Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 10:58 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times

Advertisements

I make it a habit to never respect anyone for what job they do. We all need a job or a method to receive income.
Respect yourself first and show it by respecting others is a way forward.

I moved to a new city and had a daughter in 4th grade and she didn't want to go to school because she wouldn't have any friends there. I told her to make new ones. She ask me how to do that. So I told her the best way to make friends is to be one. If you see someone you think you might like as a friend find a way to help them or include them in what your doing. Respect works like that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 11:04 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,445,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valsteele View Post
I don't get why people worship them so much. Why? Nobody cares if you criticize the cops but the military are just international cops.

Of course not. We have an oversize military. But neither party wants to talk about that because A) plenty of people are getting rich off of that and B) it's seen as unpatriotic.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:08 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
I don't get why people worship them so much.
I don't get it either. Where are the "worshipers" ? All I've seen in this thread are "despise" and "dislike"

Old 10-26-2014, 11:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times
I come from a military family and have no positive feelings for the military whatsoever. The US seems to have a culture of pseudo hero-worship when it comes to the military. I've never understood it. The military is monumental waste of resources, but nope, we've got to keep ye olde military-industrial complex propped up.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:55 PM

39,209 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I come from a military family and have no positive feelings for the military whatsoever. The US seems to have a culture of pseudo hero-worship when it comes to the military. I've never understood it. The military is monumental waste of resources, but nope, we've got to keep ye olde military-industrial complex propped up.
well, NONE of the real combat military dudes I know consider themselves as hero. They served because of many many different reasons. Some enjoyed their experiences in the military, some hated it.

As a civilian who had a brother served in the U.S. Marine Corps in the 90s. I thank them (veterans) for THEIR SERVICE. I do not know exactly what they did because none of them really shared "war stories" with me.

All I know is that they definitely made sacrifices, that alone deserves some respect. Do I want to live in a country without strong military? No. I don't.

They sent Marines to fight Ebola, by the way. I won't go if you pay me millions. But Marines have to go. They put their lives on the line for a purpose. Yes, I respect them, the people who served or who are currently serving in the military.

Plus, if I don't like war, I blame the politicians who started the war. Why blame the military?

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 10-27-2014 at 12:04 AM..

Old 10-27-2014, 12:11 AM

654 posts, read 1,250,431 times
Quote:
I don't get why people worship them so much. Why? Nobody cares if you criticize the cops but the military are just international cops.
I think what you are saying is:
They are fighting skirmishes in foreign lands that do not affect the the USA directly and so since its a voluntary military, who cares, because they are volunteering to go in.

Yes, they are brave, but most of us know that their reasons for going in are different ie: cant get a regular job, get a GI Bill (college), past the time, see the world....but never the idea to defend the USA (rare).

So, I see your point, nobody denies they are tough and trained right, yes they are, but the thing is, they are fighting wars in foreign lands that are not directly defending America.

When people say thanks for defending America (when they were in Afghanistan or Iraq) I dont view that as defending America. It really just looks like a skirmish in a foreign land that our soldiers are dying for, which is sad.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:52 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,445,004 times
Does disliking the military make you a bad person?

Absolutely!

Old 10-27-2014, 06:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,133 times
I don't dislike the military. I had 2 grandfathers that fought in WWII (God rest their souls), my father-in-law was drafted and forced to serve in Vietnam. A neighbor of mine also served during Vietnam, and while he didn't see action was stationed in Korea. A dear friend of mine is an ex-marine, and spent time in Iraq. What I do dislike is our foreign policy of misusing our military to nation build instead of what it was intended to be used for, like protecting our own borders.

Old 10-27-2014, 06:42 AM

45,202 posts, read 26,421,987 times
The unjust and immoral wars, bombing, invading and occupying other countries, hmmm whats not to like about the military?

Old 10-27-2014, 06:48 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
It depends on whats and whys you dislike about the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies