Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2014, 03:01 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
6 to 3 view. So 3 USSC judges believe it unconstitutional. Not a long reach to see that one go the other way. And one of the keys was that the state had a way to allow one to vote without spending any money on an ID. You could show up and sign an affidavit that it was too costly for you.

The court also noted that one of the likely drivers of this law was disenfranchising poor democrats. Said that was insufficient to override the states interest in protecting the process. Now that is a clause any really liberal court is going to override.
Somehow this only impacts poor Democrats? There are poor Republicans who manage to vote. Who manage to register to vote. Who manage to vote on election day and don't need two extra weeks to do it. The excuses of unmotivated people are jaw dropping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 03:03 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,797,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
To be fair I am all for free of charge state issued i.d. so that no one can ever again claim that it is too burdensome to obtain. But lazy people will find a way to do just that.
It is not the fee for the ID Card. It is the fees to get the documents needed for the ID Card. This extends all the way up to needing documents from a court. What do you do if you don't and never had a birth certificate? Who pays the lawyer and the court costs...sometimes in a far distant place from where the person resides.

Mostly people have ID or can easily get it. But there are some nasty exceptions.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
It is not the fee for the ID Card. It is the fees to get the documents needed for the ID Card. This extends all the way up to needing documents from a court. What do you do if you don't and never had a birth certificate? Who pays the lawyer and the court costs...sometimes in a far distant place from where the person resides.

Mostly people have ID or can easily get it. But there are some nasty exceptions.
Maybe. But those few exceptions are not worth the integrity of the voting process.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Somehow this only impacts poor Democrats? There are poor Republicans who manage to vote. Who manage to register to vote. Who manage to vote on election day and don't need two extra weeks to do it. The excuses of unmotivated people are jaw dropping.
That is what the court said. And that apparently was a rationale advanced in the Indiana legislature when considering the law.

It is also likely true. The impact of such things tends to fall on elderly Blacks more than other groups. And they tend to vote very democratic.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:09 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Quote:
6 to 3 view. So 3 USSC judges believe it unconstitutional. Not a long reach to see that one go the other way. And one of the keys was that the state had a way to allow one to vote without spending any money on an ID. You could show up and sign an affidavit that it was too costly for you.

The court also noted that one of the likely drivers of this law was disenfranchising poor democrats. Said that was insufficient to override the states interest in protecting the process. Now that is a clause any really liberal court is going to override.
You can't start looking at split decisions and making some type of qualification on them. Otherwise most of SCOTUS decisions would be in play there. Yes, I think providing free ID is an important component. I also think that asking voters to obtain that free ID is a reasonable burden.

Of course, I have noted I am in favor of national voter ID. Interestingly, the problems that Democrats want to inject into the conversation with Voter ID are not resolved because it becomes a national standard. People would still have to prove identity and citizenship even with national voter ID. Do you really think the Democrats would be in favor of national voter ID after coming out with these arguments against any voter ID from any state?

In addition, I do view the Democrats' viewpoint on voter ID as hypocritical. They are in favor of increasing identification and background requirements on firearms but are opposed to voter ID. Both are rights but to Democrats, only one is sacrosanct? Thus, it is hard for me to take the Democrats seriously when they present their opposition. I cannot help my personal feelings towards them on this issue but the truth is that I do have them. So perhaps I am biased in that regard but I am okay with that.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
That is what the court said. And that apparently was a rationale advanced in the Indiana legislature when considering the law.

It is also likely true. The impact of such things tends to fall on elderly Blacks more than other groups. And they tend to vote very democratic.
The implication being that elderly blacks are "less than." I for one refuse to believe that and am offended on behalf of older black voters.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Maybe. But those few exceptions are not worth the integrity of the voting process.
Roughly 2% of the vote or a few million to prevent how many illegal votes?

And who told you this would have any impact on the integrity of the voting process? The vast majority of the known illegal votes cast are done by people with photo ID

What it does is lower the democrat vote a couple of percent and make Republican feel pure. Does virtually nothing for the integrity of the vote.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
The implication being that elderly blacks are "less than." I for one refuse to believe that and am offended on behalf of older black voters.
The implication being that elderly Blacks are generally Black, elderly and often poor. Easy to check the demographics if you actually want to know. And they vote Democrat close to 90%

Old 11-03-2014, 03:27 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,021,348 times
Quote:
The implication being that elderly Blacks are generally Black, elderly and often poor. Easy to check the demographics if you actually want to know. And they vote Democrat close to 90%
Do you know who is most likely to not have the documents on hand? Poor whites. I wish the Democrats would stop making this about blacks. That's so insulting to me and my family.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
You still are maintaing that blacks are much more incapable of obtaining an id and that is simply untrue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies