Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are anti-"discrimination" laws as currently practiced in much of America, bigoted against
yes 44 33.85%
no 86 66.15%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 09:04 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by NY Jew
no they just make laws like the current anti-discrimination laws that prevent them from following Judaism.

Just to clarify I'm not asking your opinion of the original intent of these laws I'm asking about the ones that include sexual orientation with the current interpretations (by people in governmental power) from across different parts of this country

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
You can follow you judaism all you want, you just cannot run a public business and use it to discriminate. Why can't you understand that? It is not directed at jews or christians, it is directed at all businesses. Having a religion does not mean you can avoid or ignore the law when running a business.
Sorry!!! Religion is (supposed to be) protected 24/7/365

Religious beliefs aren't something you put in a shelf while you're at work. Business owners should have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason. If the consumers do not like it, they will go out of business. Simple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
As free people, you and I should be able to discriminate at will, as long as no physical violence is involved.

Picking & choosing is all about choices. The more choices you have in life, the more freedom & liberties you will enjoy.
One they start legislating moral behavior, they will take your choices away at will.

I discriminate in every choice I make in life and not just people I wish to associate with.
That is exactly right!

The problem is our politicians believe that can legislate anything, including moral behavior. Nothing could be further from the truth.

There is no fix for stupid, ignorant, racist, bigoted, sexual perverseness, and the violently inclined: no law can change this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 09:35 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So a Kosher deli has serve me bacon?
no

Old 10-28-2014, 09:50 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by NY Jew
no they just make laws like the current anti-discrimination laws that prevent them from following Judaism.

Just to clarify I'm not asking your opinion of the original intent of these laws I'm asking about the ones that include sexual orientation with the current interpretations (by people in governmental power) from across different parts of this country

Sorry!!! Religion is (supposed to be) protected 24/7/365

Religious beliefs aren't something you put in a shelf while you're at work. Business owners should have the right to refuse service to anyone, for any reason. If the consumers do not like it, they will go out of business. Simple!

That is exactly right!

The problem is our politicians believe that can legislate anything, including moral behavior. Nothing could be further from the truth.

There is no fix for stupid, ignorant, racist, bigoted, sexual perverseness, and the violently inclined: no law can change this.
Religion is protected, but it does not trump law, nor does it give one the right to discriminate. Why are those of you with a religious belief so eager to use it to judge, condemn and discriminate? What makes you think you are better and above the law that governs all of us? The same 1st ammendment that protects your religious beliefs also protects those without a religious belief from persecution from those with, so many of you seem to think it gives you the right to use your religion as if it were a sword. As an atheist I am as much protected by the 1st as you are.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:15 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What do you think of the special protections businesses get by incorporating? Why should they get special considerations?
Just exactly what does incorporating a business have to do with the business owner's "RIGHT to refuse service to anyone"? The issue here is individual rights, not corporate law.
But, now that YOU mention it, why can a business incorporate in the State which has the most advantageous business climate? Shouldn't they be required to incorporate in the state where they do the most business, or where their corporate headquarters is located?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 AM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,476 times
And the republican party wonders why it can barely get anyone aside from older white males to vote for them.

You are entitled to think what you want but you can't treat anyone how you want. If you're open to the public, you're open to the public. That's how it finally works.

If your religion tells you X group of people deserve to be mistreated you can think that, but thank God, in America if you try and act on that hatred we have laws that will prevent and punish you for acting on it.

You can have whatever going on between your heads but when you act acting on the world, and on others, that's a problem. The idea that everything short of physical violence is okay is ridiculous.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:24 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Religion is protected, but it does not trump law, nor does it give one the right to discriminate. Why are those of you with a religious belief so eager to use it to judge, condemn and discriminate? What makes you think you are better and above the law that governs all of us? The same 1st ammendment that protects your religious beliefs also protects those without a religious belief from persecution from those with, so many of you seem to think it gives you the right to use your religion as if it were a sword. As an atheist I am as much protected by the 1st as you are.
In your first sentence lies the problem. No, religion does NOT "trump law", but the law often trumps religion. Also, the "right to discriminate" is an absolute right, until the government decides different.
Yes, discrimination IS alive and well. It may be minor, like requiring a jacket and tie to enter a restaurant after 6 PM (that restaurant is discriminating against me, because I do not own a jacket and tie. Therefore, instead of suing them, I just won't patronize the joint!). Or, it may be major discrimination. I'm sure you can think of your own examples, IF you put forth some effort.
As for the First Amendment, it guarantees that Congress shall never pass a law establishing a National Religion, and it guarantees the free exercise of religion to the people.
It does NOT say anything about freedom FROM religion!

Old 10-28-2014, 10:33 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Religion does not trump law. If my religion says I have to drive 95 MPH, I will still get a ticket. If my religion believes in human sacrifice, I will still go to jail for murder. IF my religion says that I can not serve women, I will still get fined under anti-discrimination laws.

So no, religious beliefs do not trump the law.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:12 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
No. Why should people be treated as second class citizens due to your belief that fairy tales are true?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowtotheworld View Post
What religion requires you to do that?
Mine does. I don't have to justify my religious beliefs to you or the government.

Old 10-28-2014, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowtotheworld View Post
Why not? Isn't that discrimination?

See, this gets to the root of the Christian t-shirt, baker, and wedding site providers issue. Those people were not discriminating against homosexuals, they were drawing the line at providing a service that they did not offer.

Forcing them to print that shirt, bake that cake, or allow that ceremony to take place on their grounds is exactly the same as forcing a kosher deli to sell someone bacon. It is making them provide a service that is in opposition to their business model.

This begs another question, if being a homosexual is an "immutable trait" worthy of protection under law, how can someone know if someone is a homosexual? There are not tell tale signs like skin color or the clear differences between men and women(which transgender freaks want to erode). The only way to communicate that you are a homosexual is through self reporting, and anyone can do that.

There has never been submitted any proof that homosexuals are "born that way" and even the authors of the homosexual brainwashing blueprint, After the Ball, acknowledge that homosexuality is a byproduct of nurture rather than nature, yet they encourage their acolytes to aggressively spread the "born that way" lie.

What we are left with is a house of cards that can be easily collapsed with the push of a finger. The only backstop that the neo-sodomites and homophiles have to fall upon is their success in bullying and intimidating the courts and local governments to implement anti-discrimination and "marriage" laws in their favor. They can then say that the law is on their side.

To those who fall for this argument, I submit that the Fugitive Slave Act was once the law of the land, and fully supported by the courts.

Would you have obeyed that law too?
So the printers were not in the business of printing tee shirts? The bakers were not in the business of baking cakes? The wedding chapel was not in the business of having civil weddings? Seriously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies