But if I wear a boy, if I actively carried a pistol on dates, if on weekend trips, I carried a rifle as well, what
"should" be the answer?

For me, it's "normal"; people expect me to carry a rifle on away trips.

But how does the rest of the world see people like me........perhaps see people like me that they don't realize exist?
Well, when I see a female police officer with her firearm, I think it is sexy. I love tough girls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies