Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 08:58 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
No wonder so many of us prefer a secular government and law.
So, you oppose our government, which from the beginning acknowledged God as Creator, and by whom we have been endowed with "certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness (Life, Liberty, and Property, according to Thomas Paine)? That doesn't sound very "secular," does it?

Isn't it funny that the Founders didn't share your view.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:05 AM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The Orange County Public Schools opened Pandora's Box when they allowed World Changers of Florida to distribute Christian Bibles on Freedom of Religion Day. Now they have to accommodate any other religious or nonreligious groups that wish to proselytize on the next one on January 16th. The Satanist Church and the Freedom From Religion Foundation plan to participate.

I grew up in Orlando and various cities all across Florida. The Bible has always been widely available in the school library along with other books like the Koran and the Torah and etc. This is another non-controversy by an attention seeking group.

Last edited by allenk893; 10-26-2014 at 09:18 AM..

Old 10-26-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Religion is best kept at home and at church. I'm upset my tax dollars are spent on Christmas decorations all over town. I have no issue with private displays of religion, if local churches want to fit the bill to put up lights and have parades, thats fine with me. Just quit using my tax dollars to do it.

Then again, I find it funny that folks dance around green trees, yule logs, mistletoe, and other pagan icons celebrating the winters solstice and claim Christianity.

Truth is, religion should be kept out of schools. Students should be allowed to pray, hold prayer groups, whatever. The churches should keep out.
Let's also make sure that the schools stop promoting Islam then. No special prayer rooms, no "halal" food in the cafeteria, etc. And, let's make sure that they don't promote atheism, either. The schools promote a lot of propaganda (which you "secularists" or atheists claim Christianity is).

You can have your dark world. That's for people in "darkness" such as yourself. Christ came as a "light unto the World." Christians are the light of the World:
"You are the light of the World. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." — Matthew 5:12, 15 [The Sermon on the Mount]
We are not supposed to keep our Faith to ourselves. We are supposed to spread the Gospel (Good News). You are free to accept or reject it. As for me, it is a duty to proclaim it.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I see the conflict, government schools worship the state and there shall be no other gods before it.
Get your children out of those mind numbing detention centers if you care.
Perfect, Frank. That's why we home schooled ours.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Let's also make sure that the schools stop promoting Islam then. No special prayer rooms, no "halal" food in the cafeteria, etc. And, let's make sure that they don't promote atheism, either. The schools promote a lot of propaganda (which you "secularists" or atheists claim Christianity is).

You can have your dark world. That's for people in "darkness" such as yourself. Christ came as a "light unto the World." Christians are the light of the World:
"You are the light of the World. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." — Matthew 5:12, 15 [The Sermon on the Mount]
We are not supposed to keep our Faith to ourselves. We are supposed to spread the Gospel (Good News). You are free to accept or reject it. As for me, it is a duty to proclaim it.
Cool then they can pray in the classroom in front of your kids. And no more meatless Fridays. There is no promotion of atheism, teaches can no more teach that there is no god than that there is a god or which god they choose.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I grew up in Orlando and various cities all across Florida. The Bible has always been widely available in the school library along with other books like the Koran and the Torah and etc. This is another non-controversy by an attention seeking group.
Is anyone complaining about having books in the library? That sounds like the sort of thing extremist Christians in this country get bent out of shape over.

If you allow one group to come in and promote their superstition, you have to let other people come in and do the same. As for FFRF, good for them for pointing out the racist, misogynist, genocidal, homophobic, petty and violent portions of the bible that usually get left out when Christians are cherry picking which parts of the bible they want to push onto little kids.

Better to just keep the promotion of religion out of schools entirely, thus avoiding the conflict. Time that would've otherwise been wasted on pushing religious nonsense can instead be used to teach useful things like science and math.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Is anyone complaining about having books in the library? That sounds like the sort of thing extremist Christians in this country get bent out of shape over.

If you allow one group to come in and promote their superstition, you have to let other people come in and do the same. As for FFRF, good for them for pointing out the racist, misogynist, genocidal, homophobic, petty and violent portions of the bible that usually get left out when Christians are cherry picking which parts of the bible they want to push onto little kids.

Better to just keep the promotion of religion out of schools entirely, thus avoiding the conflict. Time that would've otherwise been wasted on pushing religious nonsense can instead be used to teach useful things like science and math.
So you only want your beliefs promoted? Promoted of course being the wrong word here as the schools aren't promoting anything outside of the people's first amendment rights.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:00 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So you only want your beliefs promoted? Promoted of course being the wrong word here as the schools aren't promoting anything outside of the people's first amendment rights.
Where did I say that?

I said we should leave the promotion of religion out of schools entirely. It's a waste of valuable time that could be used to educate students.

But if we are going to allow the pushing of religion in schools, then everyone gets to take a shot at it.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:10 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Where did I say that?

I said we should leave the promotion of religion out of schools entirely. It's a waste of valuable time that could be used to educate students.
Right there.

Quote:
But if we are going to allow the pushing of religion in schools, then everyone gets to take a shot at it.
The Constitution allows it and yes, that covers everyone.

Old 10-26-2014, 10:16 AM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
My understanding from my Constitution course is that the First Amendment does not cover illegitimate religions...
You want the government to sit in judgement over what constitutes legitimate and illegitimate religion? May as well not have a First at all.

Interesting to see how the small-government contingent suddenly changes their tune when Christian Privilege is challenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies