Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2014, 11:02 AM

893 posts, read 886,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Anything for the rich to keep their foot on the neck of the less fortunate, I guess.

What's really sad, is I can already picture so many tight wad asshats telling little kids to their face to take a hike because they don't "belong", and making damned sure they know that's the reason why.

Pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Sorry right-wingers, we don't do the whole segregation thing anymore. Not on public streets anyway.

The left has become just a freaking clown show.

This "hate the rich" scheme and "anyone who disagrees with me is a racist" crap is getting out of hand.

I realize it's mostly spewed by idiots that refuse to be informed or look at other views than their own little circle but it's pretty ridiculous.

anything for votes though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 11:03 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post

The OP said "rich people" not Democrats!
Sorry, guess I was speaking to those "well to do" on this thread.....

Don't think the right doesn't do their job of cozying up to the poor, they just hide their agenda behind the Bible and Church.

Last edited by wildflower82; 10-28-2014 at 11:12 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Why?

I bought damned near 1000 pieces of candy because I know I'll be invaded with poor kids. I don't care, when I run out, I run out.
Do only poor kids Trick or Treat.....I think an age limit should be set by the parents. By 12 my kids were told to find something else to do, they were no longer 'little'

Old 10-28-2014, 11:08 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's plot to case your neighborhood.
That is why we have gated communities.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Do only poor kids Trick or Treat.....I think an age limit should be set by the parents. By 12 my kids were told to find something else to do, they were no longer 'little'
We have over 100 houses in my neighborhood, one of the better ones in the Clarksville metro area. So people come here because they know

A) they'll get great candy

and

B) lots of houses to hit in one neighborhood. They line up down the entrance to the neighborhood and walk it.

We have lots of people who don't live here that ToT here. If they are poor, it doesn't matter to most of us.

The only ones I don't hand candy out to are the 14 year olds who didn't bother dressing in a costume and carry around a damn pillow case.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:12 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
When I was a kid my mom took us trick or treating around OUR neighborhood. Different times I know, but I can get where the so called snobs are coming from. I worked my a** off to raise my kids in a better neighborhood than I lived in, and I don't mind giving the candy out to the kids from my neighborhood. Like everything else in life we are bombarded to remember those less fortunate than us so much so that something as innocent as Halloween easily turns into a social and political ping pong. While I agree with helping those less fortunate I am getting tired of those looking for something for nothing. That thought unfortunately carries over into Halloween. Sure I know why they come to my neighborhood, I have just become numb due to those few who seem to ALWAYS be trying to run a game. It is up to the parents (like it should be) to provide that positive experience for their child like my parents did not the nearest wealthier neighborhood.
I thought we were all Americans. What does it matter if someone is from another neighborhood?

HOLY CRAP MAN... this tribe mentality is deafening!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:13 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
People... it's once a year, get over yourselves!

Old 10-28-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
We have over 100 houses in my neighborhood, one of the better ones in the Clarksville metro area. So people come here because they know

A) they'll get great candy

and

B) lots of houses to hit in one neighborhood. They line up down the entrance to the neighborhood and walk it.

We have lots of people who don't live here that ToT here. If they are poor, it doesn't matter to most of us.

The only ones I don't hand candy out to are the 14 year olds who didn't bother dressing in a costume and carry around a damn pillow case.
This thread sounds like the invasion of the peasants. When my kids did this, I don't think where the kids came from was an issue. More of the issue was people who just didn't like kids and kept their lights off. Don't people put carved pumpkins out to let people know they're invited to the door?

Seems like tradition is failing, along with parent teaching. My kids where only allowed to approach carved pumpkins at the doorway, otherwise, it was a sign the people didn't want to be bothered.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I thought we were all Americans. What does it matter if someone is from another neighborhood?

HOLY CRAP MAN... this tribe mentality is deafening!
My neighborhood is part time people, mostly summer people. Kids would be lucky to get 5 of us! Our town sets up 5 blocks of houses, the police patrol, all the people decorate and make a big night safe for the town children.

They even invite kids from other small towns nearby to come and enjoy the evening.

Old 10-28-2014, 11:21 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Should hordes of poorer kids be allowed to trick o treat in richer neighborhoods?

"I live in one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country, but on one of the more “modest” streets—mostly doctors and lawyers and family business owners. (A few blocks away are billionaires, families with famous last names, media moguls, etc.) I have noticed that on Halloween, what seems like 75 percent of the trick-or-treaters are clearly not from this neighborhood. Kids arrive in overflowing cars from less fortunate areas. I feel this is inappropriate. Halloween isn’t a social service or a charity in which I have to buy candy for less fortunate children. Obviously this makes me feel like a terrible person, because what’s the big deal about making less fortunate kids happy on a holiday? But it just bugs me, because we already pay more than enough taxes toward actual social services. Should Halloween be a neighborhood activity, or is it legitimately a free-for-all in which people hunt down the best candy grounds for their kids?"

Dear Prudence: On Halloween, poor kids come to trick-or-treat in my neighborhood.
Fake letter designed to proselytize about "inequality", but this is a true situation: it's not just poor kids who cruise into rich neighborhoods looking for bigger and better candy.

When I was growing up kids used to trick-or-treat locally. Now, out-of-town parents chauffeur their kids and many friends to other towns. As a result we go through a lot more candy than we would if trick-or-treating were limited to being local.

The greediness in this country is absurd, and kids learn it early from their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies