Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 08:12 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
and eventually came out an anarchist/voluntaryist/agorist or whatever people want to label me. I'm 25 now, so I'm fairly young, but my ideas are based on principles. If you want to change my mind, you have to convince me that my fundamental principles are wrong. For this reason, I don't think that "as I get older, my views will change because I'll have more life experience". Experience will not change the fact that the initiation of force is wrong, or that you own yourself and the effects of your actions.
hmm, interesting, I'll have to think about this.

Anarchist: Society needs a government but not a large overbearing government like Obama and his administration tried to impose. Even every group, be it a company or a family there is some form of governing be it company policies or hierarchy (parent, child). Even gangs govern it's members .. hierarchy and a code of conduct or there is punishment even in the form of death.

Agorism society of the open marketplace as near to untainted by theft, assault, and fraud as can be humanly attained is as close to a free society as can be achieved.

- Do you think Agorism can be achieved? There will always be people who will take something they did nothing to earn (theft).
- How do you feel about our progressive tax code.. deems how much income is enough, if you make higher income, you don't need it and the % they take increases?

Voluntaryism is a philosophy which holds that all forms of human association should be voluntary.

- I think we have Voluntaryism now.

Force is Wrong: .... how do you feel about Obamacare, a law that mandates (attempts to force) everyone to buy insurance regardless of it's high premiums and it's not being affordable or you are punished with a fine. At the same time it is against your agorism belief because the amount of the fine is dictated by your income while others get health care insurance for little or nothing (theft by government mandate)

Do you work?

Last edited by petch751; 04-04-2017 at 08:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2017, 08:24 AM

19,640 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yep, it's easy to have a heart when someone else is paying for it. When you become responsible for your own family, no matter how much you'd like to help, you realize you can't take care of everyone especially if the people won't help themselves. You also realize there are people who will keep taking as long as you allow it.

The best thing anyone can do for society (barring age or disability) is to be self supporting and not be a taker on society. As you go through life the best thing anyone can do for society is plan and save for their elderly years but the progressive tax code dictates how much income is enough without taking into account people need to save and invest for their futures.
One catastrophe can bring the whole thing crashing down. Things do not always turn out as we planned them despite doing everything right. Social safety nets are essential.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:34 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
One catastrophe can bring the whole thing crashing down. Things do not always turn out as we planned them despite doing everything right. Social safety nets are essential.
How much do you know about the safety net? Or are you like I once was, who also blindly believed there is one because we are told so? ... I now know better.

After my mom fell ill, now severely disabled and now on hospice and in poverty. After having those safety net doors slammed in her face and my learning a lot about how it works I now know it's only for people who didn't amount to much in their lives in the first place. The safety net is not for the middle class who fall into poverty, it's for people who never really tried in the first place or who made way too many mistakes early on, becoming a government dependent for most if not all of their lives.

From cradle to grave.

Last edited by petch751; 04-04-2017 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-04-2017, 09:07 AM

1,065 posts, read 598,167 times
People in their 20's think in black and white - this is why they are chosen for a jury pool for the advantage of rendering a guilty verdict of the accused, as opposed to older people in their 50's.

What does this mean? It means 20 somethings are conservative thinkers who will evolve towards liberal thinking after they have experienced life.

How they apply that liberal thinking with their political leanings is based on their experiences (divorce, job loss, parental death, child care, crop loss from hail storm etc...) - which can only happen with time - usually around age 35.

For example, if they believe, everyone in the USA should have access to abortions or have their farm crops subsidized by the government or that prison inmates have access to TV's, they'd be Democrat; but if those decisions should be based on the unit of government, then they'd be Republican.

Because of all this, there are very, very, very few conservative Republicans in the older age bracket and most are liberal Republicans or conservative Democrats.

Old 04-04-2017, 10:47 AM

19,640 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How much do you know about the safety net? Or are you like I once was, who also blindly believed there is one because we are told so? ... I now know better.

After my mom fell ill, now severely disabled and now on hospice and in poverty. After having those safety net doors slammed in her face and my learning a lot about how it works I now know it's only for people who didn't amount to much in their lives in the first place. The safety net is not for the middle class who fall into poverty, it's for people who never really tried in the first place or who made way too many mistakes early on, becoming a government dependent for most if not all of their lives.

From cradle to grave.
It is well known that people have to spend down in order to receive most government services like long term care. I cannot see how someone would be rejected if they truly became poor, unless they gave their money to a relative which is against the rules.

With ACA if you suddenly get laid off, ill, are awaiting SSI approval, or become under employed you can at least get some type of health insurance. It is not asset based, it is income based so you don't have to be homeless to access it.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:17 AM

778 posts, read 339,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is quote we've seen many times on this forum and of late I've been thinking about if it's true and how this actually works. For I do think in some ways people get more conservative as they age but I don't think it is true. I think part of it is more younger people vote for Democratic (let's use this for liberal for argument sake) with fewer voting for Republican (let's use this for conservatives for argument sake as well,) while on the older side people tend to typically vote Republican with fewer voting fewer (though more) voting Democratic. So by numbers it would make you believe it could be true but there are people who voted on both sides all along are set in their ways. Also there are some young people who voted Republican and call themselves Republican (I did up until the most recent shutdown) and of course there's old Democrats in Washington and those that continue to vote that way.

With me, I mentioned I voted Republican in both elections despite being a registered independent voter. This year with the state primaries I actually voted for more moderate Republicans and then voted more Democrat on the actual early ballot despite some the US Representative candidates for both the Republican and the Democrat party being the same in particular being against US presence internationally. The only real things they disagreed on was immigration and reproductive rights. Despite my vote, I did have a heart. I just couldn't trust the Democratic options. I actually voted against Prop 102, the Arizona state amendment preventing gay marriage/civil unions despite my Republican votes for officials besides Sheriff Joe.

As for how the whole
"If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain," quote works if it does, I think it is mainly is that people all of a sudden around their 30s and 40s worry about what their taxes are used for and for free riders. Think about it, when you are 20 and getting paid low, you think of social justice that you should be given money to keep you afloat. Up until recently, by the mid 30s and 40s, people were set and didn't need assistance and complain about higher taxes because they make more and often times people claim with tax increases, the middle class is hurt (when in reality it is upper middle class at best through most increases.)

What does everyone else think?
When you are young and live for most of your life under the benevolent dictatorship of parents, you focus on "justice" and "fairness" because you feel like everyone should have what you have, although you have not put in the efforts required to provide you with food, shelter, clothing, etc., so you don't realize how the reality of liberalism works. You think that everyone should have what you have because it would not be fair and you didn't work to get what you have, so why should anyone else when there is plenty of money to go around!!!

When you start taking ownership of your life and are responsible for paying all of your own bills (not getting any assistance from mom and/dad) you begin to understand that there is value to your time and you are rewarded for your time, skills, knowledge and effort with a paycheck. Then you have a family and you realize that you are now the benevolent dictator of your own kingdom and you start to resent that others believe that they are somehow "entitled" to the paycheck you earn from your time, skills, knowledge and efforts. You should be able to keep what you earn so that you can provide what you believe you have the right to provide for your family. You resent that there are other people who don't even know you that think they know better about what your family needs and how much you should earn and that you are selfish and greedy because you want to provide for your family.

I also think that you start seeing the reality of "economic justice" is really about an expanding and bureaucratic behemoth called the Federal Government and there has been no improvement in the lives of the welfare class and there is no such thing as "social justice," because in reality, it is just the government telling you what you can and cannot do in every facet of your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies