Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2014, 09:40 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I haven't seen "thank you for your service" stuff here, maybe I am in California. People here do not care. The pro military folks are normally people who have loved ones served or are currently serving in the military. We have bumper sticker "support our troops" to cheer us up because nobody else really cares. Let me tell you, nobody said ONE thing to my brother when he was in the Marine Corps. They could care less he served or not.

If the store offers a 10% military discount, the store becomes "military worshiper".

Let's all have a reality check please.
When I lived in California, after I got out of the Marine Corps in 1980, I made several trips over the next decade to Oceanside for the express purpose of buying every Marine I encountered a drink (for those who were old enough). We all had a great time, and neither one of us had to thank the other for our service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:43 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I haven't read every post so forgive me if I'm repeating what anyone else said...but I think it's wrong to support the military if they do anything other than self-defense. Obviously politicians are to blame for starting wars, but you're guilty by association if you sign up to take those orders.

Maybe to a degree. And yes it is voluntary enrollment, so yes you do so of your own free will. But if you dangle that carrot and the way the recruiter makes it sound so appealing, I can see why young people are enticed to join. Not to mention events like 9/11 and the fact that we as Americans were enraged about what happened that horrible day and wanted to kick someone's a**, definitely plays into people wanting to sign up.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:43 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Maybe to a degree. And yes it is voluntary enrollment, so yes you do so of your own free will. But if you dangle that carrot and the way the recruiter makes it sound so appealing, I can see why young people are enticed to join. Not to mention events like 9/11 and the fact that we as Americans were enraged about what happened that horrible day and wanted to kick someone's a**, definitely plays into people wanting to sign up.
I do agree with that. I also don't think that makes it okay though. It's understandable that they want the benefits the military offers and that they are motivated by anger with terrorists (or whoever) but it doesn't change the fact that being the initiator of violence is wrong. That's my take on it at least.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:03 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
You could not possibly be more incorrect. They didn't need want protection and they paid for it with their lives:

List of assassinated American politicians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Don't you think this statement is a bit of hyperbole? Did you even look at the list of politicians and the context in which they were killed?

For instance, one of the people listed was "Joseph Smith". He was the founder of the Mormon church. It is highly unlikely that he was killed for his political beliefs. Another man was killed by Pueblo Indians, and was scalped. I'm not sure if I would consider that a "political assassination". Seems more a military operation to me. A year later, one of the men involved in that scalping(Tomas Romero), was then killed by another man(John Fitzgerald).

Solomon Sharp was killed to protect the honor of a woman who had his illegitimate child. And James Strang was also a founder of the Mormon church and called himself a "King". He was killed by Thomas Bedford who had just been flogged for adultery on Strang's orders.

Cornelius Hamilton was killed by his own son who supposedly had "gone crazy". The guy who supposedly "assassinated" John Slough was found not guilty by a court for reason of "self-defense".

The point is, every "assassination" up until Abraham Lincoln upon closer review would be more accurately described as just plain murder, or the result of military operations. When John Adams and many of the early presidents moved into the White House, it effectively had no guards. Presidents regularly walked the streets of our major cities without concern for their safety.

That is simply unfathomable today. Obama wouldn't have made it a week without his security detail.

Some like to argue that it is just how the world has changed over time. I disagree, I think it is a reflection of the state of our society. And also, a reflection of the politicians themselves. A polarizing politician such as Obama, is far more likely to be shot at.

There is a good reason why Abraham Lincoln was shot. His policies had already killed or imprisoned without habeas corpus, a million American citizens.

And that was my point, and I think you can agree with me. So there is no reason to say something so ridiculous and hyperbolic as "You could not possibly be more incorrect".

Old 10-29-2014, 04:16 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
I do agree with that. I also don't think that makes it okay though. It's understandable that they want the benefits the military offers and that they are motivated by anger with terrorists (or whoever) but it doesn't change the fact that being the initiator of violence is wrong. That's my take on it at least.
Do you pay taxes? If so, you're buying weapons, paying military contracts, and essentially killing people.
I understand you must act like holly Judge Judy impersonator in order to feel better about yourself, but don't think for a second that you are not part of it. You are part of the system if you are an American citizen. Heck, even if you hold a green card, you are part of it.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:24 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Do you pay taxes? If so, you're buying weapons, paying military contracts, and essentially killing people.
I understand you must act like holly Judge Judy impersonator in order to feel better about yourself, but don't think for a second that you are not part of it. You are part of the system if you are an American citizen. Heck, even if you hold a green card, you are part of it.
You make it sound like we have a choice to pay taxes and then have a say on how they are spent lol

Old 10-29-2014, 04:27 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
The military doesn't initiate any violence. I didn't support the second iraq war, but the military didn't initiate the violence, that was a President who enjoys a 50+ % approval rate today, and was reelected after losing the popular vote the first time around.

Your issue is with your fellow citizens, but we don't do minority rules.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:27 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,355,944 times
Quote:
I only pay taxes because I'm forced to. I don't have a choice (and don't say I can move somewhere else, because there is nowhere to escape taxation). I think it's wrong to force anybody to pay anything against their will, but it's especially bad when they're forced to pay for things they find evil.

So really it's more like...they take my money under threat of violence and then use it to do things I would never do myself. I don't consider myself a part of it.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
You make it sound like we have a choice to pay taxes and then have a say on how they are spent lol
You are part of the system. That must make your day!

Old 10-29-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I only pay taxes because I'm forced to. I don't have a choice (and don't say I can move somewhere else, because there is nowhere to escape taxation). I think it's wrong to force anybody to pay anything against their will, but it's especially bad when they're forced to pay for things they find evil.

So really it's more like...they take my money under threat of violence and then use it to do things I would never do myself. I don't consider myself a part of it.
Truth hurts, deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies